Author Topic: Just for fun  (Read 3496 times)

Offline flipside

• View Profile
Just for fun
« on: July 12, 2006, 02:00:01 am »
I came across something about lawnmower racing and I thought it looked pretty cool.
    Well, i'm 15 and don't have much money. I was thinkin about going out with my friends and looking for a really cheap or hopefully free lawnmower. Anyways, I was wondering how much faster a lawnmower could go just by taking off the blade. I don't really want to race it or anything, just something to have fun with and cruise around on. If I really need to I might change the pulleys.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Just for fun
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 06:32:00 am »
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline flipside

• View Profile
Just for fun
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 03:30:19 pm »
Yea, I already read that. I understand that taking off the blade makes it go faster, but I would like to know how much faster.

Offline nothingtogain244

• View Profile
Just for fun
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 03:38:48 pm »
Like 1/2 a mph faster. LOL

Offline flipside

• View Profile
Just for fun
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 03:50:02 pm »
Ok, well I guess I will just invest in some pulleys. How much do those usually cost?

Offline DarkNyte

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Just for fun
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 04:42:18 pm »
About 15 bucks a piece where i get mine...That is  cast iron though..you can get the other kind cheaper..

Offline flipside

• View Profile
Just for fun
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 05:46:41 pm »
So basically, get the biggest pulley that your lawnmower can fit for the front and the smallest for the back?

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Just for fun
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 06:05:33 pm »
Taking the blades off will not change the speed of your mower.  That's a safety issue, no more, no less.

Bigger pulley on the front, smaller on the rear equals faster.  However, before you go getting crazy with speed, think about the steering.  How tight is it?  Is it all nice and sloppy, as most are, so the first time you break 10MPH you loose control, flip over, and break your neck?  Don't laugh, it very well could happen.

Are you going to open up the transmission/transaxle and make reliability modifications?  If not, how long will that rascal last at anything over 10MPH?

Are you going to lower or widen the mower for stability?

My suggestion would be to go in steps, learn to trot before you go for a full on gallop.   Put a pulley on the back half as big as what's there now, see what happens.   Get it sorted out, then put a larger one on the front.

I think you'll be more successful in going fast AND staying healthy.   Being all the happier for it.

Dale
Wheel Horse of Course!!

anything