Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 212971 times)

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2009, 05:44:59 pm »
And yet more cutting

Pattern to check that the other side ends up being the same

Both sides ended up like this, happy with the fit so far. The next step I really only get one chance at. That is to bend the corner fender piece into the other fender part. There is a little more cutting required to accomplish this. . So I measured the angle between the surfaces of the green fender piece it measured 120 degrees, subtracting 90 degrees leaves 30 degrees so If I make the bend 30 degrees above the line on the fender should be correct?

Went for it turned out ok not a perfect fit but it should managable, and both sides came out pretty close to the same.
Still a bit of massaging but getting close.....

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2009, 10:54:28 pm »
Welding practice not really going too well, Not sure when I will start on the real thing,   :bash: :doh:
You guys have probably been here but how is it that you can go from a perfect little weld to a puddle of !!!! all in a matter of seconds. More practice tomorrow I guess. On a more serious note are there any tricks to make the seam you are welding easier to see? Part of my problem is not being able to weld on the seam. Soapstone mark perhaps? Thank you for allowing me to vent I feel better already. Need to grow some patience.
Tim Johnson

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2009, 01:26:01 am »
If you cant see what you are welding you may need a lighter lens.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2009, 03:00:00 am »
and when welding thin sheetmetal, especially with a mig welder (wire feed) use multiple tack welds versus a continous bead, much easier if your just learning, the only real good way to weld thin sheetmetal is with a tig welder, and as rooster says, a lighter lens, and a clean one at that will help, lots of guys like a shade 10 for mig welding, easy to see and safe on lighter duty welding, start cranking up the welder and use a shade 11 or even 12, welder burning your eyes is something i don't wish upon nobody, been there and done that, and it really hurts!!
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2009, 09:32:17 am »
Thanks Gents Not sure what I have its autodarkening but definately check into it, thanks again I appreciate the comments and the advice.
Tim Johnson

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2009, 12:49:10 pm »
most of the auto darkening units are adjustable. Like Jerb said, dont get it too light though.
Bert stole my cookies!!

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2009, 07:46:41 pm »
When i was learning to weld I really hated thin bodymetal.  I still use a series of spots made up to make the bead, then grind it.

Nothing worse than wasting your wire on a burned hole.

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2009, 11:35:09 pm »
Welding 16 guage so not horribly thin. Not really havin a problem blowin holes in the sheetmetal. I guess in reality i'm not doing that bad for a beginner, problem is i'm a perfectionist and don't have a lot of patience, if i don't think it is perfect at least in my mind then i'm not happy with it. Guess that's something that I need to work on. Checked the mask it is adjustable and was set between 10 and 11,turned it down a bit but didn't get a chance to use it today, plum forgot that little detail! Thanks guys for your comments and support. Guess its time to suck it up.  :D
Tim Johnson

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2009, 01:07:16 am »
Practice....Have any junk ca parts, get a piece of a body panel, cut and weld on it for a bit, then your 16 ga will seem like a snap!
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2009, 07:33:37 pm »
Been givin some thought to the weight box and came up with the concept shown in the picture below. I'm gonna mount weights to the threaded rod as needed, should be a good way to mount them, and lower center of gravity, think it's better than the weight box ideas that I have seen. I also started the mount for my brake caliper today should have time over the weekend to finish it. I'm still thinking about the best way to approach my sheet metal project, but getting a lot closer to getting started.

Here's the picture.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2009, 10:02:31 pm »
Finished the brake caliper mounting bracket today. Pix below. I also bought a magnifying lens for my welding helmet, i'm gonna try it tomorrow.

gonna use nylon lock nuts on brake caliper mounting bolts, on final assembly.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2009, 06:22:16 pm »
Mounted brake master cylinder today. My pops made a couple of spacers on the lathe, picture below

Working on my wheelie bar design, I want to use rod ends and tube adapters to make the height of the wheels adjustable
have any of you guys done this or seen it done like this? Basically a "top link". Yes I will get to the fenders soon.

http://secure.chassisshop.com/categories/5926/
Tim Johnson

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2009, 06:35:18 pm »
Looking good! Are you going to run Steel Brake lines from the Master Cylinder to the Caliper?

Also, As far as a wheelie bar goes, check your local rules as well. Some rules will state that the bars will have to be set at a certain height.

PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2009, 09:11:09 pm »
Stainless lines yes. Yeah have the rules in front of me. Rules state 5" max, wanna be able to adjust height to meet the rule for different tire pressures, weight, etc. I don't really know, how critical is it, I'm assuming if the tractor is set up right it's gonna go up on the wheelie bar. How does the height of the wheelie bar effect weight transfer?
Tim Johnson

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2009, 09:32:20 pm »
You never really want it on the wheelie bars. Your goal is to have the front tires light on the ground or just bouncing. A perfect setup would be bounce a couple times and hang two inches off the ground the majority of the pull. I would set them a half inch inside the rules for height and length from center of axle to rear of wheelie wheel or what ever the rule states and leave them alone. In my years of pulling I have never tuned with wheelie bars. You'll put more power to the ground with the front end 2 inches off the ground then you will running on the wheelie bars.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

anything