Author Topic: V twin ignition ?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline quig

• View Profile
V twin ignition ?
« on: November 13, 2006, 06:08:58 am »
 Hi, I have a stock 18hp 350777 B/S that wont pull the corners well. If I run a lower gear it revs too high on the straights. It blackens plugs almost instantly but not oil since it uses no oil. I thought it might be rummimg too rich but I can lean the mixture with the screw and kill it. Ihave heard some of these have diodes between the coils and the grounding lug but I dont have any. Has anyone run into this before or have any ideas?
Thanks

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: V twin ignition ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 07:02:35 am »
If it didn't have diodes between ithem you would not be able to kill the motor or it would run on one cyclinder, or a couple other goofey things. As for lugging off the corner that is expected from a stock motor. Its Stock and you only got so much to work with. 2500 to 5000 is all there is in usable rpm and if you are dropping it below 3000 on a corner it will lug just a bit. Have you change gear ratio by changing pully's 1/4 inch at a time, simply changing gears on your transaxle (i presume thats what you are using) is to broad of a jump and that for sure will lug it in the corner and rev it high on the straight. Thats where a tranny and sprockets come into play. Easy to change 2 teeth at a time anf ifne tune it just a couple 100 rpm at a time instead of couple 1000 by changing gears.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline quig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 07:22:20 pm »
Youre right George, I am running a transaxle I'll try a slightly larger pulley in the back. Do these coils get weak or do they either work or not work, since it doesnt act rich no smoke. I did make the feature this weekend, attrition helps. My next machine is a Murray that will have a 700 if I can find one. As for engine mods they will have to wait until I finish my Mustang.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 07:29:41 pm »
If you had bad coils you would know it. You would be on here wanting to know why it wasn't running Not why is it lugging.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

anything