Author Topic: New guy to this, some questions.  (Read 2671 times)

Offline CSX-216

• View Profile
New guy to this, some questions.
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:48:11 am »
Well Ill start off saying Im not use to modding a lawn mower at all, I have pretty general knowledge of how my tractor runs and operates but for "normal" operation. Im use to working on locomotives, not these  :lol: .
My "ride" is a John Deere 1980ish 216 K341 Kohler. Now here comes the questions...

1. What is the cheapest and easiest way to get it up to 20MPH. Would it be change out the rear pulley?
2. If it does indeed achieve 20MPH, does anything to do with the drive train need work.

I dont want to race it. Just wanted to have it get a little faster for personal fun  :lol: .

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 09:03:29 am »
Pulley swap and remove all slop from steering make sure ya got brakes and wear some safetry gear when you do this. It ain't a 4 wheeler and will be ill handling. And 20 mph on a stock basic mower can be hair raiseing to say the least.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline CSX-216

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 09:14:35 am »
Thank ya much sir, thats what I thought when I seen the big pully on rear. Cant swap one on the front beacause its part of a variable(?) pulley system. 9 inch to say a 4 inch would do the job then?

Offline TheMowinCuban

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 10:32:45 am »
Thats the SAME EXACT mower as my dads! except my dads is a 210. that mower is a BEAST because of the huge horizontal shaft Kohler engine and how heavy it is. i mow with the 210 and i'm terrified of it when i'm going only 7Mph! i cant imagine ever going faster on it!. if your going to make that mower faster, i suggest you take changing the steering into consideration, because the stock steering has too much of a steering lock(from straight wheels to fully turned is 1 1/2 turns of the steering wheel)and the stock set-up breaks Real easily, and you dont want that when your riding along at 40 Mph!
 If i were you, i'd make that mower a Pulling mower because #1, it'd blow all the other pulling mowers away in pure pulling power, #2, going any faster then 15Mph on that mower can be REAL dangerous because if you flipped it with its weight, it could crush you and injure you severely. and #3 because the parts for that old of a mower are VERY rare.( the muffler on my dads 210 went shot, so i went online to try to find a new one, but i could only find one that was sold already, so i had to repair the muffler with a coffee can!)
Gotta love a good 'ol Briggs Flathead! :thumbsup:

Offline CSX-216

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 01:33:43 pm »
I redid the steering once for offroading  :roll: . Its been modded only for that purpose to go in mud pits and stuff, slight mods at that. And as for pulling, that may be the best thing to do, so thanks for the idea!! Still want to make her hit 20mph just for fun but saftey comes first.