Author Topic: !2.5 Gold  (Read 3948 times)

Offline bkwoods19

• View Profile
!2.5 Gold
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:23:45 pm »
I picked up a junked out craftsman yesterday and it came with a 12.5 i/c gold, on the cover it also says it has a cast iron sleeve. Was wondering if this is a good motor and what the gold means? And the cast iron sleeve is opposed to what?

Offline raceswithtractors

• View Profile
Re: !2.5 Gold
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:57 pm »
I picked up a junked out craftsman yesterday and it came with a 12.5 i/c gold, on the cover it also says it has a cast iron sleeve. Was wondering if this is a good motor and what the gold means? And the cast iron sleeve is opposed to what?

I can answer one ?.  a cast iron sleeve as opposed to just an alumunum cylinder. the older engines (up to about the 1950's) were made completely out of cast iron. the reason they started making the engines out of alumunum is the were cheaper to make and didn't weigh as much. also in my opinon it is a god engine.
John W. J. Kahl

mmsports

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 06:23:50 pm »
some of these engines are what is called a cool bore witch is aluminum   no cast iron sleeve they do offer a tiny amount more power but at a cost the cylinder wall will wear out extremely fast. it's called a cool bore because without the cast iron sleeve in it it can transfer heat a little quicker thus it will run a few degrees cooler.   or so says briggs and stratton i've never checked the temps of the 2 different motors. i usually sell cool bore as scrap. although you can have a steel sleeve put in.

Offline Tecken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:32:46 pm »
It may also have the Special Imow cam in it. Search for that one.
The Mighty Yardman

#49 Super Mod

Western Ontario Outlaws.

anything