Author Topic: just getting started  (Read 212857 times)

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: just getting started
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 11:11:38 pm »
A bit of progress today no carbon torch yet but a bit more penetrating oil, along with patience and and a little bit of heat, more bolts loosened. Accurately measured from the end of the brake shaft to the end of the input shaft of the transaxle, it measures 11 1/4", The inside frame measures 12 1/2". This leaves 5/8" on each side of the transaxle. Not much room, a bit concerned about the clearance for the brake caliper, but I should be able to make it work alright.

brake system components yet to order....

Tim Johnson

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 06:37:39 pm »
Gt that brake setup is nice but way overkill. You could spend the money on something else that will make HP. I would run the disk brake that some peerless trans axles were equipped with. The trans I put in my boys tractor was out of a murray with the twisted belt setup. It has a 5 inch disk with a mechanical caliper. That is enough for a pulling tractor. Remember your not going fast you just need to hold it still when needed. Here is a video of my boys tractor. The mower racers would have wanted this one.

Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2009, 08:52:09 pm »
Finally had some time to work on the transaxle today, been keeping the hubs wet with penetrating oil all week. Built a puller out of 3/16" angle iron, got the acetylene torch out, heated the hub started cranking on the bolt and.......

ended up with a hole saw, cut off saw, even dremel to cut a slot in one of the woodruff keys in the axle; to get it out, definately was a test for my patience. picture below is what is left of the hubs

new hubs on the horizon.

Next:
Removed axle housings: but axle bearings rusted to the point that the bearing race is rusted to the axle had to take the balls out of the bearings to get the axle housings off past the races.

next step is to cut a slot in the races and pull them off of the axles. split the case, check out the internals, and drill and tap the bolts that were twisted off in the process, axle housing to case bolts, penetrating oil and heat didn't prevent this. have managed to change all of the case to cover bolts, etc.

anyone have a source for parts other than.......

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/peerless/peerless.html

seems like the bearings in the axle housing at least should be pretty standard.

WOW what a day!!!!! PATIENCE WAS CERTAINLY TESTED 2DAY

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 09:49:56 pm »
AND YET ANOTHER POST. Progress today split the transaxle case , all of the needle bearings and internal parts look good a welcome sight after all the work on the outside of the case, looks like the only parts that I need to purchase will be the axle bearings, oil seals, o-rings and gaskets and shims as needed. I also need to make new hubs.

I'll order the parts tomorrow. Can't wait to put the transaxle back together so that I can move on. Seems like I haven't made any progress lately, I guess that I have though.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 10:12:08 pm »
Finished up on the case yesterday drilled out all 5 bolts that snapped off upon disassembly. With a lot of patience managed to get them out without ruining any threads, only reassembly and paint left and it will be good as new. Started the transaxle mounting pieces today, gonna fab it up kinda like a 4 link used in a drag car. I don't know if anyone has done it like that before but for my application and frame style ( ya know a lawn tractor instead of a garden tractor), it seems like the best way to tie the new cast transaxle , wheelie bars, and hitch, to the frame while maintaining the stock frame. Just thinking outloud, sorry if I'm rambling on, somehow I don't feel complete now if I don't post things regularly.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 07:34:02 pm »
worked on new transaxle mounts last couple of days while waiting for parts to put the transaxle back together. Some pictures are included below. I used some 3/16" steel plate for the brackets, which will be welded to steel angle, mounted to the transaxle and frame.  I am using aurora 1/2" rod ends,tube adapters, and tubing, to tie the brackets to the front of the tractor, the other rod end will be used for the wheelie bar setup, don't really like any of the wheelie bar designs i've seen on the different pulling sites so i'm just gonna do my own design.

question, will mineral spirits damage rubber seals on input and brake shaft if i use it to clean out the needle bearings in the transaxle case, I think it will be ok but what do you guys think.
Tim Johnson

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 09:27:31 pm »
I am not sure about the needle bearings but, I do know that the Ball Bearings you can wash in varsall as long as you oil them right after washing them.
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 09:30:59 pm »
A couple of parts for the transaxle are backordered, so the whole order is being held up. Tired of waiting so reassembled the case and started to mock up the installation. Gonna notch the frame to lower the transaxle. I hope that I am interpreting the rule correctly. Pretty sure that I am. I hope the next couple of days I can make a bit of progress again. I am gonna lower it about 4" into the frame.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 10:56:10 pm »
More progress today pictures below........

notched frame..

lowered axle location....

fits like a glove.......

I hope to finish bolting the transaxle to the frame tomorrow

Tim Johnson

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 11:06:00 pm »
This thing is turning out SWEET! Keep up the good work! BTW Have you looked into a lathe yet?
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline lowgalaxie

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 01:40:25 am »
Where is the input pulley going to be verses the tunnel panel.
'08 All American Outlaw Single Champion
'09 Monster Energy Indoor Winter National Champion Outlaw single and Outlaw twin
Run with the best or run with the rest.
Outlaw racing #14 Mod-x  #14 sportsman
Vision as if you'll live forever///Drive as if you'll die tomorrow

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 08:31:11 am »
Left hand side as you are facing the back of the tractor still have to machine both of the transaxle mounting brackets to allow for clearance for the pulley and the brake disc.
Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 10:21:28 pm »
machined spacers to go between transaxle mounting angle and the frame, have a couple of parts left to finish machining then I will go ahead and mount it all up, just have to take my time and make sure its all square don't wanna have it in there crooked. My transaxle parts shipped yesterday, should have them soon.

Finished machining spacers, drilled and tapped them to mount to transaxle mounting bracket, these countersunk screws will keep the spacers in place until the holes are drilled through into the frame, I also managed to machine the mounting brackets to allow for clearance for the input pulley and the brake disc. Pictures below....

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 10:35:21 pm »
Mounted up the transaxle today, managed to do the whole thing without drilling any holes oversized. I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out so far. There is still more work on it but I feel like I finally accomplished something today. Still waiting on transaxle parts.

All bolts will be replaced with grade 8 when finished.

Tim Johnson

Offline gtpuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 09:58:06 pm »
A little bit at a time. started mounting up the hitch today, found out today that the transaxle parts have not been shipped yet, and still need hubs too. Do you guys think that the hitch plate should be connected to the transaxle mounts, or is that necessary. I am leaning towards that but any opinion is welcome.  Plan to machine some of the steel plate away once I determine the fender height with the new tires,try to get rid of some weight, I have added a lot.

Tim Johnson