Author Topic: Back-halving?  (Read 5722 times)

Offline nico

• View Profile
Back-halving?
« on: November 10, 2005, 09:10:54 am »
I am in the process of building a couple mowers with a more conventional setup than the last project...  The machines will be used in local dirt oval races, not sanctioned USLMRA rules.  Many of the competitive mowers use near a 16" seat height and "old-school" Murray chassis pans.

Would it work to simply cut off the back of the pan, even with the lowest point of the rear fenders, and build a T-bucket style step notch chassis.  I would run square tubing under the edges of the chassis front to rear, then have the rear framerails step up (Z) and actually become the rear fender mounts.  The transaxle (conventional Peerless 5 and 6 speeds) could be hung below the fender mounts.

I feel this could be a light weight and strong setup compared to the pan chassis, but wouldn't have a chance of being legal in a real prepared class...

Any ideas or suggestions on lowering the rear of a transaxle mower?

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
back half
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 11:47:14 am »
we needed to fit some tires that I found at a wreckers yard so we had to narrow the chassis at the back and we used tubing it looked cool with tires that were 14 inches wide and 12 inches tall(aprox). Instead of making a Z bend (very hard to keep straight) just use a straight tube and mount the transaxel above the frame rail.
David Peters

bailey

Tube frame
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 10:51:51 am »
I have just begun building a chassis out of 2" C-channel. I cut the Z out to also mount my fenders to. I see this is an older post. Do you have any suggestions? I boxed in the frame in the back half and gusseted behind the axle mounting brackets. I am using a 700 trans and a 1" axle. I race with a local group with not so strict rules. More safty oriented. I mounted a front end with adjustable camber. Just need to put the finishig touches on it.

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Back-halving?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 05:59:53 pm »
I am having a hard time imagining what you are doing could you post a picture?Is the pan still there and you are using the channel to mount the seat or is the pan gone and the channel is the frame?
David Peters