Author Topic: Rookie Questions  (Read 7205 times)

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Rookie Questions
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:35:07 am »
I figure I would start a new thread to get all my really dumb/blond/rookie questions answered, then down the road I can delete this thread and no one will know how clueless I was...

I asked this in another thread, but bears repeting..."I'm thinking for a rookie season, I could get away with most any used tire that rolls and has lugs to set up ride height and get my feet wet at the pulls... I'll probably have my hands full sorting the chassis and weight setup out before I notice the tires are holding me back... I hate to drop $700 on top of the line tires when the machine hasn't been to the line yet..."

Is that a fair statement, or are there certain brands/combos to stay away from no matter what...?

Of the 10, 12, 14, and 16 hp (pro light or altered stock)...What size motor/class gets the most action (most hooks per pull) ? Do I want to start in a big (popular) class more compatition, but less action or focus on a "niche" class with less members and take a chance of pulling by myself...(or getting bumped) ? What size motor should I focus on ?

I'm sure I'll have more... :doh:

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rookie Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:36:43 am »
I can give an opinion Squid, seems here a few don't like what I have to say though.

If you want to make sure you have a class to pull in can't go wrong with an altered 12,14,16 kohler. You would surley have alot of competition in the altered 16hp kohler class.

On the front tire thing, pick up a set of 6 inch wheel barrow tires, you can put them on a set of two piece cart rims, with a set of cart hubs with 3/4 bearings in them. Matter of fact I bought a set of the rims from you awhile back.
As far as rear tire you would do well with a set of carlisle super lugs or the firestones if you can find a set. Single cut or double cut. Just depends on the class and if it warrents the need for the pulling tires. I think the carlise's are 4 ply. Just remember if you use a lug tire to make the rear fenders adjustable because a true pulling tire is larger in hieght then a lug tire.
This is a carlise double cut super lug with a 6 in wheel barrow tire on kart rim 2 inch wide halves.

Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 09:40:53 am »
That's all I'm looking for and have respect everyones opinion...you should see the "discussions" we've had on whether a guy should run 1:1 (6" and 6") pulleys on a tranny or overdrive it with an 8" and 5"....lol

I like that down hill slanted small tire look...what kind of rear fenders are those...brand or custom..?
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:58:38 am »
Those are stock cub 70 or 100 fenders. They are pricey on ebay unless you can buy a cub that has them. Look for a 70 or 100 grown up in the farmers weeds.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline pullingman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:04:25 am »
as far as the fenders go, Nichols performance sells after market rolled fenders that are really sharp after you get them painted.  You will need to spot weld them to some sort of box around your seat.  The fenders were around $80 when I bought them a year ago.  They are out of Ohio.
Pullingman

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:34:29 am »
That is one very nice looking Puller... what year is that case?

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 08:45:46 am »
Saw the Nicoles Catalog, lots of good stuff in there...

Probably the way I'll go on fenders if all the E-bay stuff keeps bidding up to $200
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 12:32:52 pm »
I will try to shart answer some of your questions.
If you are looking for the round fenders like the ones on the 70 and 100 Cub Cadet and you are not having any luck try Amstutz pulling parts. I know they use to offer those fenders at a good price.
 As far as tires I would get a used of tires from either Cepek, LawnTec, or Vogel to start with. That way you have you chassis and gear box set up with that particular circumference tire, firestones and Carlisle will drop you a gear in the box if you go with those plus you will have to mess with the hitch height when you switch over and their respective tire life is not as good. Use pro pulling tires can be found at a fair price. As far as the engine size I would stick with the 16, more classes for that size of engine type around the nation than any other. Keep your eye on GTpulling.com there has been a lot of parts for sale on that site lately.

Bruce
Bruce Litton

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 02:35:24 pm »
Dennis nice ride. I see the case decal on the hood but it looks craftsman to me?? just wondering.
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline ctown75

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 02:48:55 pm »
Definitely a craftsman hood..............looks nice on there!
Scott Fox

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 03:15:32 pm »
Added Amstutz to my list...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 03:19:37 pm »
Yes its craftsman sheet metal on a 128 cub chassis. I built it a couple years ago and have since sold it.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:35:34 pm »
randy amstutz is a good guy he usually has lots of good used parts for pretty cheap... he a super nice guy... it just depends some times he has some parts and other times he doesent... just depends on what your looking for... if he doesnt have it he can usually point you in the direction of someone who does...
There's somethin' in the works...

anything