Author Topic: making a sears dwell tach meter that is made for 8 cyl to work on 2 cyl  (Read 10277 times)

Offline briggsracer1892

• Turf Warrior
  • wheeee
    • View Profile
Any suggestions?
I am trying to make the tach work on my briggs opposed (grass cutter because lately it seems to be topping out a too low of a speed.

I already took it in and the guy told me the governer needed to be adjusted

I already messed with and replaced all of the gov. springs with factory replacemnets. how can i make the tach work on a two cyl. even though it is made for an 8 cyl.
sit down, hold on, shut up

Offline grantwt

• Turf Warrior
  • Hillbilly Racing #66
    • View Profile
If you just want to check the governor setting you can also get a machinists mechanical tach and hold it on the top or bottom of the crankshaft.

Does a dwell tach take the signal from your plug wire?  If so you just need to divide the reading on the tach reading by two and you have the motor RPM.  Ie a reading of 7200 means you are actually revving 3600.  However I doubt the gauge goes that high so you will probably not be able to do it.

If it takes it from the coil wire (Lead) you need to multiply the RPM by 4.  Ie a reading of 900 is 3600RPM.

If the dwell tach takes a reading from the negative side of the coil, you wont be able to use it.

Does it show my age when I dont know how to use a dwell meter :confused:?!?

Grant

Offline 300xdeere

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
To the best of my kowledge you can't. If you just looking to se your governor then pick your self up a tinny tack, just wrap around your spark plus wire and ground the other wire and your set.

Offline racing_guy1985

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
300xdeere is right I bought a tiny tach and that all there good for just one steady rpm that the way i would go to.
Nathan Koehler
#105 AP
arma member

Offline Dylan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
and the tiny tach is the only one that works on the opposed engines i belive.. i know the iquues ones dont work on them...
Dylan
03 Modified

www.westernontariooutlaws.com

Offline briggsracer1892

• Turf Warrior
  • wheeee
    • View Profile
How much is the tiny tach?

oh my tach looks like this

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/685484279.html

Offline 300xdeere

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Never seen one of those before, looks a little old but the tinny tach is only about 40$ i believe.
http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php

Offline briggsracer1892

• Turf Warrior
  • wheeee
    • View Profile
ok thank you i think i may just have to order one of those.