Author Topic: The begining  (Read 124588 times)

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2006, 09:20:06 pm »
300xdeere, you think stock will hold up? If it will i'll just leave it.
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline creechfan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2006, 02:05:33 pm »
What’s that buggy thing all about?

Is it a predecessor to the main stream automobile?

It looks neat what ever it is! LOL

-=CreechFan

Offline Skeeter

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2006, 03:55:54 pm »
coreyk, I took the same clutch arm out that you are talking about. Pull the rubber thing off the outside. (the part you put your foot on) Use a screwdriver and push it between the rubber and the shaft as far in as possible. Then spray some WD-40 down beside the screwdriver and let it run in as far as the screwdriver will let it. Then pull out the screwdriver and twist the rubber part. It will slip off. Wipe out the WD-40 from the inside and it is ready to go back on when you need to re-install it.

Now take the rod and pull it toward you and get just the one side to come out of the frame. the push it (at an angle) toward the mower. It will worm itself out the hole. The foot area will be the last thing to clear the frame.

I took mine out and cut it short. to make a "S" type clutch like George shows in his pictures. The clutch works very well on the test bench. I have not finished the engine for a powered test as of this time. Be advised that making it the way I did will require a trip to the machine shop for some help. Mowdust lives near me and he helped with the machine work to get the flat bar off of the shaft in one piece. I welded the flat bar to the edge of a section of the original clutch swivel. Then I drilled throught it and the clutch bar and used cold roll pins to hold in place. I know this dosen't make a hole lot of sence without any pictures. I will get some posted as soon as possible.

If you want to run the 8" pulley that everone suggest, you will have to remove the pin that the stock idler/clutch pulley pivots on. It is in the way.
I got mine out by taking the stripped down frame outside and turning it right side up, down on the concrete. I placed a large deepwell socket over the pin to the concrete, and used a large ball pinned hammer and a punch to knock it out from the other side. Save it, it will come in handy later.

Scott #396
Scott W. Bittle
#396 The "Mowlenium Falcon"
2007 LSMRA "Rookie of the Year"
2008 LSMRA "Driver of the Year"
2008 LSMRA S/P Champion
2008 LSMRA F/X Champion
2009 LSMRA C/P Champion
2010 LSMRA A/P Champion
2011 LSMRA IMOW Champion

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!

Offline 300xdeere

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2006, 05:10:58 pm »
coreyk um i'm not shure what u mean specifie please and i will try and answer u but u can cut the fenders and make them look realy good without any trouble and um its very good to lower them because wuts the use in lowering all ur axel and stuff to get it to sit low if the fenders are gonna stay hi because well yeh kinda pointless. but good luck all u do to lower them is mark ur cut line then cut like  a half inch undler then bend it around on the line makes it look realy good if u go to my post again there are pictures of my lawn mower finished painted and every thing. good luck.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
The begining
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2006, 08:28:51 pm »
Provided you're not running USLMRA rules you can cut them... if you're running USLMRA rules Corey you need to flare them discreetly

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2006, 08:41:40 pm »
So if i cut them i have to flare them? What do you mean by "flare" roll the edges? And skeeter, i can't do that, there are little pins that go through the bar making it so the bar cannot move. I can't get the pins out either. I might just end up cutting the bar in half, or cutting the pins. Do you think i should run the stock clutch, or make one like is showed in the gteam slideshow?
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »
USLMRA Rules... you can NOT cut them.

They must be flared to allow more clearance to lower the machine that last inch or so. And, it must be discreet... as in not beat flat, gently rolled out so that it looks factory.

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2006, 08:48:40 pm »
So what should i do? roll them in or what? i am confused... lol
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2006, 09:12:42 pm »
Bend them out and slightly up to allow the tires to clear.  There are pictures of a Craftsman around here some place that's too pretty to race, where I believe he explained what he had done there. But... you're going to have to start on the front side of the fender and work your way all the way around to the back. Make it a nice slow gradual flare out toward the middle so it all looks natural.

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2006, 09:14:33 pm »
I'll have to find that thread... thanks!
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2006, 09:26:18 pm »
This is? http://www.heymow.com/index.php/topic,1020.0.html I can see where he pulled the fenders out so the tires "tuck" in there more am i correct?
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2006, 09:39:52 pm »
That would be the one!

If you look close, you'll notice that he's pulled that one out all the way around the fender to give it a cleaner more natural look. If you have any questions on how he did it, drop him a PM.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2006, 08:50:27 am »
Corey,
Did flare them a bit, but not much.  I flattend the lip in the inside of the fenders first.  Lay the flare on an anvil and beat the lip flat with big hammer!  I started in the middle so it would flare a bit just from doing that, but I stoped at the edge where the tires won't touch, to keep the rigidity of the fender.  Then to flare them I took a BIG adjustible wrench (Cresent wrench) and bent the flares slightly.  I only did this because when I got it all put together I didn't look right.  You can gain some clearance by jacking up the back of the fenders off the frame.  I did about 1/4 inch and it makes a big difference in tire clearance.  
Hope this helps.
Sorry no pics of the build, possiby this winter when I tear it down to rebuild.
Later
Paul
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
The begining
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2006, 07:29:51 pm »
Thanks Paul!

And, it's still too purty to race!!   :D

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior