Author Topic: Why do you race at outlaw tracks?  (Read 19904 times)

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you race at outlaw tracks?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2008, 08:07:40 pm »
My opinion is the "National Organizations"  are sanctioned, organized, regulated, and provide insurance.

That is something the (can we call them?) "non-sanctioned" groups fall short on...

Ron you and I at the BTLMRA meet last year discussed the importance of insurance and the lack of it at some "non-sanctioned" events...

I believe that was the comparison Bruce was trying to make... USLMRA and ARMA have major player insurance programs in place "for the racer".. most non-sanctioned events do not...

I don't care how "very safety conscience and very serious about the sport" a group is when some one cartwheels down the front stretch who is paying the bill...?? and it's gonna happen... George knows his "National Organization" has good insurance because it was TESTED...

I happen to know from first hand experience that the USLMRA has excellent coverage as well because I TESTED it personally last year :omg:

I hope NO ONE gets them selves in the position to find out the non-sanctioned /independent or "whatever" organization they run with CAN'T PASS The TEST..!!!

Let's skip the "lables" and focus on the point...is that the kind of rsk you want to take...??

As much as I like racing I have to be able to go to work in the morning..

Let's be safe, smart and civil out there.....

Randy I totally agree with you on the insurance issue and I do like being a member of a well organized, sanctioned, and regulated group and will promote it 100%, heck I wish we all were sanctioned.

I also enjoy racing with the "non-sanctioned" group that I am a member of and I have talked to the president about getting insurance for the racers and from what I understand its in the works. I also talked to them about becoming a chapter but thats probably not going to happen, guys have way too much money tied up in these machines to change their builds. 

It is not the name calling that struck a nerve. It was the way it came across as the "non-sanctioned groups aren't good enough or too dangerous to race with, or as Bruce said "dicey". To me this sounded like if you don't race with a "sanctioned " group then your an outcast.

Sorry Rooster for highjacking your thread!!!!! Just got a little offended!

So the way I see it you can start a Sanctioned or non sanctioned group just get some insurance either way you go.

And on a lighter note:
As much as I like racing I have to be able to go to work in the morning..

Squidd I know insurance is good, but is there some that will get you back to work on Monday even if your hurt!!! :lol:

Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2008, 08:28:14 pm »
Squidd I know insurance is good, but is there some that will get you back to work on Monday even if your hurt!!

What I ment was as long as I have to go to work Monday anyway, I want the money to go to support my family, or buy lawnmower parts rather than pay medical bills and ambulance rides.... ;)
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 10:26:25 pm »
I think that was about two hours after "i'm ok , I just have to sit down for a minute" That was a very scary crash and it dramatically showed me the need to be covered by ins whenever I race, where ever I race.... You were very lucky on that one but I'm sure that hurt for several weeks later but it sounds like your medical bills were taken care of and thats also important.  ;) For the record I race in both us and arma and are happy with both!!
" Parts Delivered Quick "
ADVANCE AUTO PARTS - SP 829
ARMA member
USLMRA member

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 10:44:56 pm »
  The track I go to the most in Whiteville has insurance.
NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!!! .....................ANYTHING is Possible.

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2008, 03:32:33 am »
First, I get the point..Insurance good!
Not about to open myself up to the liability of running anything without it.
Lets not assume unsanctioned = uninsured.

As far as the hijacked thread, is ok with me, this is what forums are for, and I kinda knew I was in for some of that when I started thread, not really what I wanted, but I am thread starter, not owner!

As so far in what Bruce and  Geoerge had to say...I asked for opinions....Mr Kaufman's statement did sound a little "Were better than them" to me too, but I type before I think sometimes too.

If anybody has some other input besides insurance and/or Bruce :censored: me off, would sure like to hear it.

BTW, if you all are interested, I got a call from Mr. Crower, we will probably be trying to Start an ARMA chapter, though not totally decided yet.

Our reasons thus far, ARMA insurance, and their willingness to work with us on the rules package, flexibility allowed in the LC's, and the support they have offered.

But to be fair, have only had one E-mail with the US, so haven't really given them a fair look I guess.

In the end, still a long time until next year, and lots of work to do/decisions to make.

Again, any input helpful.
If you marked "other" on the poll, explanations would help.
If you don't run outlaw tracks....I guess there is no reason to reply.

Thanks
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 08:28:41 am »
  The track I go to the most in Whiteville has insurance.

But does it pay for the driver if hurt!!!
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 09:25:42 am »
There is a difference between "outlaw" and "uninsured"
If you are racing uninsured, it is because the venue you have chosen to race at did not provide you with insurance because they didn't do what was necessary to cover you.
A track can get insurance and be "unafiliated" and should recognize that it is their responsability to cover the needs of their racers if injured. 

This section of the forum is not, and should not be used as a place for anyone to pitch an organization.  If a non-afiliated track decides that joining an organization is best for their growing needs, then it isn't like it is real tough for them to figure out who to contact.

In this section of the forum, the only value a sanctioning body really has is that of an insurance source, and a guide for safety standards.  Those wishing to pitch their organization should recognize that.

This forum DOES NOT condone racing without insurance, and even though the people running this website understand that new tracks sometimes have yet to grow to the point where insurance is possible, the attitude of those racers and the track owner MUST be such that they are open to the idea that "sanctioned style" racing with respect to safety and insurance should be their immediate goal.  It is my personal belief that every track should aspire to be affiliated with one of the organizations and they should investigate their options and choose what best fits their needs.

"Backyard bashers" is a 4 letter word on this website.  Ask any of the moderators and they will tell you how serious I am about that.  I prefer to call them "potential members of a sanctioning body," and it stands to reason that the way a sanctioning body treats these people will have an impact on which organization these potential members choose.
My other sites:
Visit Heymow on  Facebook!
http://www.legendsracer.com   Legends Car Racing forum.
http://www.wattcycles.com      Electric Bicycle forum.

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 10:21:24 am »
What I ment was as long as I have to go to work Monday anyway, I want the money to go to support my family, or buy lawnmower parts rather than pay medical bills and ambulance rides.... ;)

I knew what you meant. I was just poking fun!!!! :D

I don't know about the Whitevile track, but I talked to Kermit at the Cyclone track about insurance and he said that their insurance does pay for the racer's injuries.

There is a difference between "outlaw" and "uninsured"
If you are racing uninsured, it is because the venue you have chosen to race at did not provide you with insurance because they didn't do what was necessary to cover you.
A track can get insurance and be "unafiliated" and should recognize that it is their responsability to cover the needs of their racers if injured. 

This section of the forum is not, and should not be used as a place for anyone to pitch an organization.  If a non-afiliated track decides that joining an organization is best for their growing needs, then it isn't like it is real tough for them to figure out who to contact.

In this section of the forum, the only value a sanctioning body really has is that of an insurance source, and a guide for safety standards.  Those wishing to pitch their organization should recognize that.

This forum DOES NOT condone racing without insurance, and even though the people running this website understand that new tracks sometimes have yet to grow to the point where insurance is possible, the attitude of those racers and the track owner MUST be such that they are open to the idea that "sanctioned style" racing with respect to safety and insurance should be their immediate goal.  It is my personal belief that every track should aspire to be affiliated with one of the organizations and they should investigate their options and choose what best fits their needs.

"Backyard bashers" is a 4 letter word on this website.  Ask any of the moderators and they will tell you how serious I am about that.  I prefer to call them "potential members of a sanctioning body," and it stands to reason that the way a sanctioning body treats these people will have an impact on which organization these potential members choose.

This is the way to promote a Sanctioned group without choosing sides or bashing a non-sanctioned group! Very well said! The point was driven home and wasn't offensive!

This says it all:   I prefer to call them "potential members of a sanctioning body," and it stands to reason that the way a sanctioning body treats these people will have an impact on which organization these potential members choose. 

Ron Leavitt #2 1/2

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2008, 02:55:42 pm »

Yes it does. He has the same insurance as ARMA does.
NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!!! .....................ANYTHING is Possible.

Offline nic_hayes

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Let's Go Racing!
    • View Profile
    • Hayes Mowersports
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 04:06:26 pm »
The reason our club went solo or non sanctioned is because the USLMRA gave us the boot a few years ago. But we do have very good insurance and we do every thing like one of the big groups.
Nic Hayes - #427 - CP/Mod-X - Small Engine Performace
15 Time Indoor Winter Nationals Champion
2006 Kansas Outlaws Modified Class Champion
http://hayesmowersports.synthasite.com/

Offline amcchevy1

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2008, 09:17:19 pm »
if you build a track and want to figure out which way to go then i would say, go with what the racers want in that area. you can run classes to accomodate whatever the racers are comfortable with. if you want to follow a sanctioning body or non sanctioned, of course you're going to comply with safety and get insurance.
     if its gonna be a season track instead of a track in rotation then make your spectators and racers happy and they will be there.
2007, 2008 amra member.  modified flathead
2008-2010 arma member.  sportsman
If you build it, it should fly.
take it out and let it eat...
www.GoLawnMowerRacing.com
www.alleghanymowerracingassociation.com

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2008, 10:01:08 pm »
Well after a very convincing call from Stacey Crower,and much discussion we have Indeed decided to try and make a go of it with ARMA.

Much thanks for all the input and advice, and hope some of you will someday run with us.
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline nic_hayes

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Let's Go Racing!
    • View Profile
    • Hayes Mowersports
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2008, 10:05:16 pm »
I think thats the best thing you can do Rooster.
Nic Hayes - #427 - CP/Mod-X - Small Engine Performace
15 Time Indoor Winter Nationals Champion
2006 Kansas Outlaws Modified Class Champion
http://hayesmowersports.synthasite.com/

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2008, 10:16:52 pm »
Well after a very convincing call from Stacey Crower,and much discussion we have Indeed decided to try and make a go of it with ARMA.

Much thanks for all the input and advice, and hope some of you will someday run with us.

Congrats!!! Let us know how things go!!!
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 11:01:46 pm »
 :+1:

For all the ones with good advice. Thanks
Bert stole my cookies!!