Author Topic: Briggs Stand on Mower Racing  (Read 27093 times)

Offline mowman

• banned
    • View Profile
Re: Briggs Stand on Mower Racing
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 05:10:07 pm »
Old goat refering to George Herrin?????  :lol:
banned

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2009, 05:30:19 pm »
Seen a sign at an Arbys.
"Please have money ready before pulling up to window"
Sorry, really hate that I'm inconviencing you while I dig out MY wallet to pay YOUR wages!

Here's my take on it: When I was young I remember my dad saying to me "Just who do you think you are, you ain't nobody special!" "And when you referred to someone as "special", it was not a compliment.
Meanwhile, the highly educated decided Americans had a problem with their self image, so schools started teaching us that we are all Special! No we have a world full of adults who all think they are something special!

special adj. Surpassing what is common or usual; exceptional: a special occasion; a special treat. Distinct among others of a kind: a special type.

We are not all special!

However, as far as more casulties in manufacturing...I'd have to see some #s to believe that! I remember when every machine shop you walked in had at least a couple of men missing fingers. Not so much anymore.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 07:15:45 am »
My 2 cents;

How did NASCAR get started?  In a round about way, bootleg whiskey running amking MONEY, ya think Ford wanted part of that?

How did it change into what it is now? Money and time. Loads and loads of MONEY, years spent developing rules and tracks and safety features.

Why do the car manufacturer's support it? MONEY.

How are the companies that sponsor cars "protected" from the stupidity of the individual that may build a real race car and drive it on street? MONEY!

I for one DO NOT want our sport to get so expensive that I cannot afford to build and race a mowchine. Also companies that produce aftermarket parts for racing engines wouldn't be able to do so with the freedom that they have now. If folks like Briggs wanted to support lawn mower racing, it wouldn't be long before things got expensive. Any sponsor wants something in return for their investment, usually that something is in the form of MONEY. It may not come directly from the sponsored item, but bottom line it's a "MONEY in my pocket" attitude.

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 04:37:30 pm »
Gentlemen, I have read many good points on both sides of this argument. Granted I am not a mower racer, I am a tractor puller. But some of the woes that are discussed on this topic touch all of us in our chosen race discipline. Backing up to the early heydays of NASCAR, this was during the early muscle car days which NASCAR provided the perfect proofing grounds for the big 3, NHRA also had a big hand in it. IF it was not for these 2 sanctioning bodies you never would have seen the 426 Hemi, the 429 BOSS or the 427 SOHC, and very possibly the 454 and 440 engines, now move forward to the infamous PINTO incident where the fuel tank exploded and the resulting long drawn out lawsuit that came about from this. Before this there was factory involvement in NASCAR, NHRA, NTPA, INDY car and even Bonneville. After that it all shut down due to “product liability laws”, when the courts decided that the manufacturer can and will be held liable for how their product is used. Many gun laws parallel this line of thinking by the way. Some of the factory involvement did return in some venues through a third party as not to have direct involvement in motor sports. But when there is a lawsuit, take for instance the girl who got her hair caught in the clutch, the first thing a trial lawyer will look for in the group of companies involved is the one with the biggest and deepest pockets and that will be the one they focus on. I know it sucks and it is not fair but as many of you have already stated our society has became “sue happy”. The only way I see the factory support from Briggs or any other motor manufacturer would be through a third party, they would work together with design and R&D work but the main party would not be tied to this in any way other than the sharing of info. and even that might be questionable. I remember many years ago, before the internet I did actually get a hold of someone in the Kohler engineering department, after I told him what I was doing and asked if they had done any R&D work in this area the only response I received was a “click” then a dial tone, imagine that. The best advice I could give you is what I have learned in the past few decades. Companies or individuals who build parts, engines in your chosen race field you must support that business. Over time you will build a relationship with them and the information will go both ways I know that it sounds like the most expensive way to go because most of the individuals who race are on very tight budgets and do a lot if not most of the work themselves, I know I do most of the work myself but as far as making parts for the engines I run I will stick to ports, heads and manifolds. Unless you plan on spending large sums of money and R&D time to start manufacturing parts and/or engines then have to set on that investment for a few years until you start getting a customer base you would be money ahead to buy from a good reputable business that already has the parts you need. Don’t be too hard on Briggs; remember they are building engines for power equipment, which is their niche. No company in their right mind would do something to jeopardize themselves financially to help someone do something with their product that it was not designed to do nor intended for.  My .01 worth (government got the other .01). Bruce
Bruce Litton

Offline GTX21

• Turf Warrior
  • PA Posse Rulez!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 04:59:52 pm »
My .01 worth (government got the other .01). Bruce
   :lmfao:
Nathan Mansberger

If your NOT 1st your LAST!

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2009, 09:52:59 pm »
Leave it to someone who drives a Pinto to ruin it for everyone!

The thing that irritates me the most I guess is that Briggs claim to "Produce more race engines than any other company in the world!"
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline GTX21

• Turf Warrior
  • PA Posse Rulez!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2009, 11:25:44 pm »
"Produce more race engines than any other company in the world!" :lol: :roll:
Nathan Mansberger

If your NOT 1st your LAST!

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2009, 03:09:45 pm »
at least they still building engines!!!
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2009, 03:17:05 pm »
"Produce more race engines than any other company in the world!" :lol: :roll:
I seen that on their website at one time.
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 02:13:09 pm »
Just thought I would bring this one back to the top not sure how I've missed this one for the past couple years. :D
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline meanmachine

• Turf Warrior
  • #3-D Race Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 07:51:18 pm »
what it comes down to "u can't fix stupid", And what is wrong with the state of california anyways? i work in the hvac field, i think every product i use my cause cancer in the state of california. what about the other 49 states? in a lawsuit my opinion is that its all about the mighty dollar and somebody must pay$$$$$$$$ the easist way to get money is to get it for someone or some company that has some!!

P.S i'm sure california is a great place full of great people :)
Sometimes i use my own ideas, even if others think i'm wrong.

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2011, 09:41:41 pm »
I have heard from time to time that Briggs does not and will not support Lawn Mower racing, but never a really believable reason why...So I asked them, heres the reponse..

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 12:31 PM
To: Briggsracing
Subject: Contact Us form submission

First name: Jon
Last name: Lewman
Organization: American Hearland Lawn Mower Racers

I have heard that Briggs does not support and will not even talk to Lawn Mower Racing/Racers Is this true, And if so could you explain why?

Because we don't like you! -laughing-  Jon, I'm just kidding.  We are a part of the OPEA (Outdoor Power Equipment Association) which has a stand on lawnmower racing.  This is why you see little, if any direct involvement from engine or end equipment manufacturers.  It comes down to liability and people OUTSIDE of lawnmower racing emulating what you do.  The view of OPEA is that this equipment was never intended or designed for this type of use and therefore is dangerous.

I personally would LOVE to be a part of it but corporately we can't.
Have fun, I'm jealous!

Dave

You will notice the highlighted section.
Now for everyone that has thought that Heymow's policies are too strict, or that the mods need to "lighten up".
Think about this quote!
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline wulfy01

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 11:12:51 pm »
I know that you have to prove racing association membership to buy a factory race sled from Arctic Cat and I though you had to prove you were a karter to buy engines from briggs?  Is that true? Why couldn't they do that? I know there would still be used race engines for sale but it would let the racers buy factory race engines while keeping the ppl that want to make a stocker fast out.  Just a thought.
Justin Wulf
SP #w01

Offline monkeyward71

• Turf Warrior
  • might look bad, but dang shes fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2011, 12:49:36 am »
I know that you have to prove racing association membership to buy a factory race sled from Arctic Cat and I though you had to prove you were a karter to buy engines from briggs?  Is that true? Why couldn't they do that? I know there would still be used race engines for sale but it would let the racers buy factory race engines while keeping the ppl that want to make a stocker fast out.  Just a thought.

im pretty sure u can order any motor from briggs racing, via. it raptor 1 - 3 motors (5hp flathead) or "animal" and even the higher up "world formula"
Brett Craft
2010 pro-x/ outlaw
Craft Motorsports #71
"dont be a bottom feeder, hang it loose on the high and wild side"
brettc_71@yahoo.com

Offline Jeff Digou (Pitguy)

• Turf Warrior
  • Jeff Digou
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2011, 01:10:07 am »
there are dealers out there that sell briggs racing motors.  I can get a animal for less then 500

Windsor Ontario Canada<br /
Jeff Digou