Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 212769 times)

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2009, 12:21:55 pm »
Is there any recommended assembly lube or should i just lube up the bearing mating surfaces with the gear oil. if the expense is warranted is royal purple or red line oil better,or is there something else to use.

http://www.royal-purple.net/maxtuff.pdf

http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/2.pdf
Tim Johnson

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2009, 01:04:26 pm »
For assembly I use Grease. Just plain ol' Valvoline sythnthetic grease.

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2009, 04:30:51 pm »
I am not sure about that. Axle bearings yeah but not the needle bearings in the case of the transaxle or engine bearings, etc. ended up going to autozone. They had some lucas oil assembly lube, lucas doesn't show it on their website but they had it at autozone.
Tim Johnson

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2009, 04:47:32 pm »
I have always used Valvoline grease and never had a problem. I know a older gentlemen that has used it for years! Even on the needle bearings and torington bearings for car transmissions.

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2009, 05:48:44 pm »
I use automatic trans fluid in my puller rear ends. Gear oil is thick and takes power to turn. Your not mowing with it, the trans doesn't make any heat when pulling. In ten years I have never had a problem with auto trans fluid.

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2009, 06:37:35 pm »
For Assembly of the bearings and other crucial parts I use Valvoline Synthetic grease. As for transmission stuff I use a real thin lubricant by valvoline. Same stuff the racers use...

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2009, 11:48:23 pm »
thanks for the input gentlemen, gonna take your advice and give it a shot. Try to get the transaxle back together tomorrow. Not replacing the seals didnt't seem dried out or cracked so I didn't buy new ones. Hope I don't regret it.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2009, 12:10:23 am »
I was able to put most of the transaxle back together today ( pictures below ). I just have the gasket to set and bolt the case halves together and axle housings on. Slow start today! I took it apart in January, and my memory isn't what it used to be. Even with the manual and exploded parts diagram twas quite a challenge as far as where the shims went especially the differential, drawing didn't seem to match the shims that were originally in place, feel pretty confident now though. Ended up using grease albiet not reg synthetic grease. I found this stuff at the autoparts store when I bought the tranny fluid. links below

http://www.lubriplate.com/products/greases/no-105-motor-assembly-grease.html

http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-transmission-fluid.html

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2009, 09:14:58 pm »
Finished putting the transaxle back together today, input shaft wasn't cooperating initially, after second guessing the placement of a shim I finally realized that I had installed the gear on the input shaft upside down, preventing it from seating properly in the bearing. Finally got case to bolt down tight without anything binding, installed axle seals and housings ,housing bearings, oil, and the shifter. I paid special attention to the assembly of the shifting forks and gears because of prior experience with a motorcycle, but you know it all works correctly except it seems that I have no reverse, one of the shifter forks is worn where the shifter fits into it but that doesn't seem to be causing the problem. Guess I will be crackin the case again to see what the he## that I did wrong. I didn't enjoy it too much today I hope that I can take a deep breath tomorrow and remember that, "the sun is warm and the grass is green". Any thoughts or comments from anyone would be appreciated. It also looks like I am going to have to use a helicoil on one of the axle housing bolts after all. I thought all of them that I drilled out were gonna be ok guess not, its pretty tight just afraid to torque it down to spec. .

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2009, 07:56:22 pm »
Went ahead and ordered a shifter fork for my transaxle today, gonna wait until I get the part before I tear it back apart to find my error. I guess by the time it all works I will know how to rebuild it.    :mad: :bash:
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2009, 11:09:44 pm »
I am supposed to get the shifter fork on wednesday. We will see. The wheel hubs are coming along ok. We didn't get a tool holder for the boring bar for the lathe when we bought it. I can't really afford one right now so going to machine a "custom tool holder" on the mill, to use with the boring bar

Transaxle waiting to be torn down again, still no reverse.
I was hoping it would fix itself, but so far it hasn't.

Hub piece on lathe.

Hub pieces waiting for boring bar.

Sorry if I am a little post and picture happy, can't help it. Maybe, someday I will get this sucker rolling and there will be something to actually look at!

Tim Johnson

Offline tonykummrow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2009, 06:19:19 am »
No No keep the pics coming. that it is why it is called the build section. you post pics of every step of the way. keep it up
If mowers are a habit then I need an intervention

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »
What do you need the boring bar for? Just get a 1" or 3/4" Drill bit and drill it out to the size needed...
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline tractorracer12

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2009, 05:22:18 pm »
A boring bar is alot nicer cut.
Tyler Frazier 012-SP

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2009, 05:34:34 pm »
A boring bar is alot nicer cut.

Yes, I realize that but why not keep it simple? What did you drill out the hubs to now? And what size do you need to have them cut?
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!