Author Topic: transaxle info  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Tonyrobe

• View Profile
transaxle info
« on: February 01, 2009, 04:25:39 am »
 hi, so has any one ever tried to race with a peerless 1200 transaxle before, like everyone says its heavy.
Tony Roberson

Offline white54

• View Profile
Re: transaxle info
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 05:46:17 am »
My son and I both raced cub cadets back at the formation of SOLTRA in 1999.The tractors had 1200 peerless transaxles with a side shaft input .A very strong transaxle,gears are good.Did not run lock up rear ends.These were on our first builds.After two years of racing,new designs where needed to keep pace with rest of the field.The 1200 was too heavy, and too hard to design a faster racer arround.Side shaft input too high on transaxle ,you have problems getting your seat low enough.You will also most likely have to run a jack shaft for your belts.Rear axles hard to replace,splined inside.We switched to peerless 600,which l still run.GOOD LUCK
B Alexander

Offline Tonyrobe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:55:36 am »
 do u know what i need to do 2 make it into a posi, and what pulleys did u run, im going to run a mod 18 hp vangaurd, thanks
Tony Roberson

Offline white54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:14:02 pm »
Like i said,we did not lock up the rear end.There is a diagram of the transaxle at (www.odref.com/peerless/index.html).The axle ends on the bottom shaft will have to be locked togther by welding up gears or a fabricated coupler.I can't help you any more than that. We ran a 5 inch pulley on the engine and a 2 inch on the input shaft of the transaxle.Engine belt went to jack shaft with pulleys of the same size,the second belt went off the jack shaft did a half turn back to the trans axle.The engine was a bottom shaft.The top speed of the tractor would have been some place between 20 and 25 mph.To get any more speed you would have to gain it by having different pulleys on the jack shaft.We had one running faster by that method but I can't remember the pulley sizes.It had an 16 opposed twin on it.I almost forgot the pulley on transaxle needs to be 3 inches or bigger to prevent belt slip.This will slow the tractor down.Hope this helps.
B Alexander

anything