Author Topic: puzzled  (Read 4577 times)

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
puzzled
« on: October 30, 2010, 10:28:05 pm »
ok I am taking a sportsman tractor and making it an 8:1 ratio. The sportsman had a locked transaxle and I adjusted rear pully to 8:1 ratio and got on and it went to fast. I fooled with it for a while and then put another transaxle in with an open diff adjusted that to 8:1 and it went fine so I'm wondering why the same model transaxle (4 speed foote's) acts this way. This is the forth one I have done and never had  a problem before. But this was the first transaxle that was locked. Is there some kind of gearing in the spiders that make this differance?

Offline Bolens16

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: puzzled
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:09:23 am »
There is no gearing up or down in spiders.
If it has blades I'm not interested.

Offline sandsnipe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 05:19:12 am »
If you truely had an 8 to 1. 8 RPM of engine to 1 RPM of axle.
Only tire size would vary the speed. Just my thought.
Jim
"Life is a work in progress!"

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 05:26:54 am »
Maybe the person that locked the first one changed some gears around inside. It's a very popular thing to do to meet the rules of 'highest available gear' and 'cannot use external physical lockouts'.

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:42:01 am »
I know what your saying that 8:1 is that as long as the motor turns 8 times to one tire rotation. I have made a few of these for the kids at our track to race and they always worked out fine. This one was a welded transaxle that was going in the sportman at our track which can only run transaxles then we changed our mind because we needed another kids tractor on short notice so I geared it out to 8:1 and went to check belt and clutch out and it went way to fast. So back on the stands it went and I checked it 6 more times atleast and it still went to fast. So we raced it as a sportsman for 4 races and last weekend I tried to put it to 8:1 again and same thing it goes to fast. So I have another transaxle that wasn't locked and put that in. Hold one tire do the rotation and take it for a ride its fine works great so lead me to the puzzled comment. I don't know I will mess with it more in the off season and try to make heads or tails out of it just thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had same problem. Thanks guys

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:54:36 am »
I know what your saying that 8:1 is that as long as the motor turns 8 times to one tire rotation.... Hold one tire do the rotation and take it for a ride its fine works great ....

You are doing your 8:1 wrong.. BOTH tires need to turn (locked or un locked) one time to 8 tirns of motor....

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:43:26 am »
I never get the same ratio in a diff  if I don't hold one tire still . If have both off the ground they will spin different almost everytime. Maybe I need a lesson I have four of these that all run like a train that have diffs it was just the welded one that didn't work the same. I thought it would be the easiest. Well maybe its a good thread for education time. I got my info here when I built the first one. I wish rt could run solid axles that would be good.

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 12:19:33 pm »
If you don't have the axle locked together in the transaxle you are loosing ground thru the corners anyway.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 12:39:49 pm »
We call it rookie class for new drivers mostly kids. We try to keep cost down. We also run them left and right turns so diff keeps them from pushing in corners. We try to teach them to drive safely in this class and it works. And at around twenty mph you don't really need it. Our sportsman class has to run ttansaxles also and the forth in points guy has a diff. I will look back at all the tractors and try them without holding one wheel. And see what happens. Thanks guys.

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 01:04:22 pm »
Really need to build yourself a set of rollers. Being in the air you will never get a true 8 to 1 reading. Stuff loads and unloads in the transaxle. Holding one tire, now the spider gears are acting as another multiplier. The locked axle was probably the closest one to 8-1 and the others are way off. Closer to 9-1.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M
2013 USLMRA FXT 2nd place
2013 PSSLMRA FXT Champion
2012 US Open Points Champion FXT Open Twin
2012 MILMRA BP Points Champion
2012 MILMRA FXT Points Champion

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:13:44 pm »
Is that how its done for tech at tracks that check it? So far I have built all the tractors for our track. Got any pics of the rollers? I under stand what your saying and the rollers make sence. Thanks

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 02:59:07 pm »
Is that how its done for tech at tracks that check it?

Yes the rollers are how they are checked by the tech official at the track. Or at least all I've been to they have.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 03:04:33 pm »
I will take some pics tonight and post them.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »
Thanks   that's why I put the problem out there. I knew I was missing something.
Maybe we could kill this thread and do a good one on the correct tech. Of the class. Just a thought. I consider my self somewhat bright but this stuff is new here in Maine and we are learning as we go.

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 04:55:11 pm »
Here is what I built for our track.

A couple of conveyer rollers from the scrapyard. Tubing I had laying around for the framework.

This is with my Daughter's Junior on it. put in highest gear, turn engine until wheels start to move, mark the tire and the flywheel, and then turn engine 8 times.The tire cannot go past the starting point.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M