Author Topic: Rebuilding a 1977 Sear LT/10  (Read 34121 times)

Offline miatajoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Crowley Manor
Re: Rebuilding a 1977 Sear LT/10
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 10:20:22 pm »
Bought the wrong mounting bolts for the engine on my way from work today.  Bought 1.5 inch 3/8 bolts and the shoulder was to long and should have picked up 1.25 inch 3/8 bolts.  Oh well another trip to the hardware store.  Still with have it running this weekend.  Snow from yesterday is almost melted and weekend forecast looks great.   

Offline miatajoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Crowley Manor
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 12:26:35 am »
Engine and electronics are installed this evening.  So it is a good sign the engine turns over even thou I need to fill the crankcase up with oil and mount the fuel tank.   Happy I get to drive a 1977 Sears lawn tractor some time tomorrow.  Project is coming to an end and finishing pictures will be posted.   All that is left is mount the engine drive pulley and purchase a key for it.  Must have lost the one that I had.     

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 07:40:32 am »
We need more pics... :D

Offline miatajoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Crowley Manor
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 10:38:54 pm »
More pictures are here and the project is coming to an end.   Installed the gas tank this evening and filled the engine up with oil after I set it down.  Finally found the right woodruf key for the engine pulley.   All I need to do now is install a seat, the front grill and the hood hold downs.   Put some fuel into it then start her up.  Probably not going to happen until this next weekend.  After I got done with all the work this evening had to dig out my snow tires for the car.  They say we are going to get hit hard Wednesday night with more the 6 inches of snow we had Sunday afternoon.  Hmm need to install snow plow and tire chains on my daily driver a Sears LT 2000 Tuesday evening and snow tires on my car.  Then it will be snow time and no time to finish the project build.

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 08:52:35 am »
Them motor tins need some fresh paint to match the shiny mower..

Offline miatajoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Crowley Manor
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 10:36:45 pm »
Yup they do, maybe in the springtime.    :doh:

Offline brandonmc

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 11:41:21 pm »
Thats a really nice looking mower did you use a paint gun or just regular spray paint?? :confused: :D

Offline miatajoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Crowley Manor
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 10:03:39 pm »
Just Rattle Cans to paint it.  If you have a semi clean enviroment rattle cans can produce a decent paint job and once the paint fully cures a coat of cleaner wax will smooth it out.

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 08:20:35 am »
The tins would look great in body color... then put some retro Briggs decals on it.

Retro Briggs Decals

Offline miatajoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Crowley Manor
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 07:49:14 pm »
The tins would look great in body color... then put some retro Briggs decals on it.

Retro Briggs Decals

Dude the original decals amazing enough are still in good shape and I would just have to tape them off when I repaint the engine in the spring.  Great Idea paint it the deep rich color of the body.  I am going for a two tone look.

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 09:24:46 pm »
I would use the thin blue tape around the edge of the decal then paper the middle. Nothing worse than stripping tape and lift a decal off with the tape... mostly if they are in good shape :(

Offline miatajoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Crowley Manor
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2009, 11:29:10 pm »
Took out the brazing torch today to create an exhaust pipe but still need to do some work to it because it is only a foot long.  Once I am done it will lead down under the driver side foot rest.  Poured some fuel into the gas tank this evening fired it up.  That 30 + year old engine fired right up.   Did not want to run her too long because there is back pressure on the exhaust or spark arrest.   Darn thing fired up on the first turn.   

Still need to bend the steering linkage down so I have a steering radius.  The later model steering linkage arms are much shorter then the original arms.   Hmmm wish I could a hold of some the original types but I will modify what I have.   I need the heat them up than bend some metal to make the work.

Offline miatajoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Crowley Manor
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 11:05:08 pm »
Taking the front spindles off the LT 1000 into work on Friday to bend them to fit so I have a full steering radius.  We have a Oxy/Acetalene torch setup with a Rosebud tip to heat them up to bend it into the shape.   Sweet was just on Sears Parts Direct and they still carry the brass steering assembly bushings that I need.  Placed the order this evening will have them by mid next week.

Sorry no new pictures but I took the chrome grill and cleaned it than painted it with 5 coats of clear coat paint to prevent any new rust from forming.   Not as polished as it used to be but will still shine.

Offline miatajoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Crowley Manor
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2009, 11:43:19 pm »
Took the Spindles in today to work and crushed them flat with a hydraulic press and bench vise.  The shop guy and I put a 3 foot bar on the vice to flatten them out.  I reinstalled them this evening and the steering radius is better than stock. Bonus the LT1000 arms after crushing them flat are about 1 inch longer then stock for a quicker steering responce.  The only problem I have with the LT1000 Spindles is the the front tires ride a bit too far on the outside.

The front grill was a little rusted so I cleaned it up with some 000 plastic wool then coated it with 6 coats of clear coat paint to make it shine a bit.

This is a rear view of the almost finished tractor all I need is a seat.

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2009, 07:28:17 am »
Pull that one out and heat and bend to the correct amount of chamber... should be a easy fix. I bit having that tire like that is gonna bug you if you down fix it.

You can really see it in the rear shot of how much it leans.

anything