Author Topic: Identifying Lawn Mower Transmissions  (Read 315330 times)

Offline Scott P.

• View Profile
Re: Identifying Lawn Mower Transmissions
« Reply #270 on: August 01, 2014, 09:15:20 am »
Thanks for the help. I have a couple blown up transaxles so hopefully I will have some axles that will fit.

What fluid should I put in this thing and how much? I read somewhere some 80/90 gear oil and then in a different thread they recommended that Peerless stuff.

He was right about the axles. I did not notice until he said something.
You have a few options. With all the blown up transaxles you have you might have some that will work. If not you will have to put key ways in those axles. You wouldn't want to use the wheels that came with that transaxle, they are thin and bend. If they don't bend the drives will strip on the wheels.
However , the axles are case hardened. A typical keyway cutter or end mill will not cut them. The easiest way to key them would be with a grinder. Sand which 2 cut off blades together, or maybe 3 depending on thickness. Then just grind a key way in them.

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 01, 2014, 04:56:06 pm »
Doing what you are doing, it probably wont last long anyhow, so I would fill it with cheap vegetable oil to cut down on the drag..Plus it will smell better when it cooks..

Most everyone runs some type of 80w90 gear lube in their transaxles except a select few who run 820's with bentonite and STP or some other additive.

If your not shifting that thing, go to a kart axle with a right angle gear box and set your ratio with your sprockets. Clutch the belt from the engine to the gear box.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline Scott P.

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 01, 2014, 05:35:30 pm »
For the drag racing my biggest problem was case strength. Typically what fails for me is the case, the differential gets so loaded up that it blows out of the case. However I have been running those smaller transaxles, this will be my first Peerless transmission.

Doing what you are doing, it probably wont last long anyhow, so I would fill it with cheap vegetable oil to cut down on the drag..Plus it will smell better when it cooks..

Most everyone runs some type of 80w90 gear lube in their transaxles except a select few who run 820's with bentonite and STP or some other additive.

If your not shifting that thing, go to a kart axle with a right angle gear box and set your ratio with your sprockets. Clutch the belt from the engine to the gear box.

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 01, 2014, 06:24:29 pm »
A transmission does not have axles, a transaxle does.
No matter what you were using before, spicer, ECt., don't expect that peerless to hold up any better.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 04, 2014, 01:25:17 pm »
800 series Peerless 5 speed his one is an 806 model...

Top...

This is a great transaxle to use for IMOW.  All the shifter gears, shift keys, input and bevel gear are the same as the 700.  The bevel gear is cast however.  Once you change the bevel gear to a steel gear and weld the spider gears up, they are indestructible for IMOW type classes.
Dan Borba

Offline Mowermangreg

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 07, 2014, 11:16:13 am »
Here's another fine Foote...Believe it's a 4360 5 spped came out of a 93 Murrey
Top...

Bottom...

Back...Skinney little bugger... :shock:

Side...

Other side...

Looks like I've just found my transaxle lol

Which is admittedly a little disappointing considering I was led to believe my rig had a peerless but that's OK.
It's in what I believe is a 1985 craftsman II (16hp oppy twin)

So my question is, how does it hold up for racing? Easy to weld?

Sorry if this has already been answered in this thread, my phone isn't cooperating with me and I can't go through the pages.

Offline fastlanebilly

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 15, 2015, 07:53:41 pm »
I have a craftsman lt 4000 with a 6speed can u tell me much about it via pm?

Offline fubari33t

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 30, 2016, 06:30:33 pm »
Identify: Spicer, shifted moves to 6 posistions. Sticker un-readable numbers that did faintly show were 450. And next line 5. Brake on top not side. 2 mount holes, not 4.  

Sent from my LG-AS990 using Tapatalk

Offline BuiltTough

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 15, 2018, 03:56:39 am »
yep a  tough little number ''for a foote''some of them have4 shift keys just like a peerless modle #4360-101 locked rear and outward axle berings stock

that explains it. i knew there had to be another model with the top cover cast for bearings. the 4360-7 is only cast in the bottom housing. (i cut the top bearing slots out by hand with my dremel to let me have them.)

the rest of the parts are interchangable, so i may look at grabbing a 4key shaft for mine as well as the better shifting fork. looks like its used in john deer equiment (part num AM120937), so i guess i know just who to talk to.

Offline Alliesman

• Our Greatest Mission Is To See God's Kingdom Come
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2018, 11:04:26 pm »
what about a foote 3864? how are these for just playin around? its a 5 or 6 speed i can't tell right now as i am not outside looking at the mower itself
Jesus is coming back SOON, are you ready?
   ! ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT ETERNAL FIRES !

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 13, 2018, 11:50:27 am »
Go Peerless!!! Foot will leave you broke down with no parts.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"