Author Topic: Throttle pedal  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Turf Warrior
  • El Toro Asesino
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road Mowers!
Throttle pedal
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:55:26 am »
I'm looking into mounting a throttle pedal on my wizard. I'd love to seperate the clutch & brake while I'm at it too. The beginning problem is the clutch/brake is on the RH side, so linkage modification will be in order. I'm looking for pedal ideas, as I hate the look of go-kart pedals. Also kinda trying to figure out how I'm going to do this 3 pedal design (brake, clutch, gas). The Toro has seperate clutch & brake, and I'm planning on motorcycle handlebars/throttle for that one with steering mods. I'd rather keep the turn the wheel 30 times from lock-to-lock on the wizard though, with a gas pedal on the RH side (I'm currently using a string, which forces me to drive with one hand, which is scary sometimes and annoying others).

So anyone with any links/pictures of some (non go-kart style) throttle pedals, send them my way! And any ideas on how to do the seperate clutch and brake pedals would be helpful too (not sure if I want the clutch and brake both on the LH side - depending on mounting it might be easier to depress both clutch and brake or harder).
All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association Founder/Administrator

www.offroadmowers.com - When mowing the lawn just don't cut it!

Offline Robert Sparbel

• Turf Warrior
  • I'm going fast!
    • View Profile
Throttle pedal
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 09:53:39 am »
you will want to check out this web site http://www.g-team.us/
Don G. has all sorts of pics posted as well as parts for racing lawn mowers including pedals. He also has some links that I have found helpful.

good luck with your build.
Robert Sparbel MNLMRA LCP
#938 FX & BP
R&T Racing Hudson WI
2006 WILMRA Rookie of the Year
Owner of St Croix Chassis
2007 2nd in WI FX points 13th in national FX points
2008 1st in WI BP points 13th in national BP points
2009 1st in BP and FX points WI & MN
2009 11th in BP national points and 9th in FX national points
2010 3rd Place in National IMOW points
2010 4th Place in National BP points
2010 4th Place in National FX points
www.randtracing.webs.com
www.stcroixchassis.webs.com

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Turf Warrior
  • El Toro Asesino
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road Mowers!
Throttle pedal
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 01:05:55 pm »
I've been over G-Teams website so many times I've pretty much memorized it by now :lol:

And these are the pedals they have:
http://www.g-team.us/Pedals/index.html

Not really what I'm looking for unfortuinately

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Throttle pedal
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:13:54 pm »
With the cover over them they're pretty comfortable, but... they aren't designed for throttle. Those are clutch and brake pedals, both of which you just want to stomp when necessary. You might want to rethink foot pedal on the gas given your use anyhow, as most guys racing avoid these because it's difficult to keep your foot planted and feed gas constantly on a bumpy track. The hand throttle is much in that respect, and although I can see where the run of the mill bicycle brake type lever might be a disadvatage in the woods, there is always the thumb throttle as seen on ATV's, which would tuck it away a little neater under the steering wheel while avoiding the potential for tree limb instigated wheelies and possible decapitation.  :wink:

See -
http://www.arcracing.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/?E+scstore

Scroll down the left side navigation to pedals!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Throttle pedal
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:41:03 pm »
Thing that would bother me on the three pedal setup is only having two feet !!! :shock:

I most cars and trucks with foot control you use both (feet one on each clutch/brake) nothing on the gas...and there are time when you need to coordinate all three..

Most of the guys I've seen using a foot throttle either have a centrifical clutch... or the still run the clutch/brake combined...

Me, I like tapping the brake to set up a corner, feathering the clutch and reving the throttle, release the brake, nail the throttle and pop the clutch to set up a side slide and "throttle steer" thru the corner...

Kinda tough to coordinate with only two feet...

Of course..I can't "dance" worth a Hoot either... :lol:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Turf Warrior
  • El Toro Asesino
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road Mowers!
Throttle pedal
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 08:57:10 pm »
Quote from: "mowdak1"
You might want to rethink foot pedal on the gas given your use anyhow, as most guys racing avoid these because it's difficult to keep your foot planted and feed gas constantly on a bumpy track. The hand throttle is much in that respect, and although I can see where the run of the mill bicycle brake type lever might be a disadvatage in the woods, there is always the thumb throttle as seen on ATV's, which would tuck it away a little neater under the steering wheel while avoiding the potential for tree limb instigated wheelies and possible decapitation.  :wink:

See -
http://www.arcracing.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/?E+scstore

Scroll down the left side navigation to pedals!!

Yeah, I've been juggling ideas for the throttle setup on the wizard for quite some time. I still use the governed speed throttle for setting the cruising speed, but I use the string for higher RPMs and when accelerating from a standstill. I thought about both the lever throttle and the ATV throttle. Even thought about the lock-to-lock ATV style steering with the motorcycle throttle (Like I have planned for the toro), but every option seemed to be inferior to the foot pedal. I'm usually at two speeds when riding. I'm either going really slow and crawling, or I'm doing like 300mph down a trail/road. Whenever I'm going over bumpy parts or anything rough enough that the throttle would be a problem, I use the goverened stock throttle setup. The bicycle brake throttle would work if I modified the stearing so only take about 1/4th of a turn to go from lock-to-lock, but I kinda like having to turn the wheel a few times to go from lock-to-lock when being off-road. I may change it in the future, but for now I actually kinda like it. I also checked out that site previous to posting, and unfortuinately it didn't have any pictures of the pedals (that I could find).

Quote from: "Squidd"
Thing that would bother me on the three pedal setup is only having two feet !!! :shock:

I most cars and trucks with foot control you use both (feet one on each clutch/brake) nothing on the gas...and there are time when you need to coordinate all three..

Most of the guys I've seen using a foot throttle either have a centrifical clutch... or the still run the clutch/brake combined...

Yeah, I consided that also. The design I was playing with would have the gas pedal on the right, and the brake and clutch pedal on the left. I was thinking about having the brake pedal on the inside of the left side, and the clutch on the outside. I was thinking up ways to make the linkage work so that I could mash the clutch down without pressing the brake, but when I press the brake it also preses down the clutch also. I have the design all drawn up in my head too. The other idea I had was to have the brake and throttle on the right side, and just operate the clutch with my left foot. As long as I didn't accidently press the wrong pedal, I think that setup would work the best.

Quote from: "mowdak1"
...while avoiding the potential for tree limb instigated wheelies and possible decapitation.  :wink:

:lol: That brings back bad memories of me trying to ride my brothers 3 wheeler!

anything