Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 212860 times)

Offline Slick Rick

• Turf Warrior
  • Rick Capuano
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 12:42:16 am »
Wow can't wait to see the finished product, Your pedals work top notch.

You can never post to much and, keep the pics coming. :lol:
Rick Capuano

"Racing is a matter of spirit not strength."
- Janet Guthrie

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 11:04:28 pm »
The plate with things mounted so far weighs in at 26 pounds. That's a lot of steel but will lose some when it is mounted up and the fender height is set. The wheelie bars and their mounts will however add some weight. Started throttle pedal linkage today, now would be a good time for a cnc machine. I'm going to get the transaxle and the rear tires and wheels soon, then I will bolt the plate to the tractor at the correct hitch height and set the fender height. I have a couple of questions for you tractor pullers out there. For this project I want to use the carlisle 26x12x12 super lug tire with douglas 5 on 4.5 rims with 4/8 offset. How much pressure do you typically run in the tires and would anyone know a source for 5 on 4.5 hubs that would fit a 1" axle for a peerless 820 transaxle, with or without modification. Thanks in advance for your input, thanks gentlemen for your comments, and happy new year to everyone. And yeah; I couldn't resist this photo below.

Tim Johnson

Offline tractorracer12

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 11:30:05 pm »
I got a set of 5 lug hubs off of a Wheel horse, they was 1'' with 1/4'' keyway.
Tyler Frazier 012-SP

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 09:06:35 am »
The plate with things mounted so far weighs in at 26 pounds. That's a lot of steel but will lose some when it is mounted up and the fender height is set. The wheelie bars and their mounts will however add some weight. Started throttle pedal linkage today, now would be a good time for a cnc machine. I'm going to get the transaxle and the rear tires and wheels soon, then I will bolt the plate to the tractor at the correct hitch height and set the fender height. I have a couple of questions for you tractor pullers out there. For this project I want to use the carlisle 26x12x12 super lug tire with douglas 5 on 4.5 rims with 4/8 offset. How much pressure do you typically run in the tires and would anyone know a source for 5 on 4.5 hubs that would fit a 1" axle for a peerless 820 transaxle, with or without modification. Thanks in advance for your input, thanks gentlemen for your comments, and happy new year to everyone. And yeah; I couldn't resist this photo below.

Generally in the smaller tractors that we run with the 22's we run about 6-7 pounds... In the bigger ones run 7-8 pounds or more depends on your track setup.

Since you are going to run a 1 inch axle like it was mentioned above but get a set of wheel horse hubs from the older cast iron transmissions. They will be 5 on 4.5 and they will be a direct slide on hub.

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 12:22:23 pm »
Hey GT the tractor looks good so far. My only concern for you with that transaxle and a set of 26 in tires. You will pop that 820 peerless real quick. It may hold up in racing but once you load it with the tractor weight and hook it to the sled it will break and it will break fast. My opinion would be to run a twisted belt setup from a murry or dynamark and a old school peerless 4 speed cast iron trans. It already has the correct hubs and it will last. I run the smae twisted belt setup on my boys tractor and have never had a problem with it in his class. My stepdad runs a shell fender JD with a 4 speed peerless and a open rpm .060 14hp kohler. His engine has all the good stuff. Its pretty much built like a SA engine with the ,340 lift cam. He has never had a problem with his trans even with a set vm07's. You could retro fit the 4 speed peerless in you chassis very easily and no one would no the difference. It is a real easy swap. yo just need the correct pulley bracket and pulley.

just my opinion. I just don't like seeing broken parts ruin a guys day of fun.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 01:07:51 pm »
Cool, thanks i'll look into it. The rules I am building to allow transaxle swaps anyway so not a problem. And Outlawmower thanks you for the tire pressure information.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 01:56:14 pm »
took your advice flathead puller and bought a peerless cast iron transaxle found one in Pa. and its on the way. The shipping though : :doh:
Tim Johnson

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 02:08:39 pm »
Just curious, how much did you give for the peerless transaxle?
Bruce Litton

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 06:09:18 pm »
Cool, thanks i'll look into it. The rules I am building to allow transaxle swaps anyway so not a problem. And Outlawmower thanks you for the tire pressure information.
:twothumbsup:
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 12:14:26 pm »
Worked on the throttle assembly for my gas pedal yesterday. Pretty much finished it up, just have to mount it to the plate under the pedal, Seems to work ok, but I may have to cut the end of the arm a bit to have enough pedal travel. I'm pretty happy with the way that it came out though. Now I am just anxiously waiting for my new "old" transaxle. Can't wait to get it.

Tim Johnson

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 05:28:31 pm »
This is looking good! I wish I had a Small Milling Machine and Lathe in my shop. I have to go over where I take my classes to have access for these machines. Let me ask you, have you ever had any experience with the harbor freight tool brand lathes and milling machines? Other wise known as a "Central Machinery".

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 07:39:02 pm »
pm,d ya
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 08:39:25 pm »
mounted up the throttle assembly to go pedal mounting plate works good, would maybe change the arm a bit next time though

wait is over on the transaxle came today it was just like christmas all over again. I'm sure most of you guys have seen one of these, but for those of you that haven't.

could you guys give my some input on brake options to use with this transaxle. I know what I would like to do but it would probably be more and more expensive than necessary. Can I get away with retrofitting the brake shaft with a disc?

thanks Gents!
Tim Johnson

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 09:42:39 pm »
I beileve on the peerless transmissions there is a disc with band brake correct? Like the wheel horse transmissions.

Anyway I would clean the dsic and find you a good condition band brake and that should be sufficient enough for what you are doing. I know the wheel horse band brakes are more then enough!

Also looking good on that pedal assembly!

Keep up the good work!

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 09:30:59 pm »
I've been busy doing other things but figured out what I want to do for brakes. Being a bit O/C decided to go with a 6" disc brake instead of the original mechanical brake, just have to make my own hub. Not necessary I guess but seems like something I have to do. On to transaxle. Soaked pully,brake, and hub screws/bolts overnight in penetrating oil, still wont budge. Sandblasted the case today. It was all my little siphon feed sandblaster could do. Going to replace axle housing to case bolts, and the case to cover bolts. The head of one of the axle housing bolts was twisted off when I received it and darned if I didn't twist another one off. Anyway a friend of my  pops has a welder with a carbon torch gonna take it to him tomorrow, and hope I can get them loose that way. There Is not going to be a lot of clearance for the new transaxle but measurements say it will fit. I can't wait to finish cleaning up the transaxle so that I can work on mounting it into the chassis.
Tim Johnson

anything