Author Topic: Rookie Build - Gilson  (Read 163112 times)

Offline LVine2001

• Turf Warrior
  • NA
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mownorth.com
Re: Rookie Build - Gilson
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 03:54:46 pm »
Nope, I am way wrong, what you are doing is right,
 Some of the pieces are shaped the same so at first glance I thought we had the same mower but, after looking more closely at the pictures you have a different frame all together. It looks like your frame is different, enough so that I am not going to be of much help.

My motor plate does step down as your does just hard to see, but the rear portion is different, mine comes down further than yours does...

I sometimes have problems visualizing where the ride hight is going to be so the easiest way to see where things belong is to mount up the tires, put them on the axle and set the frame on top. that way you can see exactly where things are.

Where are you located ? Maybe I can run it over and show ya how mine is done ?
Lee Vine - Immediate Past President
Minnesota Lawn Mower Racing Association (a USLMRA Local Chapter)
USLMRA #'s guy
USLMRA Regional AC Director
USLMRA US Open Co-Chairmen
www.stcroixchassis.webs.com

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

Offline fordman21

• "The Bandit"
  • Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 04:16:18 pm »
I've built a few machines using the Gilson frame, they are pretty easy to use, not as heavy as they look and the 48" wheel base is nice too.

Ryan Kerr  519-332-9532
2007 Troy Bilt Grand National Super Modified Champion.
2008 WOO Outlaw/FXT class Champion.
2008 All American Lawnmower Championsip Outlaw twins champion.
2010 WOO Outlaw/FXT class Champion.
2010 AAMC Twin Outlaw class Champion
2012 USLMRA FX/T National Champion
2012 SRAAUSO FXT Champion<br /

Offline Running on Empty

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 04:22:25 pm »
Lee, I am glad I am not doing this wrong!!!!!!  I spent a lot of time looking at your machine before I decided to tear into mine.  Aside from the few ford racers that were built by Gilson, I think you and I have the only two Gilsons that I have seen.  I could be way wrong though, maybe there are more out there and I just havent seen them yet.

I know what you mean about the ride height.  I am not doing anything else until I get the tires rims and axle mounted up.  That stuff should be coming the end of this week.  I have been going off of theoretical tire heights, and before I go any further I want to make sure I am right.

I am located in Hartford WI.

If my rear end sits high, is it goign to hurt my handling a great deal to have an inch or two of rake to the frame?  Should I really be shooting for a little rake?

Fordman, now that frame looks really familiar!!!  How did you mount your rear end?  What ride height do you have for your frame?
Tim Waldorf
#29 Mod-x
www.bsmra2.com

Offline Running on Empty

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 12:16:48 am »
Tonight I laid the frame out on blocks to the proper heights.  I realized that the frame had too much rake to it.  I was about an inch and a half too high on the rear axle.  I also needed to extend the axle mounts rearward to maintain the original wheelbase.

I then modified my pillow block mounts.  The plates still need to get welded to the square tubing.  I am waiting to square up the width of the tunnel in the rear before I weld these on to ensure they are flat with the frame.

Tim Waldorf
#29 Mod-x
www.bsmra2.com

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 07:33:46 am »
Good stuff.. trust me.. this will be worth it . I changed so much during the year and I wish I would have taken the time to do it like you did and plan it out ahead of time.

Good work.. it looks like you have lots of room to work too which makes it really nice too...

Offline fordman21

• "The Bandit"
  • Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 08:13:57 am »
The rear axle runs through the tunnel, we are allowed to be a little lower than you guys. There is about 2" ground clearance under the front. The chassis sits level. Here is a better shot of how the rear axle is mounted.

Note: the huge rear bumper was built to customers orders.
Ryan Kerr  519-332-9532
2007 Troy Bilt Grand National Super Modified Champion.
2008 WOO Outlaw/FXT class Champion.
2008 All American Lawnmower Championsip Outlaw twins champion.
2010 WOO Outlaw/FXT class Champion.
2010 AAMC Twin Outlaw class Champion
2012 USLMRA FX/T National Champion
2012 SRAAUSO FXT Champion<br /

Offline LVine2001

• Turf Warrior
  • NA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 10:04:26 am »
"I also needed to extend the axle mounts rearward to maintain the original wheelbase."

But is the axle still sit in the same place (front to back) the original axle was ? I see a black line drawn there is that where the original axke was ?

I am not sure how tight the ARMA officials will govern this but I know in the USLMRA you have to locate the axle in the same place the stock one was you cannot move it forward or back in the chassis.

I need to pull my Gilson out of the trailer before it goes to storage tonight anyway. I will take some pictures of how it's setup and post them here tomorrow....

Note: the huge rear bumper was built to customers orders.

Wow that's quite the cowcatcher he had you put on there Ryan. Usually you see those on th efront of trains not the rear of a racing mower lol ....
USLMRA #'s guy

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

Offline Running on Empty

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 12:34:22 pm »
Lee, the line drawn on the frame is the centerline of where the original axle was.  I will maintain the "unaltered" wheelbase.
Tim Waldorf
#29 Mod-x
www.bsmra2.com

Offline LVine2001

• Turf Warrior
  • NA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 04:28:25 pm »
Lee, the line drawn on the frame is the centerline of where the original axle was.  I will maintain the "unaltered" wheelbase.

Gotcha, hang tight, let me get home, after dinner I will take a look at mine I will put a tape measure to it and we can see what's what. I can see that your fenders and motor plate are different than mine so we may be talking about 2 different animals here.
USLMRA #'s guy

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

Offline Running on Empty

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 10:50:12 pm »
Didnt get much time in the garage this weekend, but I still managed to get a few things done.  The axle came in the mail Friday, and I got my tires mounted to the rims with tubes.  That was a royal pain!!  I cant wait to do the front tires!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my tranny plate built today.  I also have the tubing cut for the tranny plate mount.

I would like to cut an acess hole in the top of the tunnel between the fender assembly and the dash.  This will allow me to get to the tranny easily for service.  Is this legal???  If it is not I will have to bolt the tranny plate to the frame because that will be to only way to take it out for service.  Obviously I would cover the hole in the tunnel with diamond plate or something like that.
Tim Waldorf
#29 Mod-x
www.bsmra2.com

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 08:02:00 am »
I have seen this done. I would think that if it is discreet and without any protrusions it would be ok...

Offline Running on Empty

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2008, 01:29:01 am »
Havent had a chance to work on the mower until tonight.  Tonight I got the tranny plate welded in, and the pillow blocks bolted to the frame.  I went to install the axle and sprocket when I finally realized that I need 1/4" by 1/8" keys as opposed to 1/4" by 1/4".  Wish I would have realized this sooner so I could have ordered the key stock with everything else I have ordered!!!

Also started tearing into the tranny.  MAN that bentonite grease is a mess.  I ran out of cleaner so I will have to clean the housing halfs later, but I have all of the gears and shafts cleaned up.  Everything looks good from what I saw.  I ordered the oil seal for the input shaft today, and will pick that up tomorrow night.  Is anyone running Amsoil 75-90 in their tranny???  That is what I planned on using unless I hear different.

Since I am planning on running a 16 HP Opposed, I ordered Don's video today to find out a little more about them before I call him to talk about a cam and flywheel.

Thats all for now.  It will be a couple days before I get back out to the shop to work on the mower!  Maybe I can catch up on some sleep!!!

Tim Waldorf
#29 Mod-x
www.bsmra2.com

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2008, 07:46:21 am »
That's a nice sprocket... is it a two piece?

It's hard to believe all those gears fit in one little case eh?

Offline Running on Empty

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 08:36:01 am »
Yea, it is a two piece from EC.

It is amazing that all the gears fit into the housing.  I will be glad when I get the tranny back together.  It took over two hours to clean the grease off the parts, and that doesnt include the housing halves!
Tim Waldorf
#29 Mod-x
www.bsmra2.com

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2008, 11:00:49 am »
When you do the front tires, it might be worth it to take it to a tire shop since those smaller tires can be a big pain. I spent 2 hours trying to get mine on before I gave up. Tire shop had it done in 2 minutes.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing