Author Topic: k321 carb  (Read 24345 times)

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: k321 carb
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 12:33:39 pm »
If it is a later model 14hp. motor then there is no ignition magnets inside the flywheel. It will be charging magnets only. Check and clean out your carb. really good, as you disassemble the carb. completely and flush out every orfice, check the idle circuit fuel holes. They will be on the backside of the butterfly on the same side as the idle air screw. Make sure they are not plugged. Make sure the vent holes are not plugged also. If the carb checks out OK, then you might replace the spark plug, or put a spark checker on the plug and if it runs good with the spark checker on, but will not run with it off then replace the plug. Something to think about. ;)
Bruce Litton

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 12:39:23 pm »
Sometimes if the condenser quits you will get a miss fire as too much energy is passed through the points.

You just go to a Kohler dealer and pick up a set of point and condenser... also if you do pull the points it's good to look at the condition of the push rod that activates the points to make sure it isn't worn. You can sometimes shine a light in the hole to check if the eccentric on the camshaft that the pushrod runs on is worn.. most of the time the rod would wear before the camshaft.

Since the timing is done by the points and not by magnetic pick-up on the flywheel the only issue of the K-key moving is that the balance of the flywheel would be off.

The plug gap will effect the timing.. you can actual read the timing through a timing hole on the tin using an inductive pick-up timing light but this is usually not necessary..

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 03:41:49 pm »
Would any condenser work like one from a distributor? there all basically the same right?

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 04:05:14 pm »
... ya they are the same as the one found in distributors. but sometimes they are a bit of a pain to get to work with the cap that goes over the points if they are not the one with the coated wire... sometime they will give you a condenser with a wire strap coming off of it.. ti is a real pain to get it to go out through the slot in the points cap ... you need to have the condenser grounded and that usually means fastening it to the engine block right beside the cap...

You can search on Google to see how to check a condenser.. but I haven't... if the points look burnt the condenser is probably bad... it takes the extra current away so that the points don't arc and wear themselves out.. when the condenser goes bad it eats up the points from all the arcing.. you can actually see it in the dark..

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 09:13:22 pm »
well i did notice the other day my condenser was just hangin around noticed it would spark to ground when tryin to fire it so i found the clamp for it intalled it onto the block and no change as for tryin to install it mine is right net to the coil it does not go into the points cap like someone else was saying earlier

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 10:54:34 pm »
Well i got it to run a lil longer tonight had to have the throttle about 1/2 way open with main set at 3 1/4 and low set at 2 1/2 really thinkin its a carb issue when it was runnin it was popping pretty bad not sure what else to do

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 09:27:49 am »
What did the points look like?

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 10:09:15 am »
they looked really good actually

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 12:25:32 pm »
OK.. that good to know.. and you fastened the condenser back tot he block?

I never thought.. but maybe the carb gasket has a leak and you are getting a vacuum leak between the carb on manifold?

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 06:37:24 pm »
All i know is that im gettin frustrated with it, it has compression fuel and spark i cant check the timing until i get it to run... not sure what else to do

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 06:52:50 pm »
.. have you adjusted the mixture screw at all.. you could be so far off with the screws that it will not start or stay running..

The initial setting from Kohler are the following..

High Speed jet: turn the screw all the way in until it bottom out.. then turn back 1 1/4 turns

Do the same with the idle screw...

The adjust from there... first move the idle screw then the high speed...

You will notice the revs go up then down... you want the fine balance between them..

You will need the engine warm and reved to about 3000 to properly set the high speed jet..

Here is some good reading material for you...

http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/carbfuel.htm

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 12:28:40 pm »
Thanks ill look it over later today

Offline bodydropped72

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 10:17:51 pm »
well i finally got it to idle still sounds like its missing in a way also the throttle response is kinda sluggish sounds like its gettin overloaded kept adjust the high idle(main) jet but it really didnt seem to help that much. ive only got about 1 1/2 to 2ft of exhaust on it not sure if this is effecting it let me know your thoughts..also i read a little bit on that weblink..think if i did that boring of the main needle and closed off the middle holes in the needle it will do anything...

Offline joshco84

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »
If you are adjusting the mixture screw and its not doing anything, there could be two problems i can think of off hand

1.  Are you adjusting the correct screw?

and 2.  It sounds to me like it is starving for fuel if you are turning the right needle.

Offline amcchevy1

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 11:32:24 pm »
if you're adjusting and it ain't changing then you may need to clean the carb. Have you checked your fuel? water can sneak in there if it has been outside.
2007, 2008 amra member.  modified flathead
2008-2010 arma member.  sportsman
If you build it, it should fly.
take it out and let it eat...
www.GoLawnMowerRacing.com
www.alleghanymowerracingassociation.com