Author Topic: Weight  (Read 5104 times)

Offline septemberrein

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Weight
« on: September 07, 2006, 06:28:19 pm »
Which mowers have the heaviest chassis?  We have a weight rule at our track (575 lbs for 9 + engines), but we are finding that adding weight causes too much damage to the frame, floor boards, etc.  Mine for example, we added well over 100 lbs to the left side to make weight.  My floor board is ready to fall off and the frame is getting weak.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Sarah

BSMRA

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Weight
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 07:08:51 pm »
Weight rules are really ugly... Tell them to throw it out! It'd be okay if you were building a racer out of something really heavy, but most mowers simply aren't that heavy to begin with.

Most of your USLMRA machines are running way less than that! Don's G-Team string is all under 400 lbs.

Offline allen minaker

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • LawnMonkey Racing
Weight
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 07:16:57 pm »
do you mean the minimum weight of the MOWchine has to be 575 lbs  ?
if so what you are doing is differant from what most of the racers are trying to do , i have my mower down to around 200 lbs and the heavier mowchines in the group i run with are probable around 350 lbs , the lighter they are the faster they will go .
if you are looking for the heavy mowchines you should look for the older John Deeres and Cubs or the old simplicity and wheel horse mowchines are pretty heavy .
I was wondering why, if i understand you right, you would what a heavy mowchine ??
i was also wondering if you have many racers down by were you live ??

As a local chapter of the USLMRA , we here in WI ( www.WILMRA.com )
have a group of around 50 or mower racers that show up at almost every one of our races .
I saw that youare thinking abought coming up to check us out in Prentice ,
if you make it up make sure you look up the LAWNMONKEY ,I'm not to hard to find most of the time , i would be mower than happy to take you around and interduce you to all of our racers and answer any questions that you might have !!!!!!  HOPE TO SEE YA THERE  !!!!!!!!
LAWNMONKEY RACING
   FX  236
Vice President WILMRA
www.WILMRA.com
http://lawnmonkeyracing.webs.com/

Offline septemberrein

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Weight
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 07:17:47 pm »
DH wants to throw the weight rule out but here's the problem with that.  In the track owner's opinion, in order to stay competitive we have to have wieght rule because there are a couple mowers on the track that are only 8h.  

Weight for 9+h has to be 575 WITH the driver on the machine.

And then here is my next question...  if we get rid of the weight rule, how do we maintain stability on the track.  I had an incredibly hard time with my machine (rear wheel kept lifting on turns) until we added the required weight.  Now I can keep in on the track with out letting off the throttle.  I realize lowering our frame height would help.. right now all machines have to have 6" ground clearance, measuring from frame to ground.  DH wants it lowered to 4".  I'm sure that would help tremendously but what else can be done to help with that issue??  

I know, lots of questions and babble.. lol.  Thanks so much!!
Sarah

BSMRA

Offline allen minaker

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • LawnMonkey Racing
Weight
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 07:23:24 pm »
the tipping part is what makes it fun !!!!!!, LOL , i did my first one on my FX this last weekend at NATIONALS  :oops:
as far as keeping them on the ground the height thing will work wonders , and if your supping up the motors you will be able to slide around the corners instead of tipping , if not you have to move your weight over the right rear tire and hold on real tight .
LAWNMONKEY RACING
   FX  236
Vice President WILMRA
www.WILMRA.com

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Weight
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 07:25:17 pm »
Best thing you can do, is make that race in Prentice, and visit with the guys in the pits afterwards. Be sure to look up Squidd also. He can explain the finer points of front end geometry and weight transfer to you with the mowchine there to look at in example.

Not babble... only stupid question is the one never asked!

You can make them perform flawlessly at considerably less weight! You'll love the show at Prentice guaranteed!!

Offline septemberrein

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Weight
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 07:26:29 pm »
Quote from: "allen minaker"
do you mean the minimum weight of the MOWchine has to be 575 lbs  ?
if so what you are doing is differant from what most of the racers are trying to do , i have my mower down to around 200 lbs and the heavier mowchines in the group i run with are probable around 350 lbs , the lighter they are the faster they will go .
if you are looking for the heavy mowchines you should look for the older John Deeres and Cubs or the old simplicity and wheel horse mowchines are pretty heavy .
I was wondering why, if i understand you right, you would what a heavy mowchine ??
i was also wondering if you have many racers down by were you live ??

As a local chapter of the USLMRA , we here in WI ( www.WILMRA.com )
have a group of around 50 or mower racers that show up at almost every one of our races .
I saw that youare thinking abought coming up to check us out in Prentice ,
if you make it up make sure you look up the LAWNMONKEY ,I'm not to hard to find most of the time , i would be mower than happy to take you around and interduce you to all of our racers and answer any questions that you might have !!!!!!  HOPE TO SEE YA THERE  !!!!!!!!

A heavier machine would mean not having to add so much extra weight to make weight, and less stress on the machine.

We live in Clintonville.  On average, we have 9 mowers on the track each week for races, but we share the track and race night with the go karts.  We hope to make lawn mower racing much bigger in our area for weekly races.  And we will definately look you up if we make it to Prentice.
Sarah

BSMRA

Offline allen minaker

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • LawnMonkey Racing
Weight
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 07:31:25 pm »
I will say THANK YOU from all of us here in the WILMRA for the kind word Rocky !!!!!
we as a group try real hard to put on a class act show , while also HAULIN GRASS !!!!
the show in prentice should be a real treat also being its the last of the year here in WI and most of us will be running for everything we have to make a last minute run for the points .
LAWNMONKEY RACING
   FX  236
Vice President WILMRA
www.WILMRA.com

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Weight
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 07:41:21 pm »
Well I hope by next season, I'll have something to drag to Wisconsin and run with you guys a few times. Gotta butter a few of you up!  

Squidd's easy... an Irish Car Bomb or two, a few beers... and Darrin and Amy are fun too. But we don't want to talk aboot the super model and car bombs in the same sentence! :wink:

Have had a lot of fun with the Wisconsin group Allen, you guys do have a class act going over there. Loooking forward to getting something put together and gettin out that way to run with you guys. Hopefully I'll get a few races put together here next year so some of y'all can make the trek to North Dakota as well.

Oh yes.. and let us not forget your fearless leader and his sweetie... especially since I summoned her here!!  :shock:

Offline allen minaker

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • LawnMonkey Racing
Weight
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 09:42:19 pm »
You can be sure that i never forgot or will ever be able to forget our fearless leader and his queen they are as you my know the other part of LAWNMONKEY RACING and Denis is the on that got me to the point that im at right now and without his help i would still be racein in the back or the pack !!!!!!!
 the FX CHICK is one of the most fearless racers that we race with and i can tell you one thing that her MOWchine is no JOKE !!! :twisted: this year they have added two new MOWchine to there stable and her AP is so kind of fast !!!
LAWNMONKEY RACING
   FX  236
Vice President WILMRA
www.WILMRA.com

anything