Author Topic: a good pullin tractor motor?  (Read 20949 times)

Offline lowgalaxie

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: a good pullin tractor motor?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 09:45:35 am »
I know nothing about pulling but I am sure that that honda engines have dual bearings and steel sleeves. They handle lots of stress and are raced in many different applications. Really think about a push mower goes through lots of stress when put through tall wet grass or your in a hurry and keep bogging it down. Heck I do it to mine all the time, run it wide open and keep it under a full stress load and have never seen these failures you talk about in the alumnium blocks. I know were not talking about mowing the yard but just an example as the blade is hooked right to crank and gets mega stress. just my:twocents:
'08 All American Outlaw Single Champion
'09 Monster Energy Indoor Winter National Champion Outlaw single and Outlaw twin
Run with the best or run with the rest.
Outlaw racing #14 Mod-x  #14 sportsman
Vision as if you'll live forever///Drive as if you'll die tomorrow

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 10:02:00 am »
I know nothing about pulling but I am sure that that honda engines have dual bearings and steel sleeves. They handle lots of stress and are raced in many different applications. Really think about a push mower goes through lots of stress when put through tall wet grass or your in a hurry and keep bogging it down. Heck I do it to mine all the time, run it wide open and keep it under a full stress load and have never seen these failures you talk about in the alumnium blocks. I know were not talking about mowing the yard but just an example as the blade is hooked right to crank and gets mega stress. just my:twocents:

Yes that true... BUT Try pulling full force a 800 Pound + Sled with a tiny ALUM. block engine. Get where I am coming from now?

Cast does not bend nor flex like ALUM. block engines will.
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:03 am »
What outlawmower is saying is true. There is no comparison to pulling a mechanical sled. You can pull cars/trucks up the driveway all you want or mow with it as hard as you want. It does not compare to pulling a mechanical sled. I'll say this and shut up, it all depends on how far you want to take it. If you are just going to play with a stock class tractor then there are a lot of engines that will give you a good time. If you want to get past that then your choices become quite limited. I have seen B/S, Tech, Honda, Kawasaki, Kohler, Wisconsin all pull in stock classes and do good. Once they started opening up the governors then you will see a seperation of which ones will take it and which ones don't.
<< I wish our sled was as light as yours, ours weighs 5,000lb with no weight in it>>
Bruce Litton

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 05:51:29 pm »
Well I have seen stock block kohlers split, 4x4, Big daddy knows, I have seen commands split. I watched a friends 38 cube MWSC built command pop the left side jug right off it. It was idling when it did it. That was a gasser. I get you would be suprised if the guy took the honda and put some goodies in it buzzed it to the moon and it lasted a long time. I bet it would. Or it could come apart right out the gate.

Truth is they will all come apart, and they will all break sooner or later. I have been pulling going on 11 years now. I have seen alot, been involved with alot. I have seen engines that you wouldn't think would run when some good parts are custom made that would just flat out rip. If he is runnin just local stuff. The honda will run with a lot of stuff with. Just takes time and tuning, just don't tell the guy nothing will work unless its a kohler.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 06:06:39 pm »
What outlawmower is saying is true. There is no comparison to pulling a mechanical sled. You can pull cars/trucks up the driveway all you want or mow with it as hard as you want. It does not compare to pulling a mechanical sled. I'll say this and shut up, it all depends on how far you want to take it. If you are just going to play with a stock class tractor then there are a lot of engines that will give you a good time. If you want to get past that then your choices become quite limited. I have seen B/S, Tech, Honda, Kawasaki, Kohler, Wisconsin all pull in stock classes and do good. Once they started opening up the governors then you will see a seperation of which ones will take it and which ones don't.
<< I wish our sled was as light as yours, ours weighs 5,000lb with no weight in it>>

Sorry I did not make myself clear... The classes start out with 800 Pounds in the box the sled alone weighs 4,500 pounds...

FlatheadPuller,
Yeah I understand but, if this guy is looking for a "Bolt" together motor then a Honda just ain't cuttin it. Granted with some R&D and some time it may pull very well but, that may be to deep for most in the pocket.

Sometimes our sport takes money. It also may take a little to much money for some to justify paying.

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 12:32:04 pm »
Yes you are right Flatheadpuller. I have seen 6 Kohler blocks come apart in 20 years. Four of them were nitro methanol/alchohol motors and the other 2 were just running alchohol. All of them had been bored to either 3.9375 or 4.00". Most were stroked to 3.750, one was stroked to 3.8750". The common denominator in all of these engines were that the block tie down strap failed. There was a boom, shiny parts flew then the smoke did rise! The blocks we use now we could run up to and including 80% Nitromethanol to alchohol without a block tie down strap and non have failed yet. (yet!-you know how that goes).
Bruce Litton

Offline blanket80

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 07:03:44 pm »
There's alot of peaple pulling onans out here, i also pull a 18hp twin onan.