Author Topic: what size carb ???  (Read 4170 times)

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
what size carb ???
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:20:17 am »
I have a 14.5 Kohler commando on my F/X and it is bone stock, with the stock carb. I would like to know what size mm carb i can run on it, that is off a dirt bike or street bike. I just want more SNAP coming out of the corners. I was told that a SLID carb has better response then a BUTTERFLY carb.
ACE OF SPEADS RACING
CTLMRA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR 2004
CTLMRA A/P CHAMPION 2006
FIRE FIGHTER CUP CHAMPION 2006, 2007

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: what size carb ???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:33:29 am »
Slide carb. will have a little better response because there is no transition between the idle and high speed circuit, but you have to everything else behind the carb. up to snuff in order to make full use of it. Ports, manifold, cam, valves, etc. If you are using a close to stock size carb. then you would do ok without having to re-invent the motor, But if you want to use one of the monsters then you will need to do some work on the motor.
Bruce Litton

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:43:36 am »
I ran a #26 Kohler Carb on my 18 Magnum opposed up to 6000rpm all season, great throttle response and had more than enough fuel for the high RPM..

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:38:40 pm »
Thanks for helping guys. Like I said, I'm not wanting a huge carb but a better response out of the corners. The stock carb is brand new and works fine.
ACE OF SPEADS RACING
CTLMRA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR 2004
CTLMRA A/P CHAMPION 2006
FIRE FIGHTER CUP CHAMPION 2006, 2007

anything