Author Topic: AHLMR rules changes  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
AHLMR rules changes
« on: June 24, 2009, 04:23:50 pm »
Heres the new rules pkg guys

American Heartland
      Lawn Mower Racers
United States Lawn Mower Racing Association Affiliate
2009 Racing Rules
SECTION I INTENT AND ENFORCEMENT
A.   The purpose of the rule book is to provide safe, fair, club style class racing.
B.   Neither club nor association memberships are required to compete. However, as it is the intent of the club to grow into a full USLMRA chapter, both AHLMR and USLMRA memberships are highly recommended and advantageous to both the club and the racer.
C.   Enforcement of the policies and regulations lies on the club officers. Any and all rules clarifications and grievances shall be decided by club officers. Those decisions shall be final.
D.   No rule may be changed except by the majority approval of club officers.
E.   Any non safety oriented rule may be waived temporarily by the club President or Vice President for the purpose of allowing a new or visiting racer to compete with an otherwise illegal mower.
F.   As the AHLMR does not own a racing facility, the Owner/Promoter of the facility or event may impose added safety regulations at their will.
G.   These rules are written “In Spirit” not “in Letter”. Any act which defies the spirit of the rule, even though following the letter of the rule, shall be deemed illegal.( This means “The rules do not say I can’t do it!” is not a legitimate argument!)
H.   Any racer deemed to have purposely broken or ignored any rule shall. In the very least lose all standing and points for the race day. More serious or repeat offender shall be dealt with on a case by case basis.
I.   As a new club, AHLMR does not intend for these rules to exclude any mowers or racers. Any safe mower will be allowed to compete. Out of spec mowers will compete in the most appropriate class as determined by basic “speed” of mower as determined by club officials. Out of spec mowers may or may not be scored for points, to be determined on a case by case basis.
J.   Regular racers and club members racing mowers built before the implementation of these rules, or new members joining after, shall be allowed to compete with out of spec mowers for one complete season after they join. After that time. Club members will be asked to either bring their current mower into spec or build a new mower at their own discretion. As well, club members competing with out of spec mowers which show a significant advantage over spec mowers may be asked to bring certain aspects into spec. (I.E. It is determined a consistently dominant racer on a mower with 2” ground clearance has an unfair advantage that could be easily rectified by adjusting the height of the mower would be asked to do so.) Club members whose mowers do not meet spec at the end of such time will compete and be scored in the outlaw classes.
K.   As require by USLMRA affiliate regulations, any USLMRA member will be allowed to compete in their USLMRA class, and any applicable USLMRA points shall be recorded.
L.   Any racer may be removed from competition, or not allowed to register by AHLMR, USLMRA or the track owner/ event promoter or sponsor.
SECTION II RACER REQUIREMENTS
A.   Minimum age for racers is 14. All drivers under the age of 18 must have an approved parental consent form and waiver of liability on file. If parent/legal guardian is not present, parental consent may be sent with child; however, it must be in writing, state temporary guardian for the race day and be notarized.
B.   Racers must be physically and mentally able, as well as skilled enough to safely operate the class of mower they are competing on. Rules concessions may be considered for physically impaired racers.  BP class racers must have one full year of verifiable experience racing ungoverned lawn mowers.
C.   The following safety gear is required for all racers every time they enter the race track.
a.   Correctly fitting D.O.T. or Snell foundation approved, full face, automobile or motorcycle racing helmet.
b.   Goggles or face shield.
c.   Approved, racing neck support.
d.   Long sleeve shirt or jacket.
e.   Full length pants
f.   No loose clothing. (I.E. untucked or unbuttoned shirts, basketball pants, etc.)
g.   Full finger gloves.
h.   Leather, over the ankle footwear.
D.   All driver safety gear will be checked at tech inspection as well as on the grid before entering track.

SECTION III GENERAL MOWER REQUIREMENTS

A.   Final determination of all mower eligibility and classification will be decided by Chief Technical Inspector. In the absence of chief tech, Club Vice president shall fulfill inspection duties.
B.   All cutting blades must be removed.
C.   Any full size riding mower originally manufactured for residential lawn mowing may compete, providing it meets all safety criteria.
D.   All stock mowers must have a functioning kill switch that kills the engine when driver laves the seat. All prepared class mowers must have a functioning, commercially made, tethered kill switch. Homemade kill switches are not authorized.
E.   Electric fuel pumps are not authorized.
F.   All mowers must have a functioning manual clutch. No centrifugal or electric clutches or torque converters.
G.   All mowers must have functioning brakes. All prepared class mowers must have upgraded, either mechanical or hydraulic, brakes on the rear axle. Transaxle or stock mower brakes are not allowed on prepared class mowers.
H.   All mowers must have an inline fuel shutoff. Stock, electrical anti-after fire solenoids are not acceptable.
I.   Mowers must be free of projections or sharp edges which could injure another racer or damage other mowers.
J.   All prepared class mowers must have a primary throttle return spring securely attached to carburetor.  Secondary return spring highly recommended. Secondary return spring may be attached to any part of throttle control system.
K.   Handlebars, or protruding attachments of any kind meant to make steering wheel function as handlebars are not approved. Mowers must have a full, 360 degree steering wheel. “Butterfly” steering wheels are not approved.
L.   Minimum ground clearance from lowest point of chassis is 4”. Minimum ground clearance from deck is 2 ½ “.
M.   All mowers must have either a full deck or deck halves, mounted securely to the frame. Deck/deck halves not to protrude more than 2” past rear tire sidewalls.
N.   All primary body panels must be in place. I.E. hood, fenders, running boards etc., and securely fastened. Accessory panels such as hood side and grill or fender extension panels may be removed. Body panels may be modified discreetly as need for clearance. Body panels may be substituted from a similar model mower, as long as mower maintains a consistent appearance. Simple body panels may be fabricated. I.E. tunnel covers, rear covers.  Rusted through body panels should be repaired or replaced. Lightening holes in body or chassis are not authorized.
O.   Glass headlights should be removed.
P.   Top of engine must be covered.
Q.   All moving drive train parts, I.E belts, shafts, pulleys, gears and chains, must be fully covered.
R.   Mowers must have a seat, positioned centered in the chassis and pointing straight. Bottom of seat pan may not be below the top of rear tires.
S.   All steering components must be tight and safely attached. Tie rods and drag/center links must have safe, functional rod ends. Bolts or pins may not be used as rod ends. Sloppy steering will not be allowed.
T.   Wheels shall be retained with center bolts, thru bolts, castellated lock nuts with pins, lock collars or new cotter pins with washers.
U.   No part of the axle or wheel assembly shall protrude beyond the sidewall of the tire.
V.   Rear bumpers are recommended. Must be a minimum of 7” from ground. May be no wider than rear tire sidewalls.
W.   Front bumpers are not allowed. Engine guards may be used but must be behind the grill and solely for the purpose of protecting the engine or any component of the engine. Any device deemed to be designed for “bumping” another mower is not authorized.
X.   No Offset or stagger. Tires must be of same size on same axle. “Size” to be determined by printed size on tire, not measurement. Any stagger attained by different tire brand, style or air pressure is authorized. Tires must be turf style and of lawn mower origin. No tractor, deep lugged, mud or sand paddles. Cart or ATV tires are not authorized.
Y.   Frames may be discreetly strengthened. “Exoskeletons” are not authorized.
Z.   Wheelbase may not be altered. Axles must be mounted in stock position along length of chassis.
AA.   Axles may be racer fabricated from steel. No aluminum front axles. Axles will be inspected for safety and soundness of construction.
BB.   No suspension of any kind. To include rubber “snubbers”, mounts or spacers.
CC.   Minimum 5” front, 6” rear wheels.
DD.   Maximum tracking width from outer sidewall to outer sidewall is 38”.
EE.   Mowers must have overflow reservoirs (catch cans) for any fluids which may be spilled onto track.
FF.   Crankshaft must be in original orientation and unaltered clearance hole in the frame.
GG.   Lawnmower transmission or transaxles only. Primary drive to be belt.
HH.   Any modifications not specified are not implied.

SECTION IV CLASS DESIGNATIONS AND RULES

1.   Stock
a.   Stock means stock. As delivered from manufacturer with all parts in place.  Any replacement part must not allow for improved performance.
b.   Governed engines, no load speed of 3650 RPM.
2.   S Prepared
a.   Ungoverned, Single cylinder flathead engines factory rated at 13 HP or less and 31 CID or less.
i.   Unaltered internal engine components from same manufacturer as block. Does not have to be manufactured specifically for Flat Head engines.(Example:  This means you can use any Briggs part in any Briggs engine, I.E. OHV rod in Flathead block. However you cannot modify them, I.E. Ground Cams and Balanced cranks are not authorized)
ii.   Billet synchro connecting rods (dog bones) are authorized.
iii.   Must appear externally stock with the exception of Air Cleaner and exhaust.
iv.   Carburetor must be available for that style and brand of engine (Briggs flatheads may use any carb available on Briggs flat head engines) Unmodified with the exception of removing the choke, adding adjustable needle, changing jets, modifying air cleaner attachment (Changing air cleaner attachment to side draft is authorized) and necessary modifications to attach throttle. Throttle modifications not to enhance performance.
v.   Maniold or Carb adapters, spacers
b.   Full size lawn mower chassis. Minimum unaltered wheelbase of  39” . Mid engine frames not authorized.
3.   C Prepared
a.   Ungoverned OHV single and flathead twins 20 HP or less factory rated and 46 CID or less.
i.   Altered internal engine components from same manufacturer  as block. .(Example:  This means you can use any Briggs part in any Briggs engine. You can modify them, I.E. Ground Cams and Balanced cranks are authorized)
ii.   Billet synchro connecting rods (dog bones) are authorized.
iii.   Must appear externally stock with the exception of Air Cleaner and exhaust.
iv.   Carburetor must be available for that style and brand of engine (Briggs Opposed Twins may use any carb available on Briggs Opposed Twin engines) Modifications open.
v.   Must use stock manifold, may be internally modified.
b.   Full size lawnmower chassis. Minimum unaltered wheelbase of 42”. Mid engine chassis are not authorized.
4.   B Prepared
a.   All OHV Twins, factory rated at 25 HP or less.
b.   Full size lawnmower chassis. Minimum unaltered wheelbase of 42”.
5.   Outlaw
a.   All “Built” mowers.
b.   Custom Chassis, aftermarket engine modifications, etc.
c.   Must look like a lawnmower
d.   Engine must be of lawnmower origin.
e.   Must be safe.
f.   If amount of competitors allows, class can be split into Singles & Twins.
Note:  The purpose of this class is to allow visiting racers who may have mowers simply too fast to compete safely with the other classes. It is requested that club members and track regulars only compete in this class as a secondary class in order to maintain solid showing in the prepared classes. If it is determined by club officials that this class is detrimental to the club, it will be discontinued.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

anything