Author Topic: k321 carb  (Read 24354 times)

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
k321 carb
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:37:20 pm »
Can someone tell me where i can get a carb with a manual choke my current carb has some kind of electric choke and i cant get it to work properly

Wheelhorseracer

Re: k321 carb
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 01:43:44 pm »
Ebay.. Carb Search

Or check out this site and ask some of the members
http://www.mytractorforum.com

Remember that you can use a #26 or a #30 carb on there as they are interchangable..

Offline amcchevy1

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:46:51 pm »
i wish i could get rid of my carb too. its on a 15hp kohler command, on my grass cutting walk behind. it has some type of spring on it and its constantly choking my mower.
2007, 2008 amra member.  modified flathead
2008-2010 arma member.  sportsman
If you build it, it should fly.
take it out and let it eat...
www.GoLawnMowerRacing.com
www.alleghanymowerracingassociation.com

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 08:48:11 pm »
here is a pic of my carb

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:57:28 pm »
Yep a #26 or #30 Kohler carb will bolt right in in place of that.. I pulled the emission Walbro off my Magnum and swapped on a #26 and what a huge difference it made.. plus it gave me the high speed adjustment...

Offline 300xdeere

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 10:01:01 pm »
I believe carb does have the high speed you can see it on top...If its a stock mower just for cutting grass or some thing of that sort...then i'm sure you can get the choke plate/arm from a carb that has one that is manual but if its in some kind of racer/puller you can take the choke right out and fill the holes left behind and get a small amount of performance gains.

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:40:13 pm »
Yep.. I should have blown the picture up...

There is a high speed adjust on it.. I would think that would be a #26...

In my #26 I used the choke shaft and butterfly from an emissions Walbro that came with the engine.. it was exactly the same size just the Walbro uses different coding that isn't a true reflection of the venturi diameter like the Kohler carbs did..

According to my K-series manual that electric choke was an option on some models.. as most of the K series engines I have seen never had it..

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:16:53 am »
to the right of the high speed adjustment is some kind of port not sure what its for but if the engine backfires gas come out of it on the carbs ive looked at on ebay none of them have this here is a pic of that side let me know if you dont see what im talkin about

Offline 300xdeere

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:43:35 am »
It is most likely a flowboal vent and or an external vent from inside the carb. All carbs should have them weather they shoot gas out of them not really to sure, i try not to look to close when their back firing :P

Offline jim russell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:07:07 am »
hey do you guys know if the #26 and #31 will fit on the 15 hp kohler command ohv motors with no mods to the block or adapter plats. i want to get rid of the emmsinions carb
Jim

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:42:11 am »
I think im just gonna swap out for a different carb...

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 11:59:19 am »
I wouldn't swap carbs..

But that port is exactly where i drilled a vent hole.. it will go down into the bowl where there is a round rasised area in the casting..

You can still use the carb..

What i did was to tap the bowl vent into the airbreather at the front (if you look down the hole it will meet with the other port) and tapped it and screwed in a nylon bolt and cut off the head.. then the engine can only vent off the hole... which it what you have already..

So the factory did the mod for you.. I had to drill up through the the bottom on the carb inside the bowl to make that vent..

You should check to see if that vent goes directly into the float bowl.. if not it is a 10 second drilling to do it...

If your tractor starts well without the choke, then just take it off and run it..

They are very simplet the disassemble and rebuild and clean.. I wire wheel everything including inside the inlet and outlet of the carb to smooth out the casting flashes.. and it really helps the off throttle response..

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 12:34:30 pm »
 You are correct in that it is a vent hole. I have seen ones with the electric choke, but usually the little shut off solenoids are in the fual inlet passage. With the solenoid in the bowl area what will happen is if it is shut off and the motor is still running then the bowl will overflow. There are two vents on the K series carbs. one is located in the carb throat on the bottom of the opening< this one is the main jet vent, if this one gets plugged then it will surge rich on top end. The other is the one discussed here. If it is plugged then the fuel bowl will overflow (an atmospheric pressure thing). I agree that you might pull out the solenoid, cap it with a welch plug that you can get at any good hardware store for about $0.10, then drill a vent hole on the flywheel side of that boss. Hole size from 0.062 to 0.0937 should be plenty. I agree that if you are having problems with the choke then pull it out and replace it with a manual set up. These can be found lots of places.
In looking at your first picture I can see there is already a vent on the front of the carb opening about 2 o'clock. Again, you can still drill an external vent hole and will be fine. All our race carbs have an external vent hole.
Bruce Litton

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 12:43:32 pm »
I had to run an external vent and plug the one inside the breather because when I would hit bumps it would splash fuel out the vent tube and into the opening of the carb.. causing the carb to surge on the track.. or flood

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 01:28:31 pm »
That port does have some kind of solenoid with a plunger i take out the plunger? and replace it with a plastic screw and drill a small hole in the top of it?