Author Topic: gear ratio  (Read 5407 times)

Offline mowmanscott

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grasscarmowersports.com
gear ratio
« on: November 15, 2005, 06:09:38 am »
I am looking for a good gear ratio for racing on dirt tracks I'm tired of being beat coming out of the corners I run a 12 HP briggs 11 HP head snapper pipe exhaust high tork starter I run a 7in. pully on the motor 3 or 4 in. on trans axel. I checked my trans axel in high gear (#5) my input pully turns about 6.25 times to rear wheel turning once. Could some one tell me what would be the best set up for me ?  thanks Scott

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
gear ratio
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 06:55:38 am »
That is a trail and error thing. Are you running a tach. If not you need to. To see what your max rpm is at end of straight. You will gear it to hit per say 6000 rpm at end of straight. And this will not garantee they won't beat you off the corners. Depends also on how strong your motor is compared to them, how well you are setting up for the turns compared to them in relation to how ealry you are getting back on the throttle compared to them. Many variables there. Want more pull go dwon a gear or go smaller on motor pully or bigger on transaxle pully but doing this takes away from top end. Thats why you need a tach to adjust it to said rpm so you know for sure what the engine is doing.
George
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

anything