Author Topic: B&S vers Honda  (Read 23060 times)

Offline crapsmen

• View Profile
Re: B&S vers Honda
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 07:02:21 pm »
every body besides one person i know run b&s because there so easy to work on and the parts are every where. and if u manage there power right they can keep up with any motor u put it up againist

Offline bountyhunter

• Ferris Michigan
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
  • 3 WIDE RACING #1 ,#19 ,#0x & the #55
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 08:06:40 am »
there must be some reason the hondas are winning the fx class!! as far as parts they use this in karts so there a lots! of good stuff for them with lots of r and d behind them!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 09:02:16 am »
Technology, the hondas been used in karting much longer than the mower racing been serious about performance, Thus the technology to go fast supports the honda better.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 09:20:42 am »
I believe it is like FX28 said,the power is in the cylinder head.If you look at the ports right away you can see that they dont take a 90* turn at the valve like a lot of the OHV briggs do.Then when you look at the bottom end and see a forged steel crank instead of a cast crank like most other engines you can see that there is something to build on.
 Sorry bountyhunter I didnt get back to you on the parts and how they turned out.I installed the valve springs and retainers on one engine with a ported head that had been milled and the RPM's instantly went up around 1K without valve float.Then over the winter my son put one together with the cam but there was no racing so he put it on a snowmobile and tried it out.The cam we got was a torque cam and it worked good,the snowmobile would cruise at about 35-40mph and top out at 55mph.If we could have tuned the drive a bit better it might have worked better.There are not really any well organized clubs like you have anywhere close to me so I wont be able to give you a good comparison to another FX machine.I would have to say that you wont be dissapointed by the quality of the Honda engine,and they can be made to perform well.
David Peters

Offline bountyhunter

• Ferris Michigan
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 10:08:57 am »
Yes Ive seen pics of the Honda heads (stock)and was inpressed with the design ,seeing that a head design plays a big! part in making hp! as I think Ive heard someone! say flow flow flow = HP HP HP!!  ;)

Offline bountyhunter

• Ferris Michigan
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 02:25:22 pm »
Ok thought I would update I ran Briggs 31 last year broke valve on last race cost us a top 5 points finish! will not run a other one tell they come up with better valves!! and crank shaft!!!

Offline tractor88

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 08:20:47 am »
ferris cant wait for your honda motor an see it run.Im all for tring new things,and gaining more hp,but our tracks can only handle so much power!Like my motor,I like to call it money well wasted.And yes hitch has it right now to get me even more(but that is for ohio,labor day i believe)you and mike had some good runs last year with your little motor,you beat some guys in the points that had more power.Power dont hurt,but chassie and driver is just as important just my opionion.Cant wait to get started this year.
Jeremy

grasskickers super mod champ and proud racer for coffin racin

Offline bountyhunter

• Ferris Michigan
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 04:48:32 pm »
Jeremy.
          thanks we were happy over all with season! for no more that the briggs had done to it,it ran good!! but as you said Chassis and Driver( Mikes as good as anyone) played a big part in it! we miss the first race and got slamed into wall once and hit a guy that spun out in front of us so we had to settle for lat place points!or we would have done better points wise! but main reason I want ta build Honda is they hold up better! and we need a little more hp!and want to build new chassis no theres still more there!! Its hard ta run V twins with Single!! again thanks for good words and I cant wait!! oh dont know if Ill have the Honda done this year! broke my ankle so kind of hurt.n money wise! Ferris

Offline bountyhunter

• Ferris Michigan
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 04:14:01 pm »
Ok finally got back ta Honda verT. gxv 390 the head intake port dont look as nice as the horizontal heads (design wise)but not bad ether! we will find out hopefully 6-6-2010 as hope ta have it ready for next race! will start out stock and go from there!