Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 214885 times)

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2010, 09:20:41 pm »
Thank you Randy I believe that I see it now. Thanks for all of the help its greatly appreciated.

Tim Johnson
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2010, 09:22:58 pm »
I made up an EXCEL document that relates pulley,sprocket,transaxle ratios rpm and tire diameter to wheel speed, I would like for somebody to check it out for me to see if it makes sense and to confirm for me that it is correct, I'm pretty sure it is. I can't post it. I would have to e-mail it. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim Johnson
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2010, 07:21:28 pm »
Nobody?

Anyway chose my pulley/sprocket sizes and I am  waiting on a price for the Martin timing pulleys, probably going to be too pricey so the backup plan is to use 2 groove A/B pulleys. I laid everything out today and it looks like it will all go together pretty well. More work on it tomorrow.
Tim Johnson

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2010, 08:14:12 pm »
If everything is ok you should not need two belts. A single b belt is fine. Remember belts eat up hp. On that cycle clutch your going to try is it meant to be a wet clutch. I know you want to try it and I am all for different believe me....  But you will be worlds ahead with just a twisted belt setup. You'll get more power to the ground, less mechanical items the engine will be driving. And it works. Are you putting a billet rod in the engine?  If so plan on turning it harder. If you put a weld up cam in it don't short change it. With a billet rod and a good cam it will run 6500. I know your doing a lot of homework might as well use it all and twist it hard.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2010, 10:38:56 pm »
Yes it was a wet clutch honda 250. but to quote an article that I read " the primary purpose of the oil in a WET clutch is for cooling. " Just words I guess I don't know all of the reasons behind it. The friction discs i'm sure are better suited to be in oil,because that is where they were designed to be. I don't know how they will hold up without it or how much the clutch will slip. Having said all of this.

I will take your advice Dennis and use the single groove pulleys instead of the timing pulleys and/or 2 groove pulleys, way cheaper, lighter and as you said more than sufficient. I am still compelled to use the honda clutch though, maybe have to upgrade it to a v-twin high performance harley dry clutch. it's pricey but! Who knows. I may end up after all with a twisted belt. :bash: I have the layout for one.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2010, 12:02:20 am »
I ordered the sprockets and pulleys today. They will be here in a day or two. I am using Martin stuff. The sprockets are only a couple of dollars more than the ones at tractor supply and they are one piece. not the welded type. The pulleys are a bit pricey but have an interchangable bushing. I'm starting with final gear ratio of 38:1 in second gear and 28:1 in 3rd gear. Will see which ratio is closer to the best and change from there.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 13, 2010, 08:52:19 pm »
I picked up the pullies and sprockets today, and cut out a 5/16" piece of steel to mount the gear box for my clutch, Finish up the plate tomorrow hopefully. Have to make a bushing for the pulley to mount to the clutch, and a bushing to mount the pulley to the crankshaft.
Pile of parts.....
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2010, 05:32:08 pm »
I worked on mounting plate today. Still have to cut a slot for the sprocket is a 3/4 inch slot large enough for # 40 chain or should I go an inch?

Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 14, 2010, 06:10:03 pm »
If it's right over the sprocket 3/4" will be fine cause sprocket should not move...

More towards the middle of the run and chain can flap and move a bit, 1" might be better
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »
I cut the slot in the plate, as it turns out I really didnt need the extra that I cut out for the sprocket flange, the sprocket doesn't sit down that far. I believe the sprocket that I am using for now will be the largest that I will conceivably use in this location so should be good for any changes, I gave myself a little extra room and went with a 1" slot. In case my tape measure let me down, and I need to move the sprocket side to side a bit, didn't trust myself. It's gonna be a tight fit in there.

I have to get a flange bearing for the end of the sprocket shaft. Is this a good deal, Is it heavy enough?

http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/servlet/the-71/7-fdsh-8%22-Four-Bolt-Flange/Detail
Tim Johnson

Offline cubcadet70

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2010, 06:31:57 pm »
dont get your chain too heavy or it will cause alot of drag! what kind of motor are you using? a v-twin harley? lol

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2010, 11:22:08 pm »
No actually my neighbor has a 4 cylinder motor from a pinto, thought I might use that. HaHa anyway thanks chains gonna be pretty short.
Tim Johnson

Offline cubcadet70

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 16, 2010, 09:41:30 am »
oh ok that would work too tho..... lol so really what engine are you using?

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2010, 10:17:02 am »
oh ok that would work too tho..... lol so really what engine are you using?

I'm gonna use a Kohler CV-14 OHV, stock valves,solid lifters, stock rockers, at least so far. Chuck at Vogel is checking on some valve springs for me, Midwest super cub billet rod and piston, supposed to be ready soon. Isky cam. Still haven't confirmed if I can resleeve this block for the 90mm piston from midwest. Not sure what carb yet. My rules allow 1.2" venturi. Unconventional yes, so is everything else about this project as far as I can tell.

Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 16, 2010, 10:21:46 am »
What rule set or group are you building for..?
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

anything