Author Topic: Why do you race at outlaw tracks?  (Read 19917 times)

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
Re: Why do you race at outlaw tracks?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 12:47:22 am »
"Outlaw" is a racing term that simply means "Non-Affiliated", or used to until the  "World Of Outlaws"  organized and got so big.
It is often confused with "Unlimited" or "Unregulated".
"Unlimited" is a class designation meaning really friggin fast
"Unregulated" means idiots racing unsafe machines of anny tpe.

If your racing at a track that is not Affiliated with a sanctioning body or Organization, Such as the US or ARMA, Or one of the options we have looked at, a chapter of an organized group like The MWLMRA, your racing at an "Outlaw" track. It's not a derogatory term or a bad thing at all...though some may believe that.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

As far as Sanctioning Bodies...I know what one is, but in the case of say, using Benny's example, The AMRA, Are they a "Local Organization" Or a "Sanctioning Body". By definition would they not be a Sanctioning body?
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline kohler guy

• Turf Warrior
  • Old Skool Racing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 07:11:16 am »
The track I race at the most is an outlaw track that runs to AMRA rules. Mowdow Mower Sports in Whiteville NC.
  This comment has struck a nerve.  The "outlaw" track I run at is a top notch track. It is not just a field that he bush hogged, it is a purpose build track that he has put gosh only knows how much time into.

And who is to say who is an outlaw group and who isn't? Who says ARMA and USLMRA are the only two affiliated organisations? what makes an affiliated organisation?  AMRA has a safe set of rules that have many different classes, very much like ARMA and USLMRA.

I am a member of ARMA and I have put every bit of $1,200 into it and STILL WON'T RUN WITH THE OTHERS!
All I am saying is that amra has a set of rules that you can build a fast and safe mower for cheap and still compete. Face it people, a doctor or lawyer who has money is not going to go to a lawn mower race and say "This is something I want to do".  We are going to attract "the common man" who does not have $2,000 just to build and go race.

AMRA Is a great organization! I too am building a mower to their rules and they really regulate and spcify the safety matters and issues in there rules. As Benny said "AMRA has a safe set of rules that have many different classes, very much like ARMA and USLMRA."

Yes the USLMRA and ARMA Are great things!

"Much friendlier and much more fun" is a subjective statement which implies a racer will have a better time racing with one group as opposed to another, when what is closer to the truth is that you will very likely have fun with any sanctioned, organized, insured, well-run organization that takes safety, rules and well-run compeition seriously.  It is with the "Outlaw" or "Run What You Brung" type of groups - or "Backyard Bashers" as referred to here on HeyMow, that gets a little dicey.  

Im with Ron and Benny on this as well I take offense  to that!  Again AMRA Is a great group with saftey rules just like the ARMA AND USLMRA. Not all outlaw groups are "Back yard bashers' So to speak. And as it was stated above why dont you attend some "outlaw" races here in North Carolina and see what it is really like for yourself!

Craftsmen
Old Skool Racing #45
http://www.alleghanymowerracingassociation.com/

Stock Flathead Class

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 07:52:20 am »
The AMRA, Are they a "Local Organization" Or a "Sanctioning Body". By definition would they not be a Sanctioning body?

They are a local organization!

And it is not just AMRA that I feel like  "MRMOWITALL" is referring to. I have heard of several "OUTLAW" tracks that take the sport of mower racing very serious!

Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline mrmowitall

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.letsmow.com
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 10:54:14 am »
Guys, I meant no offense to anyone!!!!!!  In fact USLMRA has an affilated Club the Dixie Outllaws!!!!

How about I (we????) use the term "Independent" instead of "Outlaw" or "Non-Affiliated."

Also glad to see HeyMow get away from use of the term "Backyard Bashers" as I can see how some people might not like that term.

Mow on!!!!!!!!

Bruce Kaufman
Mr. Mow It All
Founder & Past President
U.S. Lawn Mower Racing Association
Founded April 1, 1992

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 11:40:40 am »
  We all use a bad choice of words sometimes.
NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!!! .....................ANYTHING is Possible.

Offline kohler guy

• Turf Warrior
  • Old Skool Racing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 01:14:11 pm »
  We all use a bad choice of words sometimes.

Ditto!
Craftsmen
Old Skool Racing #45
http://www.alleghanymowerracingassociation.com/

Stock Flathead Class

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 02:33:24 pm »
It is with the "Outlaw" or "Run What You Brung" type of groups - or "Backyard Bashers" as referred to here on HeyMow, that gets a little dicey. 

This is the part of your statement that I took offense to!
What I read into that was, If a group of racers are not affilated with a sanctioned body of some sort like the USLMRA,  then we aren't any good or we are to dangerous to race with.
The "independent" group I race with is very safety conscience and very serious about the sport, just like your organization except they don't have the insurance.( which I understand they are working on!) Come on out and watch a race with us maybe you'll change your opinion.

Ron Leavitt #2 1/2

Offline pjhusske

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 02:56:33 pm »
Ya Ron that is pretty low.
PJ Husske

Offline hack_job

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 02:59:23 pm »
A new "Outlaw" track opened 2 miles from my house and caught me interest. There is an ARMA group that runs 30 min. away from me and I want to race there but can't afford to this year because of the classes they run. I was planning on running Supper Stock but, they only have two classes, singles and twins.

There is alot of talk from the people running the "outlaw" track of trying to switch to ARMA for next year.
Checkers or Wrecker Racing
Understeer: when you hit the hay bale with the front of the mower.
Oversteer: when you hit the hay bale with the back of the mower.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the hay bale.
Torque: how far you take the hay bale with you.

Offline bountyhunter

• Ferris Michigan
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
  • 3 WIDE RACING #1 ,#19 ,#0x & the #55
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 03:06:33 pm »
I race at so called outlaw track like the builds for are group better, US. to restrictive when it comes to chassis and dont like lemans start. plus price of gas is killing me!! but all the US drivers I have talk to are great guys!!!

Offline pjhusske

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 03:26:25 pm »
There is alot of talk from the people running the "outlaw" track of trying to switch to ARMA for next year.

No need to wait until next year shoot start now. You want to race why wait????

I like. Them outlaw guys may have ideas that would work good in other ARMA or US.
If they need any help please feel free to check us out.
www.golawnmowerracing.com
PJ Husske

Offline povertyhillfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 07:43:28 pm »
Wow, what a hot topic!!  I dont consider our local track ( Twelve Mile ) outlaw or non sanctioned, heck they STARTED lawnmower racing 46+ years ago.  I ran an ARMA race 2 weeks ago, and they welcomed me even though I didnt spec up to them. A fine group of guys and gals. My machine didnt hold a candle to theirs on speed, but I only have  $400 in my ride. And it is built to race 15 miles each year on july 4th. This is a debate that will never be settled anyway. My suggestion is race, and welcome anyone as long as they have 3 things,   A thether kill,  A deadman throttle, and properly mounted wheels. after that you really are splitting hairs.     6.5hp rearengine rider
Scott Summers

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 12:19:53 pm »
You all are reading WAY to much between the lines!  Why can't Bruce give the benefits of the USLMRA?  Everyone else gave the benefits of ARMA.

You only took one sentence from his post and went off on it.  REREAD the first part of his post! 

Want to read between the lines..............he said race with any orginization as long as they have insurance!

All this US bashing makes me sick.  Tom (owner of this site) won't stand for it either.  Why does everyone have to push one orginazation over the other?  As long as they have insurance and have rules then what is the difference?
It is like Ford vs Chevy.  It don't matter, they are both pickups!!!

It just happens that the USLMRA and ARMA have local chapters all over the US.  Where other "small" clubs don't have the ability or the desire to expand and have chapters far away.

So Rooster, here is my advice.  Either join the USLMRA or ARMA.  That way if you ever decide to travel your mower will pass tech.  Plus they both are established orginizations and can get you up and running quickly.

if you want help or more opinions on the USLMRA shoot me a PM.  The Affiliated Club that I started works well and I will share my thoughts with you on that!

Oh yea,

Easy Parcheesy!

Paul
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 01:35:29 pm »
You all are reading WAY to much between the lines!  Why can't Bruce give the benefits of the USLMRA?  Everyone else gave the benefits of ARMA.

You only took one sentence from his post and went off on it.  REREAD the first part of his post! 

Want to read between the lines..............he said race with any orginization as long as they have insurance!

All this US bashing makes me sick.  Tom (owner of this site) won't stand for it either.  Why does everyone have to push one orginazation over the other?  As long as they have insurance and have rules then what is the difference?
It is like Ford vs Chevy.  It don't matter, they are both pickups!!!

It just happens that the USLMRA and ARMA have local chapters all over the US.  Where other "small" clubs don't have the ability or the desire to expand and have chapters far away.

So Rooster, here is my advice.  Either join the USLMRA or ARMA.  That way if you ever decide to travel your mower will pass tech.  Plus they both are established orginizations and can get you up and running quickly.

if you want help or more opinions on the USLMRA shoot me a PM.  The Affiliated Club that I started works well and I will share my thoughts with you on that!

Oh yea,

Easy Parcheesy!

Paul

It doesn't matter what the first part of his statement was!!!!!!

Its the second statement that struck the nerve!! Read it! its right there in black and white!

So its ok to bash "OUTLAW" groups on here, but Heaven forbid you say one little negative thing about the USLMRA!!! 

Doesn't "MRMOWITALL" know that probably 90% of all the sanctioned racers come from a so called "OUTLAW" group or as he put it "run what you brung" or The other term I am not allowed to say on here! Hail NASCAR started with a "run what you brung" mentality look where they are now!

And after reading through this thread I really don't see any "US" bashing going on. I however did read several statements praising the USLMRA, and a few "personal" opinions. We do still have the right to an opinion... Right? And ther is still freedom of speech... Right?  We must because you took a little stab at ARMA right in the beginning of your statement!  If you can't take it... Don't dish it out!

maybe your reading too much into it! Or maybe your just seeing what you want to see!
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 04:07:07 pm »
My opinion is the "National Organizations"  are sanctioned, organized, regulated, and provide insurance.

That is something the (can we call them?) "non-sanctioned" groups fall short on...

Ron you and I at the BTLMRA meet last year discussed the importance of insurance and the lack of it at some "non-sanctioned" events...

I believe that was the comparison Bruce was trying to make... USLMRA and ARMA have major player insurance programs in place "for the racer".. most non-sanctioned events do not...

I don't care how "very safety conscience and very serious about the sport" a group is when some one cartwheels down the front stretch who is paying the bill...?? and it's gonna happen... George knows his "National Organization" has good insurance because it was TESTED...

I happen to know from first hand experience that the USLMRA has excellent coverage as well because I TESTED it personally last year :omg:

I hope NO ONE gets them selves in the position to find out the non-sanctioned /independent or "whatever" organization they run with CAN'T PASS The TEST..!!!

Let's skip the "lables" and focus on the point...is that the kind of rsk you want to take...??

As much as I like racing I have to be able to go to work in the morning..

Let's be safe, smart and civil out there.....

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

anything