Author Topic: Peerless Parts?  (Read 6861 times)

rustywheels

Peerless Parts?
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:28:37 am »
I've got a Peerless 920-005a disassembled for cleanout and inspection. It was running great but needs a couple of items. The reverse chain can be obtained locally, but I need a replacement drive pinion gear. Mine has pitting on the drive faces of the teeth. I've checked various vendors online but have found nothing except common maintanance items. Could also use some different thicknesses on the axle gear shim washers.
Is there a source for internal gear parts for the peerless?

While I'm at it, what are the details of center drilling the axles for wheel retaining bolts? I figure on using 3/8-18 X 1" bolts and secure with a lock washer and large flat washer.

Thanks,
Don

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Peerless Parts?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 01:44:58 pm »
http://www.outdoordistributors.com/peerless/peerless-partslists.html

Is the parts list...you may have to cross between a couple different models (in same series) to find the steel gears and various "upgrade" parts, but they are all there...

Far as drilling axle...I use 1/4" grade 8...and a washer
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

rustywheels

Peerless Parts?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 09:00:21 pm »
OK, I found a replacement pinion gear at my local Briggs shop, and he GAVE me a #41 chain that I cut and re-riveted back together.
This afternoon I've been selecting various shims from other transaxles to get a nice fit for my gearsets. Now, I'm trying to find that "00: grease. The auto parts stores, the bearing houses, and even Tractor Supply have never heard of it. If I can't find any, I'm going to John deere and get some cotton picker Spindle Grease.
Anybody know who might carry "00" ?

Don

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Peerless Parts?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:20:51 pm »
You'll have to look for local source, but... take your pick.

I would think the second one there a good choice given your locale, except he's a distributor in Massachusetts, sooooo taking it to the next level, go to the source since they're in Texas too... See the Contact link bottom left here. I'm bettin they can tell you where you can find some locally!   :wink:

Offline thenewguy

• View Profile
transmission
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 12:51:58 pm »
hey i would like to know what type of transmission to use in a sp class?

rustywheels

Peerless Parts?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 09:22:15 pm »
Hey, Thanks, Mowdak1!
My Briggs man had one tube of the stuff and is ordering two more tubes to fill my transaxle. I'll check on the price difference on the internet if I need more later on. However, the mower shop is cutting me such good prices I doubt if anyone else can beat him!

Don

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: transmission
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 01:49:31 am »
You bet Don, not a problem... Search Engines are amazing toys! Never know what you might find there!  :wink:

Quote from: "thenewguy"
hey i would like to know what type of transmission to use in a sp class?

Hey newguy,

Try the Driveline section, that should give you a few ideas. Actually there are several different models used that are highly recommended, a few more that are recommended, and a few that most everyone will tell you they wouldn't recommend but a few guys have run them with fair results. All depends upon personal preference and what you can find or afford. Options are also split between transmission and transaxle, some folks lean one direction others lean the other direction.

If you want to run kart type axle w/transmission a Peerless 700 would be easiest to find, they command a pretty good price unless you can find one parked in someone's backyard on a broke mower though. Likewise the Peerless 350 or 400 is a good choice, although the 400 requires a little more work to make it race worthy than the 350.

Offline thenewguy

• View Profile
Peerless Parts?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 11:35:39 am »
hey thanks for the help

Offline tractorracer12

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Peerless Parts?
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 10:53:56 pm »
what do i need to do to get a 3 speed h patteren pat.#3040601 race ready do i need to put a breather in it or any thing else thanks
Tyler Frazier 012-SP

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Peerless Parts?
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 11:10:16 pm »
Quote from: "tractorracer12"
what do i need to do to get a 3 speed h patteren pat.#3040601 race ready do i need to put a breather in it or any thing else thanks

First thing you need to do is get us a model number and manufacturer, patent number doesn't tell us a whole lot.  

See the identifying transmissions thread in the driveline section it offers a few clues on where to look for them, and several pictures that might help identify it. If you can't find Model Number and Manufacturer after that, post a picture of it, maybe someone else can identify it. See the Post Your Pics thread for explanation on how to load them to Photobucket and post them here.