Author Topic: tires  (Read 13415 times)

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
tires
« on: May 21, 2006, 11:47:43 pm »
is nearower or wide tires good in front if you go to my mower jamie guy in post your pict.... mower tell me whats rigth because it slide from front end thanks
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
tires
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:13:51 am »
Don't suppose you have some better pictures of the front end? Dr. Squidd's going to need them to diagnose the problem!

There are several things that could affect your handling characteristics around the corners... caster or camber, toe in or out, kingpin inclination, tire pressures, tread pattern, wear factor on the tires, and even weight transfer if you locked the rear end. If you locked it, you may need to transfer weight off your inside rear tire otherwise you're going to develop a push through the corner because both rear wheels turning at the same speed are going to have a tendency to drive you straight forward, and they're larger and have more weight on them.

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 06:13:53 am »
i will take a picture today of front end put the it on the computer after work
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:47:27 am »
this my front end made it my self a little bit off elbow grease and welding and i did it denis
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:49:20 am »
other view
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 06:52:02 am »
First thing I see is those "junk yard" tires... Those "Diamond" shapes dont give much traction and when they get old they get harder and even more slippery...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 06:55:49 am »
i have more flat tires in the shed about 6 inch wide i can put on
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 07:24:38 am »
the one in the shed are like dose in the back they are marke turf on it
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
tires
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 09:06:12 am »
Well from what I see geometry is way off looking at tires in relation to rear the right front is lower then the left front this is the opposite of what you want. with equal air in all 4 tires  and mower sitting on 4 cheap bathroom scales the left front should be heavier than the right front app. 10lbs to start with this will also make the right rear heavier than the left rear. This goes back to weight transfer. Then run app. 10 to 12 degrees caster on both wheels. With no kingpin inclination run app 3 degrees camber right front and 0-1 on the left front. Equal tire pressure on both fronts to start with. app. 4l;:censored: left rear then app. 12 on right rear. This should make it turn some but unless the left front is heavier than the right you gonna have a hard time turning it regardless of what tire you run
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 11:25:01 pm »
GEorge did you say run 4 lbs in the left rear and 12 in the right rear?
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 12:11:51 am »
Yep, creates a bit of "stagger" in the rear tires which helps unload the left rear in a turn and spin free...

Jamie Guy mentioned in another thread that he was an old "stock car racer" and from that perspective, what he did makes sence...

On a stock car (dirt track) you want to preload the right front, run a bigger tire and or crank up the spring jack...

But that's because on a stock car you have suspension and the car rolls on it's roll center unloading the LR tire often too much so you pre load the RF to keep it down...

On a Mower we don't have the twist of a suspension, so the opposite is true...With the chassis set the way he has the RF tire keeps the weight on the LR tire in the turn and the rear over powers the steering and the mowchine "pushes" and does not turn....We "want" to unload the LR tire to get it to turn...

That means "balancing" the mowchine on the LF and RR tire rolling into the RF tire and picking up the LR...

That cross balance can come from the stager in tire pressure George mentioned and/or from the axle inclination from the caster effect on the LF tire in a left turn...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline matt25001149

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.WesternOntarioOutlaws.com
tires
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 12:55:35 am »
ya that seems like a bunch of bumble jumble but it makes sense i tryed it and just goin round my yard i can turn better and i dont almost run into trees nemore loli miss them completely its a good thing i have good brakes lol
#87 Outlaw
Western Ontario Outlaws

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 01:42:30 pm »
ok that makes sense to me Squidd, this whole time I have been trying to set up like you would a car. I am running 16x7.50 x8 on the rear with no tubes do you think I will have a problem with the tire coming off the bead in a hard turn? Also I know I am trying to get too much info but I am running 13x6.50x6 on the front can you suggest a good air pressure to start with on these I am racing on a dirt car track packed  red mudd is what I call it ?
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 05:25:41 pm »
when i look on my stock car from front we put a bigger tire on the left side you say on a tractor you go the oppesette lest air on the on the left when you look from the front thanks
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
tires
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 08:36:28 pm »
The caster (leaning the spindle forward or back) has a lot of effect on getting the rear tire to break traction on the inside rear and make the front tires stear. I would start with positive caster(easy to do,cut the c shaped pieces off and lean them back) and then look at moving the seat forward in front of the rear axel.
David Peters

anything