Author Topic: Which tires are ok to run???  (Read 3787 times)

Offline austinculver

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Which tires are ok to run???
« on: July 30, 2009, 11:13:20 pm »
I run a 16inch tire and everyone that I've talked to runs a 6 or a 8 is there an advantage to runnin a smaller tire??

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
Re: Which tires are ok to run???
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:17:06 pm »
They are probably talking about running 6 or 8 inch rims not tires, most people run 16 inch tires on a 8 inch rim.

But to answer your question ... running smaller tires will put you a little closer to the ground and they will change your gearing.
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline austinculver

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 11:20:18 pm »
Oh now I feel dumb lol thanks though.. There is no way I could go any smaller I already drag on everything but I get it now thanks

Offline racingjohndeere55

• Assistant Pot Stirrer
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I thought it was funny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:47:55 pm »
The reason that some run 16 inch rear tires is because they run with USLMRA and ARMA. US rules state(as far as I know) that you must run the larger tire, ARMA doesn't have that rule. I personally run 13 inch tires all the way around because that is just the way we build them. I dont know if it is a advantage or not. The 16 inch tires put down a larger foot print onto the track than the 13s. This may be a advantage, especially for some of us that are alittle on the larger size. I'm talking about me, I put on 20lbs just in the few months that I have been layed off :omg:

The top of the super sportsman class have both. I think its more of a personal choice than anything else. Georges super sport sits just as low or lower than my 55.

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 02:03:20 am »
I personally run 13 inch tires all the way around because that is just the way we build them. I dont know if it is a advantage or not. The 16 inch tires put down a larger foot print onto the track than the 13s. This may be a advantage, especially for some of us that are alittle on the larger size.

I just put my 16's on this past weekend. They gave me alot more side bite, and more traction off the corner.
I could really tell the difference. The track is made up of a coarse sand that packs decent when watered well.
My 13's stuck very well on a banked clay oval karting track, so on a track like that, the difference may not be so drastic, I will find out in a month or so.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"