Author Topic: Aluminum Wheels for Cub Cadet.  (Read 12135 times)

Offline ramman16248

• View Profile
Aluminum Wheels for Cub Cadet.
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:12:50 am »
Hi, I have two Cub Cadets I am getting ready to pull with. (Stock tractors, but I want the Douglas Polished wheels.)  The Puller that will be a dedidated "stock class" is a 1961 Cub Cadet Original.  The other one that I will pull with, but use around the house just a little bit is a Cub 1811 Hydro. ( Basically a clone to a 782, only yellow and white).

What is the best size of rear wheel and tire combo for the Original using Douglas wheels?
Same question for the 1811. I have seen 23x12x12 on some of these 782/1811's in pictures, but will they fit with the stock readends?
 I know those wheels cost alot for both tractors, and I really don't need them especially for the 1811, since I will use it some around the house, But I like the weight savings and more grip for the Original. The 1811 was purchased new by my grandfather. He passed away and I got his Cub. It will be restored and only used around the house for entertaining my 2 young boys. I don't need the wheels for this 1811, but the tractor, to me anyway, is special enough to get the polished wheels and tires!
Thanks for your input, Jason

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminum Wheels for Cub Cadet.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 12:34:19 pm »
You can get Douglas or "Real" wheels for either. The original cub you will have to do some measuring to get the wheel offset correct. 4x8" offset or 6x6" offset is the most common offsets available. With the round fenders on the "cub" you can probably use either the 23" or the 26x12x12 tires without much if any problems. The 1811 you may have to raise the fenders a little to get the 26x12x12 tires to fit under it as well without using wheel spacers you would probably want the 4x8" offset for that tractor. Also note this if I am remembering correctly the original model "cub" tractor uses 7/8" front spindles where that was changed to 3/4" with the model 70 and 100 and has remained all through the IH cub cadet line. So when you order your front rims you should measure the front spindle diameter to make sure you can get hubs to fit those spindles. Also does the 1811 have an internal brake or are the brakes on the hub of the rear axles. If so check when ordering to see if the rims will clear. Not sure if the Douglas wheel will clear the external brakes or not. I think the "Real" rim will.
Bruce Litton

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminum Wheels for Cub Cadet.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:39:54 pm »
Jason, look around when you buy the wheels. Vogel manufacturing is making there own aluminum wheels that are very nice. They even make there own 23-10.50-12 ag tire. Very nice stuff.

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

anything