Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 212804 times)

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2010, 10:08:00 am »
Compared to the twisted belt...I too would go this way...

All chain drive I assume..?
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2010, 10:14:51 am »
I'm gonna use a toothed belt from the motor to the clutch, Martin timing pulleys. I am going to use a chain from RAGB to transaxle.There are many RAGB that I believe would hold up to the torque but they are cost prohibitive at this point, so I am starting with the peerless, this I think will be the weak link. As far as the clutch goes I'm sure that I will have to experiment with various springs to find the right pressure.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2010, 09:46:52 pm »
 Machined some pieces of diamond plate today for mounting to the dash. One panel houses the starter switch, fuel pump switch and the ignition switch as well as indicator lamps. The other panel will get drilled for the fuel pressure guage and a voltmeter. Pix below. Since I added a lamp for the ignition switch I am gonna have to add a relay to my circuit that I drew up the other day. So normally closed contact of relay grounds coil, energize the relay with switch, lamp lights up, coil is no longer grounded.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2010, 09:13:51 pm »
I machined cutouts in the dash today and drilled holes to mount the diamond plate that I did yesterday. I also wired the switch panel.

Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2010, 09:18:32 pm »
Cool, I like the switch panel
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2010, 09:23:38 pm »
Cool, I like the switch panel

Thank you Randy, I'm gonna try and mount a voltmeter and fuel pressure guage in the other panel tomorrow.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2010, 11:47:06 pm »
I have shown below a block diagram of the basic idea of my driveline, as I stated before this goes against all convention however I am determined to make it work. I believe the original pulley on the transaxle was 8". It is long gone though. My question is about how many RPM should I spin the input shaft of the transaxle assuming that I will pull in 3rd gear. I have the calculator for pulley/sprocket ratios vs RPM. I am just not sure how fast to turn it.

Thanks guys

Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2010, 01:35:59 am »
That's the problem with being in uncharted territory...you don't know where the heck your going... 8)

I don't know much, on account of I haven't been to the track yet either, but....

I was told I should have at least two pulling gears (3 or 4 is better) for/depending on track conditions dry/slick or moist and sticky...so I would keep 2nd in mind as well as 3rd...(you may need to change gearing "in" the 820 to bring them closer, make them both useable)...

My driveline is set up for 6500 rpm with a fairly stout motor and we're running basicly the same size tires...I'll be running either a 47.5:1 or 40.5:1 final ratio...you can do the math from there....

Why did you pick 4000 rpm for motor..? will you be running goverend ?? how "built" will this motor be...? At that rpm my guess is you may want to be in the 30s:1 final ratio, but I'll let the more experianced guys chime in...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2010, 08:59:59 am »
"That's the problem with being in uncharted territory...you don't know where the heck your going... "

Yes but thank goodness there are forums such as this to ask questions  8)

4000 was just a random number to work from probably goin to run closer to 4500 to 5000 RPM. Not a lot higher I know. Anyway This gives me a good idea where to go. So I will do some math and try to get a bit more of this figured. Randy the transaxle that I am using is an old cast iron peerless 2300.

Thank you
Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2010, 09:20:48 am »
OK missed that..

Looked a few 2300's up http://www.odref.com/peerless/2300-SERIES/index.html didn't see much option for gear clusters, but there are a couple spur gear options..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2010, 10:40:15 am »
Over the weekend I am going to try to figure the gear ratio of the transaxle don't know if I will be able to turn it or not, gonna give it a shot anyway. I havent been able to find any info online about the transaxle gear ratios, probably should have documented gears when I had it apart. Live and learn.
Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2010, 12:27:34 pm »
If it rolls on the ground, mark the tire and fender and then count the number of turns on input pulley to get one rotation of tires (marks line up)

Do it in each gear and you will have ratios...but you'll probably go all the way across the garage and out the door to do so....

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 03, 2010, 10:00:24 pm »
Finished up panel for voltmeter and fuel pressure guage used the mr gasket pressure guage, I made a fitting out of aluminum bar drilled and tapped holes to mount it to the panel. Then I tapped the middle hole for 1/8" NPT threads, on both sides. It came out pretty good. Didnt quite get the tap started straight. The threads are all good the guage and the nipple are just a little crooked. Not happy about that! May redo it.

Is the pressure guage ok where it is. My rules don't specify.

On to the driveline tomorrow.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2010, 08:13:08 pm »
Redid my fuel pressure guage mount. I'm happy this time, wired up my ignition relay, added an LED so its easy to see if its working. Checked out the gear ratios. Thanks Randy for setting me straight was overthinking things as I often do. Here's what I came up with.
!st      60:1
2nd     40:1
3rd     30:1
4th     20:1

Referring to the picture below and taking into consideration the transaxle ratios would the different ratios between components ( sprockets/pullies) add together to give the final ratio?

Tim Johnson

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2010, 08:53:46 pm »
They are all "multipliers" to each other...

The Motor pully to RAGB input gives you a 1.51:1 ratio (lets call it 1.5:1 to make math easy) if you took that and had a 1:1 ratio on the RAGB out to Tranny in (same size sprockets or pulleys) you would end up with:

1st: 90:1
2nd: 60:1
3rd: 45:1
4th: 30:1  (1 1/2 x each tranny ratio)

Those are "pretty close" to the 40.5 and 47.5 I was set up with and it gives you a 30ish gear you may need for lower rpm motor to keep wheel speed up...

You might want to run it like that to start, see what your motor likes and fine tune the secondary chain to tweak final..

The size of the split between gears (3rd and 4th) will remain constant unless you can change gears internally...

The other option you have (depending on what motor likes) is to "reverse" the 1.5:1 ratio from RAGB to Tranny by putting on a larger sprocket on ragb and smaller on tranny to maintain a 1:1 total/final ratio and run in 2nd (40:1) and 3rd (30:1) because they are "closer" to each other than the 30:1 and 45:1 of the original set up. Your motor may like that better...

Either of the setups will get you in the "ballpark".... you will need to run it and see how the motor responds so you can tweak it and "run the bases"

I'm assuming the RAGB is a 1:1 ratio..??
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A