Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 7237 times)

Offline Mowtown Rob

• View Profile
New to Forum
« on: July 30, 2008, 05:07:02 pm »
Greetings!

I have been reading for a couple of weeks now, and I just joined the forum last night. I am a boat mechanic in Florida and I have been toying around with the idea of getting into Lawnmower racing for a while now. I don't have a machine yet, but I do have a lot of questions. First and foremost, are there any races (Racers) near me? What is the deal with the rules? I have read through the USLMRA rules, but i am confused. Do you have to start out with a stock machine before you can race anything else? If so, how many steps are there before you can get into FX class racing? Also, do you have to run a deck in FX class? I have a lot more questions, but I'll restrict myself for now. Thanks for your time!

Rob

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:00:22 pm »
flyingrugg@earthlink.net is TOM Ast email he is the President in the Avon Park Fla. USLMRA club. He can answer all your questions.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:31:39 am »
Florida would be a great place to have a racer... race all year round in the sun.. then go to the beach... :D

Offline iused2mow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:49:56 am »
i think you have to race a year in a preppared or imow class to move to fx maybe 2
wide open into the corner, pray to god i make it out

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:03:53 am »
Where you at in Florida Rob??

As George points out, Tom Ast is down in Avon Park. USLMRA Chapter there.

There is likewise a USLMRA Associated Chapter down in that neck of the woods. Sid Whiteside would be your contact there... You can catch up with him and read about that AC's happenings over on the USLMRA Forum at - http://www.uslmra.com/forum/index.php?board=71.0

And, George left out the ARMA Chapter in Jacksonville!!

And, USLMRA chapters in Georgia, as well as, if you're on the North end of the state.

Your USLRMA contact for Georgia is:

Robert (Bob) Blair
enduro@netally.com
850-971-4391
Fax:850-971-4392

Likewise, I believe Jack "HardCase" Jones is down around Palm Coast somewhere, if he didn't float off during last week's storm. He can probably point you to all the clubs in the state.

And, there is as best I recall a church over in the panhandle that runs lawn mower races as a fund raiser. Mostly stock, just pulley changes, and I honestly don't recall where I found the article. So I can't help you there.

And, I'll be in Lake City in about 2 months, through next June.
Florida would be a great place to have a racer... race all year round in the sun.. then go to the beach... :D

Not really... they typically run over the winter months. Gets too hot during the summer. Although I'm sure there are a few.

i think you have to race a year in a preppared or imow class to move to fx maybe 2

Absolutely correct, to a point. USLMRA requires a license to race in National events, with a year's experience on a Prepared Class mower (BP excluded, same rule applies there). The IMOW class is also included in that definition, since the chassis now used, is a prepared class chassis.

However... the local level is left to the discretion of the local chapter, as many of us are short mowers. If they allow you to start in FX and you prove yourself there, and the Local Chapter President will vouch for your abilities, you can request the permit before that year is up, wherein exception may be allowed at the discretion of the National Event Race Steward, after talking with the LCP, your racing peers, and testing your knowledge of racing etiquette and your abilities on the track.

Thus essentially 2 steps into FX, unless allowed by the LC. FX is a handful however, and mowers do not handle like any other form of racing machine, it is therefore advised that you start with something a little more tame, and move up to FX. Most folks involved in this sport have 2 - 3 (or more) mowers anyhow, so starting in a prepared class really isn't a big deal, as you'll probably want one of those sooner or later too.

Deal with the rules... USLMRA was seeing too many check book racers. Guys buying into machines they truly weren't capable of hanlding. The rule was drafted in the interest of safety, to try and get those guys a little experience before they jumped into the faster BP and FX classes.   

Deck on FX... may be fabricated, to resemble a mower deck. All prepared classes require part of a real mower deck be used. Most chop the deck up and weld or bolt pieces of them to the running boards to simulate a deck.