Author Topic: Why do you race at outlaw tracks?  (Read 20298 times)

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
Why do you race at outlaw tracks?
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:58:16 am »
We are working at starting a club in our area. We have looked at both US and ARMA, as well as starting out as an Outaw track. I know why we don't have any in our area already, but would like a broader sampling of opinions and advice.
We have used the advice of heymow psots extensively in building our mowchines, so only makes sense get your opinions on organization.

Please feel free to be honest complete and genuine, but refrain from "bashing" any organization or it's members.
If you simply don't like the Organizations rule's or bylaws, specifics would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline texasmower5

• View Profile
Re: Why do you race at outlaw tracks?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:19:35 am »
We are working at starting a club in our area. We have looked at both US and ARMA, as well as starting out as an Outaw track. I know why we don't have any in our area already, but would like a broader sampling of opinions and advice.
We have used the advice of heymow psots extensively in building our mowchines, so only makes sense get your opinions on organization.

Please feel free to be honest complete and genuine, but refrain from "bashing" any organization or it's members.
If you simply don't like the Organizations rule's or bylaws, specifics would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input.
Sounds like the same boat I was in 6-7 years ago.  People in this small farming community don't have the money to make a machine run fast.  But, there was an interest in mower racing.  When we started, we used all the safety features we could find.  We race during go-kart races at our local track.  So safety for the kids and us was most important.  So everyone would stay into the sport, we developed engine rules.  Using 12hp flatties, stock CAM, stock FLYWHEEL, stock CARB.  Any other mods were ok.  Racers did things to their engines without investing money they didn't have.  Racing has been great to this point, almost 10 years.  And the kids and crowd love watching us have fun every other weekend.  seymourspeedway.com

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:01:33 am »
ARMA was developd by the racer for the racer, I have been with both now and because ARMA is more geared to the racer and tends to support and give back to the everyday racer no matter who ya are thats the association for me. Much freindlier, and much more fun.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline amcchevy1

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:13:00 am »
 i usually run outlaw because tracks are closer and grouped together. ARMA has a few races close enough to run at but i cant go but so far to race, my schedule doesnt always match race schedule either.
2007, 2008 amra member.  modified flathead
2008-2010 arma member.  sportsman
If you build it, it should fly.
take it out and let it eat...
www.GoLawnMowerRacing.com
www.alleghanymowerracingassociation.com

Offline kohler guy

• Turf Warrior
  • Old Skool Racing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:59:06 am »
I am with AMCChevy1 here.... Schedule just doesnt always match to the ARMA/USLMRA. Also just cant go that far to race... Dont get me wrong here I am wanting to race but just not "Hardcore".  My machine would fall under IMOW/Super Stock specs but I run at an outlaw track with alot of buddies using all saftey gear....

Neck Braces
Tethers
ECT.....

Because these outlaw tracks are closer drive for me and more convienent on the schedule....

Kohler Guy
Craftsmen
Old Skool Racing #45
http://www.alleghanymowerracingassociation.com/

Stock Flathead Class

Offline mrmowitall

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.letsmow.com
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:45:46 pm »
"Much friendlier and much more fun" is a subjective statement which implies a racer will have a better time racing with one group as opposed to another, when what is closer to the truth is that you will very likely have fun with any sanctioned, organized, insured, well-run organization that takes safety, rules and well-run compeition seriously.  It is with the "Outlaw" or "Run What You Brung" type of groups - or "Backyard Bashers" as referred to here on HeyMow, that gets a little dicey. 

You will find that USLMRA offers all of these things, and this has been proven for 16 years.  We too, are by the racers for the racers insofaras our Rulebook is written by, Steering Committee is comprised of and Tech Inspection conducted by racers or former racers.

I am not a racer, which is a good thing, so those that know racing better than I can make competition decisions.   

USLMRA has 16 years of experience and you will find that many of the top racers, Local Chapter Presidents and even administrators here on HeyMow are USLMRA officials, LC Presidents and USLMRA members.

If you wish to learn more about USLMRA, then feel free to e-mail me at letsmow@aol.com or call at 847-729-7363.

Good luck in your future racing endeavors! 

Bruce Kaufman
Mr. Mow It All
Founder & Past President
U.S. Lawn Mower Racing Association
Founded April 1, 1992

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:40:32 pm »
I'm not totally sure but, I think Roosterlew is targeting this topic to non-santioned members who enjoy this sport but choose not to be apart of USLMRA or ARMA. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong Roosterlew.

I think those who are santioned members should sit back and just read the comments of the non-santioned members and not influence them one way or another, Bruce...George....

It's the candid comments that help organizations learn what the average racer wants in a organization so that we may learn and perhaps adjust to meet some of these needs.
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline amcchevy1

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 08:55:41 pm »
i am an ARMA member and an last year i ran with AMRA. i like to race lawnmowers. like i said earlier, i cant always drive that far or my schedule is all screwed up, so i run where i can. i also get with a few racers around here that have competitive mowers and race at other tracks. i have raced at cyclone speedway as well as another cart track and a car track. the biggest trick is that the mower i just built is legal for ARMA, USLMRA, and by building to those specs i am within regulations to run with AMRA. it also allows me to race locally. i like leaving my options open.
   you dont have to race with ARMA or USLMRA, just build to their rules or build to the tightest rules and it makes you legal everywhere else. i know some associations dont allow cart spindles and must run J or L spindles and minimum height of 6 or 6 1/2". it hurts them against the ones with the groups that do allow this but you can still be competetive. Sorry for the long winded spill but i think i got it all.
2007, 2008 amra member.  modified flathead
2008-2010 arma member.  sportsman
If you build it, it should fly.
take it out and let it eat...
www.GoLawnMowerRacing.com
www.alleghanymowerracingassociation.com

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 09:36:49 pm »
I'm not totally sure but, I think Roosterlew is targeting this topic to non-santioned members who enjoy this sport but choose not to be apart of USLMRA or ARMA. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong Roosterlew.
That was the target yes, but sanctioned members are free to chime in. As long as they behave LOL..did not start this to cause problems or hard feelings. Just looking for honest opinions.

I think those who are santioned members should sit back and just read the comments of the non-santioned members and not influence them one way or another, Bruce...George....
Would not be a bad idea, really wasn't my purpose, but maybe some of them would learn some thing.
On the other hand I welcome the advice of those who have been in as competitors and admin side.

It's the candid comments that help organizations learn what the average racer wants in a organization so that we may learn and perhaps adjust to meet some of these needs.
This is exactly what I was looking for, as we are working towards starting up, was hoping to get some guidance and ideas to help us along.

We have not yet decided which way to go,and hought this would help us out, looking to start something for next year.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline outlaw#6

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:55:35 pm »
I race with an "outlaw" group because it is the only place for me to race in a hundred and some mile radius, and we race every other weekend.

"Much friendlier and much more fun" is a subjective statement which implies a racer will have a better time racing with one group as opposed to another, when what is closer to the truth is that you will very likely have fun with any sanctioned, organized, insured, well-run organization that takes safety, rules and well-run compeition seriously.  It is with the "Outlaw" or "Run What You Brung" type of groups - or "Backyard Bashers" as referred to here on HeyMow, that gets a little dicey. 

This is the kind of post that aggrevates me the most. I don't think that "outlaw" racing groups and "backyard bashers" should be considered the same thing.

Granted, some "outlaw" groups may not have the safety rules that the USLMRA does, but, do not lump all "outlaw" groups together. Personally, I know that our "outlaw" group has all but one of the safety rules that the USLMRA does, and the safety of our drivers and spectators is first and foremost on our list of priorities.

EDIT: The one safety rule we do not have is that we do not require neck braces. Thought that I should clarify.

Brian Reis

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 11:08:06 pm »
I am a ARMA member! But I also race with the "OUTLAW" group AMRA.

Much friendlier and much more fun" is a subjective statement which implies a racer will have a better time racing with one group as opposed to another, when what is closer to the truth is that you will very likely have fun with any sanctioned, organized, insured, well-run organization that takes safety, rules and well-run compeition seriously.  It is with the "Outlaw" or "Run What You Brung" type of groups - or "Backyard Bashers" as referred to here on HeyMow, that gets a little dicey

I take offense to that as well!!! AMRA is a so called outlaw group that takes safety very serious. Maybe You should attend some "OUTLAW" races and see what is really going on before you condem them all, you might learn something.

Don't get me wrong here! I really like the idea of being a member of a sanctioned organization, such as ARMA! But when you can attend a well run race every other week, why wouldn't you?  The experience of racing with AMRA has always been great and I have  made several good friends from there as well! 

Do I wish they would become sanctioned?....... YES! Will they? Who knows.
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 12:12:56 am »
Much friendlier and much more fun" is a subjective statement which implies a racer will have a better time racing with one group as opposed to another

You are correct Mr. Kaufman, the racer you refer to is myself. If you look at the last sentence I even say its me. I was talking of myself and why I race where I race nothing more nothing less. And yes I have more fun with ARMA.  I simply gave my opinion as Rooster asked in his original post. Didn't know that was offensive. I also race with many different outlaw groups across the US and soon to be Canada. I plan on making an AMRA race and popping in on some other groups also. WHY because I like to race and its fun and I enjoy going and doing so and meeting the people. I also invite any outlaw or non sanctioned racer to come race with us at a BTMRA event. November 15 and 16th will be an open invitational  where every one can come together for 2 days OF RACING. and Fellowship. AND EVRYONE we do no longer use the term BACK YARD BASHER on this site. I have stated this before and will not say it again. WE all play or have played with our mowers in our back yards, well my front yard here but the point is we are all like minded in the fact we all love mowers for sport.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 12:22:16 am »
 The track I race at the most is an outlaw track that runs to AMRA rules. Mowdow Mower Sports in Whiteville NC.
It is with the "Outlaw" or "Run What You Brung" type of groups - or "Backyard Bashers" as referred to here on HeyMow, that gets a little dicey.  

This comment has struck a nerve.  The "outlaw" track I run at is a top notch track. It is not just a field that he bush hogged, it is a purpose build track that he has put gosh only knows how much time into.

And who is to say who is an outlaw group and who isn't? Who says ARMA and USLMRA are the only two affiliated organisations? what makes an affiliated organisation?  AMRA has a safe set of rules that have many different classes, very much like ARMA and USLMRA.

I am a member of ARMA and I have put every bit of $1,200 into it and STILL WON'T RUN WITH THE OTHERS!
All I am saying is that amra has a set of rules that you can build a fast and safe mower for cheap and still compete. Face it people, a doctor or lawyer who has money is not going to go to a lawn mower race and say "This is something I want to do".  We are going to attract "the common man" who does not have $2,000 just to build and go race.

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!!! .....................ANYTHING is Possible.

Offline outlaw#6

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 12:33:15 am »
the point is we are all like minded in the fact we all love mowers for sport.

Exactly
Brian Reis

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 12:37:28 am »
But benfield_boy we do have real Doctors and Lawyers that really race with us.... And some of them could buy whatever they wanted mower and engine wise and choose not to do so.....
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP