Author Topic: flooding??  (Read 3575 times)

Offline jedi_mike118

• View Profile
flooding??
« on: August 16, 2008, 08:24:36 pm »
we have a 12.5 flathead, been running good all season till last week,when all of a sudden it wouldnt run long, start up fine when cold. idle fine, take the gas allso, but after a few mins. it would shut off.. flooded for some reason, anybody know what might be causing this?havent been inside a carb in 19+ years, need a little help...lol

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: flooding??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 09:10:40 pm »
Sounds like a good time to get back in one and clean it up..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline jedi_mike118

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 09:38:20 pm »
going to do that tuesday, ill cross my fingers and hope for the best.i learn fast but helps to know what ur doing tho. to start with...lol

Offline joshco84

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:42:33 pm »
which carb is it?  most of the time you can take the bowl off and clean it out really well and make sure everything is freed up and they will start working right again.  I personally like to use wd 40 to clean them out, seems to work very well.

Offline jedi_mike118

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 10:17:33 pm »
ok ill try that, i ran the story by my brother -n-law today and he said like one of the jets is clogged up,the gas filter was all stop up on race day and i had to poke a  hole in the filter so the gas would flow,didnt have time to really mess with it, missed the heat laps and it was time for the main event, got it on the track and it died,  i guess some of the trash  got into the carb, man thats a long way to push a mower back to the pits and embarrassing....lol

Offline joshco84

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 11:05:07 pm »
Yeah i would bet there is some crap in the carb that you knocked loose out of the fuel filter.  You would have been better off doing away with the filter than poking a hole through it.   Plugged filters are full of little particles that like to plug carb passages and holes.

Offline bfd811

• The Intimidator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 01:11:00 am »
Spray some carburetor cleaner in there.

Just take the carb off and spray carb cleaner in every little crack the little jokers got

Offline jedi_mike118

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 04:09:42 pm »
yea, going to work on it today and ill see how it goes. thanks for all the help.