Author Topic: Installed Height  (Read 4312 times)

Wheelhorseracer

Installed Height
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:28:19 pm »
My service manual for the Kohler Magnum engines doesn't tell me the installed height of the springs... does anyone have the info on this.. or have had one out?

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Installed Height
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:29:34 pm »
Which Kohler magnum are you referring to? If you are using stock valves rotator/retainer cups, springs it shouldn't matter they will not coil bind. If you are changing any of the above geometry. Once you have them installed with the cam and lifters set to zero lash, check the seat pressure first before setting lifters to zero lash, if OK then set to zero lash run the cam up on top of the lobe and check to make sure the springs do not coil bind. also check retainer to guide clearance. If all looks good I would say that you have all your poop in a group! LOL
Bruce Litton

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:55:01 pm »
It is a magnum Opposed....

I was thinking about swapping springs instead of shimming them.. and if I have the installed height it would be easier to find a suitable spring

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:25:12 pm »
Just put the valve in the motor, put the retainers/locks on end of valve, use a small telescoping guage to measure the height between the top lip of the retainer and the ceiling of the valve box with the valve on the seat and with the valve on top of the lobe. That should get you started.
Bruce Litton

anything