Author Topic: k321 carb  (Read 24344 times)

Wheelhorseracer

Re: k321 carb
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 01:36:43 pm »
That is exactly what I did..

Run a tab in the hole and buy a platic bolt and drill a hole through the middle... or if you want to continue to use the vent in the front of the carb you don't have to drill the hole.. and just plug the hole on the top.

I would be interested to see if you took the plunger out whether the hole goes all the way into the float bowl.

I will take a picture when I get home of my #26

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 02:01:59 pm »
i know it goes to the bowl i get gas out of it so i put a pin of some sort into the hole then cap it with a plastic screw? where can i find a manual choke shaft and lever?

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 05:23:31 pm »
Can the electric choke control just come off the shaft? then you can leave the shaft in place and add something to help you turn it when you need it..

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 06:21:58 pm »
Have not really looked at it yet will tonight would still like pics of that plug

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 08:40:14 pm »
were you gonna post pictures of that mod you did i would like to see what it entails thanks

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 09:15:22 pm »

This is the vent I drilled up through the bowl and out the top.. you already have this hole.. I tapped it and screwed in a plastic bolt with a hole drilled in the center. I then just cut the head off.

On the top right you can see where the old was. It used to go out in the air breather for venting.. but bouncy tracks would make the bowl push fuel out of this hole and the engine would suck it up. I tapped it and screwed in a plastic bolt then cut off the excess

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 09:59:27 pm »
im having a real hard time tryin to get this thing runnin it will crank about 15 seconds then pop and repeat. i have spark and fuel. wheelhorser i think im gonna plug that hole in the top completely i noticed there is another vent in the bottom of the carb throat would this hurt to do?  i think im loading up the engine i got it to run for about 30 seconds the other day and now nothin...

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 10:13:34 pm »
You might need to pull the bowl and check the needle and seat for dirt..

You pull the bowl, then slide the little pin holding the float in.. but keep your hand under it cause as soon as you remove the float the needle will fall out in your hand..

Take off the fuel line and blow some air through the fuel inlet to clear it out.. check the condition of the needle and if it seems worn then replace..

You can remove the high speed needle and the idle screw ( it is a small needle) then clean them up with a wire wheel.. ( count the turns to make sure they go back in the same place when you put them back in)

You can use a welder tip cleaner to clean the holes in the high speed jet.. usually a wire wheel will clean them up nicely though..

While the needles and idle screw is out blow air through the vents to make sure they are clean..

Reassemble and try it out again..

All of this should only take 15 minutes.. and can make a big difference..

How strong is the spark and when was the last time you set the point gap? 

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 11:48:56 pm »
never set the point gap, i blew out the high idle and low idle jets didnt do the fuel bowl though do that tomorrow..this thing came from an ol gen all i did when i got it was make sure it turned over other than that just short burst of running no longer than 30 seconds..

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 12:33:03 am »
lookin at the pics of your carb you have 2 holes in the choke plate and i looked at mine and it has none could making holes make any difference

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 08:20:54 am »
Maybe.. I would think you would want a bit of air to get through there..

You have to be VERY careful if you want to remove it.. the screws are brass and they strip and break easy..

You might have to file down your screwdriver so it fit's snug in the screw.. that will minimize the chance of it breaking..

Once the plate is off the shaft will slide out the side.. thee is two little "balls" inside the bore which holds the shaft at the location you choice when you put on the choke.. they normally don't fall out.. but just letting you know it's there..

When you get off the bowl have a good look inside for rust and make sure it is really clean..

When you unscrew the high speed needle and have the bowl off you can look up inside the shaft that goes up which holds the needle.. the jet is inside and needs to be clean and clear.. don't try to take out the jet inside ... most of the time they will not come out and you can wreck the casting if you try.. just make sure it is clean..

But the needle and seat is what you need to check first as it is the most common reason for a poor running Kohler carb.

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 10:15:48 am »
thanks ill give that a try when i get home from work today. also gonna check my points gap.

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 10:54:02 am »
Ya.. use some emery cloth to clean the points.. I prefer to use a non-metallic feeler gauge to check the gap.. but that's just habit from checking the points in my 1965 Chrysler..

Offline 300xdeere

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 12:03:38 pm »
After reading on a little bit i don't think your motor not running has any thing to do with your carb this all sounds like a fly wheel key beeing sheared. Pull your fly wheel off i'm almost willing to bet its messed up. Because you said it was back firing out of carb, and that some times it would run for a few seconds, sounds like the flywheel is slipping into and out of proper timming.

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 12:21:23 pm »
Ill check it but im almost positive it has not moved

anything