Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 214940 times)

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2009, 05:45:12 pm »
3/4" now going to 1", you know man, new toy, working on a new skill set, don't want it oversize, maybe .001 over would be good, never used one, live to try new things! Going to 1" than gonna have the keyways cut at a local machine shop.
Tim Johnson

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2009, 05:47:36 pm »
Ok, Just wanted to check. As far as the build looking good! I need to build some hubs for a similar project soon. Gonna use the same design.

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2009, 12:09:56 am »
I would go more than .001 over. I have been building in that range and find tat with that close of fit, they get really tough to take apart. I have started going .003 over, still a nice fit!
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2009, 10:35:31 am »
.001 is likely too close, will go a bit more over, just a little O/C like things to fit thanks Rooster.

Tim
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 09:33:07 pm »
Received the shifter fork today guess i'm gonna tear transaxle back apart looked over the manual again tonight pretty sure I followed the drawings any input on similar experiences with the 2300 or other units would be appreciated, unless I see something obvious, not sure where to go with it.  :confused:
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 05:58:41 pm »
Well, it was something obvious. :doh: .doh. installed reverse idler gear on the wrong side of spacer. We had to split the case anyway to drill for the helicoil and to replace the shifter fork. It has all the gears now and shifts freely. All of the case and axle housing bolts are properly torqued and case has been cleaned and re-primered. Confident all is good now.

before:

after:
here it is: waited for parts forever, finally back together

http://www.g-team.us/Mowbetter/peerless.pdf

page 74 of this manual shows the reverse idler gear, shaft and spacer

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2009, 08:57:32 pm »
My pops and I worked on the transaxle hubs today. We bought a 1" bit the other day and went ahead and drilled them out. They fit the axle well. Scored today, bought a piece of 3/8" steel plate 24" x 32" for $3.00 at the salvage yard. We're going to use this steel to make the rest of the wheel hubs, plus a bunch extra for some other project. I was going to buy a 6" brake disc from QRC karts but it's $35.00 or 50 cents think I will go with the 50 cents, have plenty of steel. However!

How thick is the brake disc used with a BTS pro mini caliper? I haven't purchased the caliper yet. I am going to make the hub and brake disc.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2009, 07:07:23 pm »
 According to the folks at QRC Karts their 6" slotted rotor is 1/8" thick works with BTS Pro Mini Caliper.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2009, 09:13:59 pm »
My pops and I did a little work the last couple of days, Finished the boring bar holder. Pulled off the tool holder and A gunsmith friend of ours machined slots in the bottom of the tool holder to allow for four more positions. Works great! Boring bar holder works good too.

Finished preliminary face of the wheel mounting plates.

next step is to bolt the hubs to the plates and finish cutting the discs.

A little bit at a time I guess.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2009, 10:11:04 pm »
Wow time flies, been trying to get back at it. Finally ordered and received Rear rims 4/8 offset, Pops and I got back on the hubs almost finished. pix tomorrow. ordered the tires, master cylinder and brake caliper today when they arrive, and the hubs are finished, ought to be back on track to finish a lot of things on the tractor. Still have to machine brake rotor, hope to start it tomorrow or thursday. I'm excited to get the transaxle mounted, and the tires and rims to see how its going to look, it's gonna be a close fit not a lot of room to spare I think. 
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2009, 07:48:24 pm »
Finished wheel hubs with the exception of the wheel studs and the keyways. Making fixture to drill the holes for the studs. We want to keep the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern so we can make more hubs in the future.

Front and back views of hubs shown above

Those are some pretty wide rims right there!

NOW! Considering my options on the fenders think I might cut down the center and insert some sheet metal to bring them out to cover the center of the tire.  I would like some opinions on what gas to use with the mig A friend recommended co2 any opinions or hints on this would be appreciated obviously gonna practice on some scrap sheet metal first. Welding rig came with the the regulator but no tank
I can't afford to buy both an argon and a co2 tank. What is the most versatile gas?http://
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2009, 08:43:12 pm »
Aw cummon guys somebodys gotta have an opinion on which gas is best! Anway worked on finishing weight box / weight bar assembly photos below.....

I used an ammo box ( 50cal ) and a piece of 1/8" x 1 1/4" flat bar ( filled up the indentation in the bottom of the box to give a more positive mounting area ). I drilled holes in the box ( inserted 5/16" washers between the box and the bar for shims ) drilled holes in the bar and tapped for 6/32 screws to hold the bar in place, drilled 17/64" holes in square tube and tapped.Used to mount the box to the square tube.

Tim Johnson

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2009, 12:13:53 am »
OK, if no one else will help,lol, I'm not by any means a welder,  about 15 years ago I worked filling welding bottles, can't remember what it is called but we sold mostly an argon co2 mix...pretty much what most guys use I think. I use FlyingB's mig alot and pretty sure thats what he uses.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline swmoracer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2009, 10:45:01 am »
In my MIG that I have at the house I run argon and carbon dioxide mixed .They are mixed25 and 75% in one bottle.Any welding shop sould be able to tell you what you need.I get my bottle filled at Praxair dont know if there are any of those where you are but I am sure they would be able to help you out.
Brent Scott
2009 AHLMRA Modified Single Points Champion
2009 AHLMRA C/P Runner Up

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2009, 11:20:53 am »
Thanks guys appreciate your replies, One of the next projects that I wan't to get done is to machine the shifter pattern for the peerless 2300 out of some diamond plate. Can anyone give me any help on the size of the H pattern?
Tim Johnson

anything