Author Topic: Intrest in Billet Connecting Rods  (Read 9347 times)

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Intrest in Billet Connecting Rods
« on: November 27, 2008, 10:34:48 pm »
Hello All,
I am doing a survey of both the lawn mower racing crowd and the pulling croud on what kind of "cheaper" but yet just as strong parts for you kohler engine.

I would like to know the intrest in making billet connecting rods for kohler that would be a cheaper alternative for the racer rather the Midwest Super Cub and Lakota.... ECT...

For vertical shafts:

What engines? What are the most popular engine raced? What kind of intrest here?

ALL RODS WILL HAVE BEARING INSERTS IN THEM!

For Horizontel Shafts:

Yes, I know parts are already made BUT I have a way to make a "cheaper" alternative here. The rod will still be made out of Billet Alum. 7075 T-6 Metal here.

ALL RODS WILL HAVE BEARING INSERTS IN THEM!

The rods will not start R&D Until next year possibly by the end of January! So please let me know you intrest in these rods....

Price wise I am not sure yet for I do not know what metal will cost me and or the amount of labor/ CNC time it will take...

Thanks,
Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: Intrest in Billet Connecting Rods
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:50:14 pm »
My question is IF your not sure of price or time how can you say they will be cheaper than someone elses.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 11:02:40 pm »
Ditto!   I was going to ask the same thing.
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline markiemark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • North bay racing
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:33:38 pm »
i know some people did run the 14hp in f/x and i think c/p and then the 20twin in b/p
Mark Laird
www.northbaylawnmowerracing.com
I think i can i think i can. Oops I CANT

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 07:50:31 am »
My question is IF your not sure of price or time how can you say they will be cheaper than someone elses.

I currently work at a steel company and have completed my CNC classes at CPCC. They allow me to still come in and make projects with there machines.

I am typing this from work and I just checked on the metal and it looks to be at my price around $55 for the size needed to make the kohler rods.
So all in all it looks to be $100-$120 for a rod.

Still needing some opinions....

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 06:30:38 pm »
How much research will be spent in testing these rods before being sold to the racer.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline Butcher

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 07:43:02 pm »
Only from what I've seen 14/18 hp verticals (singles) seem to be most common kohler ohv engines used by a few compared to most with briggs. As far as rods I would upgrade the twins to billit but personaly have no need for a 1cyl one. Ours regularly hit the mid 8k's and an occasional high 9k when breaking loose on straits with a slightly loose stock bottom end. The stock rods seem to be fne on these as I've seen several turning them higher at other s.east outlaw tracks. Of the few broken rods I've seen it appeared the piston or rings were not fitted correctly and siezed in the cyl. with dark blueing effect in  mid stroke area of wall from heat or to thick of oil. There are many areas of these engines that I feel could use some upgraded parts. Billit cam blanks for singles with adjustable steel gears, a dogbone for roller rockers that doesn't require as much block clearancing. A kit or assembly to tap horizontal oil pickup in vertical oilpans, spacers to give more rocker clearance to valve cover or taller a taller cover all together. Light tension gap-less rings, lighter pistons, pins and lightened billit cranks(balanced to assembly) / custom aluminum flywheel-greatly improve acceleration. As far as singles all these areas have no off the shelfs available to my knowledge. I think many that run kohler would highly consider buying some of these parts if they are resonably priced and of good quality. Most would not attempt to interbreed or try to make their own parts in these areas. Any of these parts would have saved us and several others considerable time when building, but we only run what we fab ourselves. There may be a market for rods of this engine, but personally speaking I see a larger potential for most of the others listed, to help those not willing to make their own parts build stronger and more reliable motors. I see it as a good thing to have people with your abilities trying to help other racers, don't let others discourage you, no mater who you are or what company it is, there was a starting point somewhere.

Twin parts might do as good, but with more competition.

Gotta run and lighten the tension on some sb ford 4.6L(281HO) rings (hint,hint).

Butcher.
JD, heard you on answering machine,I didn't get to phone in time. Turn off id block and call back.

(sorry, off-topic)

Butcher.

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 08:06:30 pm »
How much research will be spent in testing these rods before being sold to the racer.

George,

The K-Series engines will be run in my own machines... 10-12 HP... I will run them as hard as I can to ensure safety and durability....

NOW the twins and singles vertical shaft I will have to aquire these engines and put them through some testing as well... Pushed to the max.

Alot of R&D and testing will be done to ensure quality of these rods before they are availabe!

Thanks,
Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 08:38:58 pm »
George,

The K-Series engines will be run in my own machines... 10-12 HP... I will run them as hard as I can to ensure safety and durability....

NOW the twins and singles vertical shaft I will have to aquire these engines and put them through some testing as well... Pushed to the max.

Alot of R&D and testing will be done to ensure quality of these rods before they are availabe!

Thanks,
Outlaw

Cool Thats what I like to here. Don't take me as discouraging. I just ask the questions many are to shy to ask. You never know unless ya ask.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 09:18:36 pm »
George,

I dont take anything discouraing you said at all..... I like to be asked questions form people who can help me! I like to be tested in my brain!

Like you said you never know till ya ask... Thats what I am doing here. I am asking who would be intrested in this product until I step out there with all my time and money R&D'ing these rods.

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline kohler guy

• Turf Warrior
  • Old Skool Racing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 10:04:07 am »
Would be intrested in some vertical parts for say the 12-15 engines... Also what about 8 HP Kohler rods?
Craftsmen
Old Skool Racing #45
http://www.alleghanymowerracingassociation.com/

Stock Flathead Class

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 12:27:55 pm »
What rod lengths will be available, will these rods be straight or made for the offset in the 16hp. single (K341)?
Also will this be an "H" beam rod or an "I" beam rod?
Bruce Litton

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 04:13:38 pm »
As for now I will make these rods "I" Beam rods. Just as strong as the "H" beam rods.

For now I am going to be making stock lengths for the 10-12 HP until I know the rods are durable enough then will proceed with testing other length rods form there.

8 HP Rods- Problably will not.... Why? Because there is not such a demand for these rods and they are not common for pulling aplications.

The 16 Rod- Had no clue they were off-set! I will look into this for I have a 16 that needs to be torn down...

Thank you all for your intrest I will keep everybody updated,

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 05:21:07 pm »
The 16 hp. rod from Kohler is not offset, all the hi po makers make the bottom end offset to try and straighten the rod angle at TDC. Since the bore of the 16 is 0.2500" offset from cl of the crank. If you are going to make these for hi performance use, make them an "H" beam rod, this type has been proven to be stronger for the Kohler motors. The shortest length I have heard anyone using for the Kohler motors is 5.8750", most are using 5.9375" or 6.00" for the stock stroke motors. Good luck!!
Bruce Litton