Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 212778 times)

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #225 on: December 16, 2010, 10:25:37 am »
What rule set or group are you building for..?

http://www.lsgtpa.com/index.htm

Stock Altered. I do understand that my combination will not be all that competitive in this class. Most of their pulls are a ways from me and in reality wont make it to many of them. I would like to create some interest in my area for this. I hope when this is completed I can.

Tim Johnson

Offline cubcadet70

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 16, 2010, 05:10:00 pm »
if i were you i would run a mikuni carb if they let you use a slide catb! and it would have to be 30mm in veturi! and they flow really nice too!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 16, 2010, 08:02:17 pm »
if i were you i would run a mikuni carb if they let you use a slide catb! and it would have to be 30mm in veturi! and they flow really nice too!

Rules require garden tractor type carbureator.

Worked on driveline today. My pops machined a sleeve and a shaft to mount sprocket to the gear box. Lookin strangely like a racer.
Have to cut keyways and drill collar for set screws next.

Tim Johnson

Offline cubcadet70

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 16, 2010, 08:56:36 pm »
humm i would just get your carb bored out by your local machine shop to 1.0 first and if it runs good the bump it to 1.1 and so on!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 16, 2010, 09:03:56 pm »
humm i would just get your carb bored out by your local machine shop to 1.0 first and if it runs good the bump it to 1.1 and so on!

Thanks, good idea and more affordable for me too
Tim Johnson

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 16, 2010, 11:32:32 pm »
Tim a standard kohler kseries 30 carb would be a good compliment to your engine. Are you running a .340 lift cam in it?
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 16, 2010, 11:45:02 pm »
Tim a standard kohler kseries 30 carb would be a good compliment to your engine. Are you running a .340 lift cam in it?

I haven't worked those details out yet. Would that be your recommendation Dennis? I measured the stock lift, don't remember what it was sumthin like .248 I think. I will definately check into the k-series carb. I'm assuming I will have to make an adapter. I am allowed a 1" standoff.

Thanks
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:25 pm »
Started on the clutch, Here is the basket in stock form with the gear attached

I ground down the rivets/pins and removed what I thought would be the gear. What I found was that the gear was installed on some sort of "damping" assembly presumably to lessen the shock of shifting, possibly vibration.

Next I need to design and fabricate a bushing of sorts to mount the pulley

Now!!!! Would you guys consider including the use of the same type of damping system in the new design or would you just bail on it and machine the tabs off of the basket and mount the pulley solidly to the basket with the bushing? Either way I know what I would do just wondering which way to do it. Wondering how much "damping" is really needed or how necessary do you think it might be for this application.
Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 17, 2010, 06:09:54 pm »
I'd go solid, it's not a street machine and you'll have all kinds of vibrations to deal with anyway
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 17, 2010, 06:19:43 pm »
I'd go solid, it's not a street machine and you'll have all kinds of vibrations to deal with anyway

Will do, much easier to accomplish anyway. No reason to make it any more complicated than it already is. It's a prime candidate for over engineering the way it is! The belt will probably act like a damper anyway.
Tim Johnson

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 17, 2010, 08:24:24 pm »
Tim what ratio rockers do you have. If your putting a good rod and piston in it you could put a healthy cam shaft in it. Do you have a steel flywheel for it. If you can get a k series 30 carb on it and the rocker ratio is the same as a command twin a very good grind for a 5500-6500 rpm engine is a .275 lift at the cam with a .256 duration on a 106 lc. A friend has the same grind in is command twin and it runs strong. Good top end and a ton of soul on the big end of the track. It is easy on valve train and he uses all stock rockers and valves with good springs and retainers.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 17, 2010, 08:58:00 pm »
Tim what ratio rockers do you have. If your putting a good rod and piston in it you could put a healthy cam shaft in it. Do you have a steel flywheel for it. If you can get a k series 30 carb on it and the rocker ratio is the same as a command twin a very good grind for a 5500-6500 rpm engine is a .275 lift at the cam with a .256 duration on a 106 lc. A friend has the same grind in is command twin and it runs strong. Good top end and a ton of soul on the big end of the track. It is easy on valve train and he uses all stock rockers and valves with good springs and retainers.

I believe that they are 1.6 to 1 ratio, was told on here a while back seemed like the command twin roller rockers looked like they would work in place of the stock so should be the same ratio then?  Midwest super cub has a 22 lb. steel flywheel for the command single.
Tim Johnson

Offline cubcadet70

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 17, 2010, 10:32:49 pm »
go buy a 1.65 to 1 ratio rockers if you can find one!  :D on my honda motor the stock is 1.2 to 1 anf i just bought a 1.3 to 1 stamp rockers and they look stock and they increase the lift by .100 so if i have a .275 cam it will be .375 at the valves cuz of the rocker arms and they also opens eairler!  :woo: lol that would be a good trick if you have to run stock looking parts  :P thats what i'm going to do!!!!  :roll:

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2010, 11:45:43 am »
Tim I believe command twin stock rockers are 1.5 to 1. We have 1.6s on our open vtwin. With the cam grind I gave you you don't need rollers. Just some type of adj valve train. With the cam grind I recommended a billet rod and piston, steel flywheel and a kseries 30 carb with good springs and some mild porting your looking at 30hp ish out of that command. But you have to turn it as hard as you can. With good parts in it don't worry about engine parts breakage. That cam lift at the valve is around .440. In a vtwin its a drop in cam. No machine work required.

Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2010, 02:48:15 pm »
Tim I believe command twin stock rockers are 1.5 to 1. We have 1.6s on our open vtwin. With the cam grind I gave you you don't need rollers. Just some type of adj valve train. With the cam grind I recommended a billet rod and piston, steel flywheel and a kseries 30 carb with good springs and some mild porting your looking at 30hp ish out of that command. But you have to turn it as hard as you can. With good parts in it don't worry about engine parts breakage. That cam lift at the valve is around .440. In a vtwin its a drop in cam. No machine work required.

Thanks Dennis and yeah I was planning on using the adjustable rocker kit from Midwest Super Cub RK-4

addendum 6:40 p.m. started laying out the "bushing" to mount the pulley to the clutch. I was going to machine the tabs off of the basket but looked at it again and decided against it. I need to keep them for strength. I hope that I will get this drawn up tomorrow.
Tim Johnson

anything