Author Topic: Question About 18hp twin II opp.  (Read 3441 times)

Offline GTX21

• Turf Warrior
  • PA Posse Rulez!!!
    • View Profile
Question About 18hp twin II opp.
« on: October 25, 2008, 03:30:01 pm »
Ok what is the stock setting on the advancment of the flywheel? How far should i advance it? (Motors Completely stock)(No i dont want a billet flywheel) And when you guys port the motor do you port the intake and exhaust valves? Does the jug pull off this motor?, thus making it easier to port the valves. If it doesnt how do you port them? And where the exhaust comes out? Or JUST the intake manifold? How much do you guys take out? When i get the flow correct how much do you guys shave off the head? I know about the clay method just dont wanna do too much shaving. How do you guys shave your heads so they fit flush against the motor? Dont want a crocked head.                               

sorry for all the question, but i wanna do things right and not have anything rigged or wrong. Thanks in advanced
Nathan Mansberger

If your NOT 1st your LAST!

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Question About 18hp twin II opp.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 03:50:06 pm »
Stock, there is no advance of the flywheel. The keyway on the crank and the keyway on the flywheel line up (with a key installed). Jugs do not come off. You port the ports, not the valves. Use a die grinder or a dremel tool. Don't go crazy, just smooth out any rough edges. The exhaust comes out the exhaust ports (not sure what your asking there). If anything, you don't want to deck the head. Just check it for warp. If required I would only take off enough to "true" the surface and no more.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline GTX21

• Turf Warrior
  • PA Posse Rulez!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 05:27:43 pm »
Stock, there is no advance of the flywheel. The keyway on the crank and the keyway on the flywheel line up (with a key installed). Jugs do not come off. You port the ports, not the valves. Use a die grinder or a dremel tool. Don't go crazy, just smooth out any rough edges. The exhaust comes out the exhaust ports (not sure what your asking there). If anything, you don't want to deck the head. Just check it for warp. If required I would only take off enough to "true" the surface and no more.
OOPPS! I meant do you guys make the exausht hole bigger to accomdate a larger head pipe (Head pipe like off a dirt bike)
Nathan Mansberger

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 05:31:18 pm »
No, leave it alone.  Here is a hint.  Measure the valve and the stem.  Subtract the stem measurement from the valve measurement.  Now measure the exhaust port.  You don't want the ports bigger than the valves can handle.

You also don't need a pipe off a dirt bike.  Just build a header out of small exhaust pipe.  Don G at g-team sells some nice U bend pipe for this along with the flanges.
A steped header works best.

Paul

Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline GTX21

• Turf Warrior
  • PA Posse Rulez!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 11:18:41 pm »
No, leave it alone.  Here is a hint.  Measure the valve and the stem.  Subtract the stem measurement from the valve measurement.  Now measure the exhaust port.  You don't want the ports bigger than the valves can handle.

You also don't need a pipe off a dirt bike.  Just build a header out of small exhaust pipe.  Don G at g-team sells some nice U bend pipe for this along with the flanges.
A steped header works best.

Paul

Yea thats what im doing ..... just gave an example
Nathan Mansberger