Author Topic: Chassis for Drag Racing  (Read 14805 times)

Offline JayT312

• View Profile
Chassis for Drag Racing
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:29 am »
Do you guys stretch your chassis any for drag racing?  I seen some use wheelie bars and some don't. i didn't know if there was enough torque where the chassis should be stretched.  i do plan on re-enforcing it. Also can someone inform me the best method for installing a kill switch.  Sorry for lame questions but i want to keep this thing as safe as possilbe just starting out.

Wheelhorseracer

Re: Chassis for Drag Racing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:33:03 am »
Check out the build section for the kill switch. They are inexpensive and most simple ground out the coil. Also you use a tether just in case you get knocked off your mower.

You would have to look to your rules to see if you are even allowed to stretch a chassis.

Who are you racing with and do you have a link to their rules?

Offline JayT312

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:16:17 am »
I haven't been able to locate anyone in my area at the moment that races.  I guess before changing the chassis I should find one first then read over their rules. I'll check the build section for the Kill switch.
thanks,

Offline Racerchck51

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I'm just one of the guys.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:55:20 pm »
Jay,
Drag racing I'm going to say Wheelie bars yes its just a safety precaution...Reinforce the chassie but I DO NOT RECOMMEND stretching it, and what kind of kill switch are you planning on using.

--Jenny

And Jay just so you know there is no such thing as a lame question or a dumb question I learned that along time ago from some of the experienced racers on here. In fact his words to me were '' The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.''
Race for the little girl in the stands that you used to be!
The one that cheered for every racer no matter who they were!
The one that said Daddy, I can't wait to be on the track like them?

Jenny Wade

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 04:57:54 pm »
I agree..

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:22:31 pm »
If your rules allow it streach it!  Look at all the drag cars.
If you hit the wheelie bars you unload the chassis, unless you have it set up to run on the bars.

It is all about leverage.  If you have enough motor to pull the front wheels enough to need wheelie bars you need to start lengthing out the front of the mower to get more leverage on the rear wheels.  And balance, and traction.

Watch some NHRA and listen to the announcers....then go watch a race in person.

Paul
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 08:47:42 am »
If you are going up, you are not going forward.

If you look to the Super Stock cars that hold the records, maybe have abandoned the big wheelstand to plant the tires as it is hard to dial. Maybe just skim the ground or raise 6 inches.

I agree that a longer chassis would help, but if the rules don't allow it, make a wheelie bar with shock and springs on the top half to allow a flex in the bars without unloading the tires and set it so that your front wheelie only raise a few inches.

I suggest using the coil over shocks from a mountain bike. They allow adjustablilty on the preload of the spring.

Offline ctraugh2005

• BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 09:27:25 am »
Cool idea on making the wheelie bars using coil over shocks.   That ones going into the remember folder for when I build my mower.   
Support our Troops
If you cant stand behind them, your welcome to stand in front of them.

baborz

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 09:20:15 pm »
Hydraulic hood/trunk or hatchback struts from most any automobile these days will work for the strut on your wheelie bars. Just pay attention to the compressed length of the strut because you don't want it to over-compress and be useless. You may have to limit the strut with the lower section of the bar or use cable limiters. ;)