Author Topic: Gotta a starting issue  (Read 3964 times)

Offline gofasterthanstock

• View Profile
Gotta a starting issue
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:01:23 pm »
Alright, first off love the site. Im new here and love all the great info. I have recently aquired a mid 80's MTD tractor for fun only, but eventually down the road try racing it. But to the heart of the matter, I need some technical help. I am a Tech for a local lawn care and service center. I have a relatively brand new Cub Cadet (Guy bought it at Tractor Supply) that has a problem starting. I ruled out all the usual safety devices and weak battery, or solenoid. I though at first it might been a weak starter, but I put a new one on just to check, no luck. I can pull the plugs and it cranks over great. If i leave em in it will turn a little bit then stop. If i manually turn it about a half turn it rolls over perfect. I am at a loss. i have adjusted the valves in case one wasnt opening correctly. I need to get it going, any ideas or troubleshooting checks would be great.  Ok heres the info  Cub Cadet Zero Turn  22 HP INTEK V-Twin 44 actual hours on the motor. Also when it came it 6 or 7 times out of ten it would turn over good, then it would act up the rest of the time.

Model # 407577
Type # 0317E1
Code # 050607YG

If you need anymoe info let me know and Ill post it

Thanks alot
Brian
TD Tractor I just got, swapped pulleys, welded frt end, and now im hooked.......

Offline matt25001149

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.WesternOntarioOutlaws.com
Gotta a starting issue
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:48:40 pm »
dosent that motor have a built in comp release?

maybe its broke?
#87 Outlaw
Western Ontario Outlaws

• View Profile
Gotta a starting issue
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 06:51:44 pm »
I was wondering if it did, it seems like thats the problem. But where do i look for it? Is it internal or external? Anyway of testing it?
TD Tractor I just got, swapped pulleys, welded frt end, and now im hooked.......

Offline matt25001149

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.WesternOntarioOutlaws.com
Gotta a starting issue
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 06:53:05 pm »
on the ones ive seen its a part of the cam
#87 Outlaw
Western Ontario Outlaws

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Gotta a starting issue
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 06:57:12 pm »
you should be able to see the exhaust valve move slightly when it comes up on compression at cranking speeds.If not maybe valves are set too loose or it is stuck and not doing its job.
David Peters

• View Profile
Gotta a starting issue
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 06:57:33 pm »
Thats what I was afraid of. Like i said this mower only has 44 hrs on it. Id hate to have to tear it down that soon.

• View Profile
Gotta a starting issue
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 06:58:19 pm »
well I adjusted the valves by the briggs spec in thier book I have, didnt seem to help much. Big thing is, if I have to tear down the motor, I want to be completely positive before I talk to the customer about labor for the job.

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Gotta a starting issue
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 09:41:28 am »
the times when the starter wont turn the engine over check if you can turn it over by hand because if you can I would check to make sure all the connections are good and check that the engine is grounded to the battery,use a pair of booster cables to bypass the electrical on the machine and if it cranks all the time you know that the problem is electrical,not mechanical.
David Peters

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Gotta a starting issue
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 10:16:09 am »
Well if it isn't the battery or the starter, or the valve lash then you only have one other option, CAM. Sounds like the valve lash is not right though since it doesn't do it all the time. Generally if the internal compression release is bad it is a constant issue. Turning the motor back to comression stroke generally helps the starting but is an aggravating thing. Another option is put a 808726 high torque nippen denso starter on it. BUT I would imagine the original flywheel has a platic ring gear and this would probably eat it right off. Recheck your vlave lash. Check it several times be sure cylinder you are working on is 1/4 past top dead center when you are adjusting lash. Generally a motor this new is a lash issue. But if lash is dead on then its a cam.

Briggs Master Service Technician
George
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

• View Profile
Gotta a starting issue
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 08:00:53 pm »
thanks alot guys for the info, turns out it was valve lash, got it set and it starts everytime. Customer was happy it was something simple.

anything