Author Topic: Looking for some pointers  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Barnitz

• View Profile
Looking for some pointers
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:53:27 pm »
Ok, to make this short, I am a senior in Highschool.

My highschool's baseball coach is kind of a Nazi about his field, and he rides around on his mower pulling a drag making the sand look PERFECT pretty much daily.

As a senior prank, we are going to "Overhaul" his mower.

I'm not talking about making it a full racing mower, simply making it look cool and possibly go a little faster. I'll attach a photo I found on the internet for inspiration

Basically, we just want him to have something cool to ride around on.

So, does anyone have any ideas to help us out? Preferably keeping it as cheap as possible. But we are willing to invest some money.

Thanks in advance,
Evan

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some pointers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:58:32 pm »
dont make it any faster take the engine out and clean it up give it a sweet school themed paint job and find a big bow and put on it... there you go... we dont make tractors faster here if they are not goin to built to a specific set of rules or are not going to be used for racing purposes... sorry but ask any of the mods...
There's somethin' in the works...

Offline Barnitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:02 pm »
Well, do you have any pointers on wheels/tires? Preferably on how to mount them.

The leading option is buying some steel golf cart wheels (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-10x8-5-4x4-White-Steel-Golf-Cart-Go-Kart-Rim-Wheel-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f02011ad2QQitemZ270616566482)

I understand your reasoning for not wanting to share engine mods, as then it becomes a safety hazard

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:47:48 pm »
a set of turf masters on aluminum rims would be a major improvement by itself...
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 01:02:19 am »
well if your gonna get golf cart wheels you will have to get 4 bolt hubs so the tires will bolt on. if you were to find out what the tractor is or take a picture of it we can tell you what to do for ideas but because it will be used as a lawn tractor it will be treated as such you will not be advised or told how to speed it up... you can do what you want to the exhaust but performance wise nothing will be advised

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:15:14 am »
Leave it mechanically stock including the exhaust. But give the engine an overhaul so it will last longer. Many times just a good service and cleaning will help the motor last, new oil and filters, maybe some paint and polish here or there. As for body mods, add a hood scoop, some racing stripes or graphics. A new water bottle, a steering wheel wrap, or a new knob on the shift lever. If you are going to replace the wheels and tires replace them with the same size that is on the tractor now so the mechanics are the same. After-all you don't want to change the machine so he cannot use it for it's intended purpose, you just want him to look cooler while doing it.

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 06:02:03 am »
What Toad said...Outstanding!  :+1:
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 06:41:57 am »
Awe shucks, thanks.... :oops:

Offline Barnitz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:35:45 pm »
Thanks for the tips and ideas!

We're still tossing around the idea.

We may have access to another mower, so we could give him a completely different one than the one he uses to mow with. Then we wouldn't have to worry about messing up the mechanics too bad.

We will probably keep it simple and cheap. I thought of the idea today of hollowing out an old baseball bat and putting it over the mower deck handle.

I have access to most of the tools needed to do anything that I would ever want to do (plasma cutter, welder, any socket/mechanics tool anyone would ever need).

I'll be sure to post some pictures up if/when we start the project and of the final outcome.

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 03:52:22 pm »
And you could drill out a baseball and put in a brass threaded insert for the gear shift lever.

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 06:16:26 pm »
there ya go toad... thats what i was thinkin... paint an old pan style seat to look like a catchers mit... rofl  :lol: :P