Author Topic: B&S V-Twin Horizontal/Vertical Interchangability  (Read 2977 times)

Offline TrophyRanger

• View Profile
B&S V-Twin Horizontal/Vertical Interchangability
« on: October 27, 2006, 05:17:08 pm »
Being that I know next to nothing about the V-Twin motors, I apologize ahead of time if this is a stupid question. I realize that it is probably greatly dependent on the application but are any of the vertical components (rods, pistons, crank, heads etc.) compatable with the horizontal blocks? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a horizontal Vanguard V-Twin for my little buggy but they seem to be fairly scarce compared to the verticals.  I was thinking that I might be better buying a vertical motor and swapping the parts over to a horizontal block (I'f I can come across one).  Would this even work?

Thanks for your time,

Regards,
Matt

MMcCawley@gmail.com

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Re: B&S V-Twin Horizontal/Vertical Interchangability
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 05:26:05 pm »
Horizontal Vanguards seem to be fairly common on E-Bay at times Matt, you may want to keep an eye out there. Some go reasonable, others of course go outrageously high.

Offline TrophyRanger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 12:39:14 pm »
Thanks, Yeah I'm going to keep my eyes peeled. Any idea on whether or not the horizontal/vertical parts are interchangable?

Thanks again,
Matt

Offline thunderbike99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 07:17:50 pm »
Yes internal parts are the same other than the oil pump routing to the sump.  Pistons, rods, cam, and valvetrain are identical.  Hope that helps.