Author Topic: New to all this  (Read 4731 times)

Grasser

New to all this
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:18:30 pm »
I was at the Avery Tx lawnmower race this month, and as they say caught the bug. :woo: Gives me something to do with the dozen or so junk mowers in the back yard. So I have so many questions about gettin started n all. I will be here often with them. So here is the first, I have a couple of old junk motorcycles, is it worth salvaging the disk brake systems to use on a mower or sould I use race built aftermarket systems

Offline briggsracer1892

• Turf Warrior
  • wheeee
    • View Profile
Re: New to all this
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 08:14:07 pm »
soem people use motorcycle brakes with great sucess!
sit down, hold on, shut up

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:43 pm »
It's often more fabrication and micky mouse adjustment than they are worth when you can buy a decent ready to fit brake system for reasonablr price.
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 03:50:12 pm »
Several issues apply to use of Motorcycle parts...

1.) You will always need a record of the bike it came from for availability of replacement parts at a later date. Which might not always be easy to find.

2.) Dependent upon year and model of the motorcycle parts availability may be less than convenient. 

3.) Replacement parts for motorcyle brakes will likely exceed costs of aftermarket cart brake parts.

Considering fabrication time to fit to application, and potential costs in the long run, if you can find them, it's simply easier to run a cart brake and be done with it. While they will work, and they may be free at this point, they may not present your best option.

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 08:18:43 pm »
Several issues apply to use of Motorcycle parts...

1.) You will always need a record of the bike it came from for availability of replacement parts at a later date. Which might not always be easy to find.

2.) Dependent upon year and model of the motorcycle parts availability may be less than convenient. 

3.) Replacement parts for motorcyle brakes will likely exceed costs of aftermarket cart brake parts.

Considering fabrication time to fit to application, and potential costs in the long run, if you can find them, it's simply easier to run a cart brake and be done with it. While they will work, and they may be free at this point, they may not present your best option.

Ditto!   I run motorcycle brakes now. And I will not do it again, they work great but they were a bear to get set up right and the replacement pads are $42 a piece. 4 sets of pads and I bought myself a nice cart setup!
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:49:35 am »
You can get a decent MCP Kart brake kit that includes the master cylinder, rotor, caliper, brake lines, rotor hub, and pedal for about $150. They work great and are easy to install. I'd go for something like that.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing