Author Topic: Statesman mower sportsman build  (Read 9016 times)

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Statesman mower sportsman build
« on: August 16, 2008, 10:03:14 pm »
   Ok I Talked my friend into racing mowers so here starts the build! He found a Statesman mower he got for free that he will get me to build. He does not have the tools to do it so I will build it for him.  By the way the fenders are rusted away so if you live near rockingham county NC and have some fenders PM me!
      For these first pics I am tearing it down!

Mower pics to come!
NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!!! .....................ANYTHING is Possible.

Offline wayne shaffer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Statesman mower sportsman build
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 10:41:26 pm »
benfield boy this is wayne shaffer I talked to you a Mowdown in Whiteville, I'm building tho two troy bilt tractors. I have a Lowes tractor
that I was going to build but am no longer going to mess with. Its just a body but if you want it you can have it. Let me know if interested and next time you go to Whiteville and race I'll carry it with me and you can get it there.

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:38:26 am »
 OK I tore it down and took it to his house and got him to pressure wash the pieces of the frame to get all of the dirt and grime off of it.

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 10:43:40 am »
 OK I got the frame put back together and started the welding. I like to fully weld the back of it the best I can, inside and out.

I need some advise on the dash support. I have looked over George's build and I have the general idea but any advise is welcome!

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:02:30 pm »
 Well I went out in the shop this morning and started on the dash support and general frame strengthening.
 In the two pics below it shows the dash support welded in. I used 1" tubing, I wanted to use 3/4" but 1" is all I had! Now the two pieces that stick up on the dash support where cut at a 45* angle and were a perfect fit. To make sure it would all fit snug to the plastic dash I tacked the tubing with the dash bolted in.

Here you can see how it all fits in the dash.

In these photos you can see the plate I cut out for the pipe the bearing will go in. You can what it looks like with and without the dash.

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:03:46 am »
 Me and slim went to Northern tool and got parts for the back axle. We got the bearing kit,sprocket hub, and axle.
    While I didn't have parts I done some body work. I tried my best to make the back look like one piece.

Now this is how I install the bearing holder for the back axle. Fist I cut two wood blocks to 4 1/4" and then I put the front wheels on that will be ran on the mower. Then I put the two back wheels on the back axle and let about 6" stick out of one side. I then sit the mower on a level surface and put the two blocks under the back of the frame.

Then I take a level and make sure the frame is not leaning one way to the other.

Now I take the back axle and wheels and put the axle against the frame between the two bolt holes for the trans that was on the mower. I mark around the holes and then fill the hole in to make a big dot.

Now I take the bearing and bolt it to the hanger and put it up to the fame. The dot should be centered in the middle of the bearing. Now mark around the hanger so you know where to weld it.

My camera died so I could not take a pic of the next step. Make another mark about 1/4" inside of the line you just made. This is your cut mark.
        Sorry for the blurry pics but the camera isn't the best in the world!

Offline John692

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 07:03:11 am »
Looks good!

How wide are those rear rim's?
John #692
USLMRA
PALMRA
IMOW
C/P in the works

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 09:04:55 am »
 They are 8" or 9" I think.